October 2021

Forums Monthly Challenges October 2021

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
      Silks Stars Team

Option 1: Straddle Thread into Crunchy Knee Catch
      Option 2: Assistant Split into Angel Wings (mini-rig)
      Share your comments, questions, and work from this month’s combination below!

Tanya.Campos
      Participant

Hi Brett and Rachel! I’m starting the challenge early (for a change hehe). I’m getting stuck on the exit after the bird’s nest. On the way back from the bird’s nest, the fabric doesn’t slide down to my knees and I end up in same position. Any tips and feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much! Below is the video of my attempt:
      https://www.silksstars.com/community/tanya-campos/media/1585/

Silks Stars Team

Hi Tanya! Great start here, split looks gorge. After Birds nest instead of pulling up, straighten your arms and drop your hips/bottom towards the floor, this will allow the fabric to slide to your knees. 🙂

Tanya.Campos
        Participant

Thank you so much! Will try that!🤩

Chriskers
      Participant

Hi there! I’m using my hands to push away from the silk as I go back after my legs are in the loops. Is this ok? I kind of slide down a little as I go back and invert too.

https://www.silksstars.com/community/chriskers/media/1583/

Silks Stars Team

Looking great so far! Yes, its ok, maybe try a tighter grip on the tails after you push back to invert. Let us know how it goes!

Chriskers
        Participant

Thank you!! Ok will do

karenfox
      Participant

Hi Brett and Rachel,

This sequence looks fun! Did not get the usual email this month. Did you stop sending reminders? Just to know; I can always look up here.
      Ta,

Karen

karenfox
      Participant

Ok
      Sorry. I thought I missed t.

I do seem to have been having little blips in the technology department. Ha.

Thank you

Karen

Janice
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/janice/media/1588/

Hi. I look forward to your coaching…
      1) With my Silks height, I am able to do the trick where you plank then knee drop. Therefore, I am planning to do the regular-sized-rig sequence, but I will end here: knee drop / pike/ straddle down. Please confirm this is fine.
      2) I tried the first part of the sequence. Please see my video to see what is wrong (note: tried it low first). After creating the loops around my feet, what’s your guide on knowing how far apart the 2 legs should be positioned before I start to rotate forward?
      3) To maintain the looped tension while rotating, should it be more about pushing with the feet or pulling with my hands?
      4) It seems I was not fully upright yet as I grabbed the poles. Should I be arching at a certain point?
      5) After the knees/feet go through the loops, I tried the flip back action.. but no success. The more I try, the more “locked” I become as I end up with a back balance. It would be cool to have the power and technique to do it your way. Otherwise, I was thinking of just continuing to hold the poles to help me be able to straddle back.

Thanks for this month’s challenge.

Silks Stars Team

Hi Janice!
        1) Yes, that is fine.
        2) Your leg position looks just right to begin the forward rotation.
        3) It is a simultaneous push/pull/hand slide
        4) Try holding the tails with your arms a bit more bent, when you grab the poles, try to grab so your hands are more in front of your shoulders. Also- drive your feet down to the ground more/ so they slide through the loops.
        5) We think the shorter grip/arms bent not fully extended/ then switch to long arm will help this part be more smooth as well.

You’re welcome!

Janice
        Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/janice/media/1596/

Thanks for your tips. I’d appreciate feedback on how to improve this (see video). I did a hybrid of the regular + mini rig version. So it’s now like a straddle thread to ticktock to angel wings. I didn’t have the height to prepare further up for a knee catch. The backward straddle (after inserting legs into the loops) is still a struggle. But I really want to learn Rachel’s version where I don’t need to push with the poles. Thanks.

Silks Stars Team

Rachel will cover all of this in next weeks Q and A!

Dorag
      Participant

Hi! It looks like there’s still some problem with the uploaded videos. I can see Tanya’s and Janice’s video only on my computer but not on my phone. I cannot watch Chriskers’s video at all.

Silks Stars Team

Hi Dora- we are working on fixing this issue. Thank you for your patience, and we are so sorry for the inconvenience!

karenfox
      Participant

Cannot thread my feet through the loops to perform the slack. Is there a particular placement of torso and/or legs when I am to be able to do this?

Silks Stars Team

HI Karen! If you can, would you mind to post a video of your practice? It will help us too have a visual of what you’re doing.

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/jill-b-lovin-aerial/media/1593/

HELLLLLLLLLLP! 🤣🤣🤣 Please! I’m definitely struggling to stay even in the first split. I feel like I’m actually LEADING with my left which you can clearly see I am not! 😂 Is there a truck or exercise to help me improve this? And then the back arch 🤦🏼‍♀️ I’m just stuck! I know you said we could put tails over shoulders and push, but is there a way to practice that arch other than just continuing to try and using Rachel’s back bend video? Thank a bunch! I’m already loving it! So fun! Will be more fun as I improve! Love this community! 💖💚

Silks Stars Team

Hi Jill! I know, this one is a real toughy! It takes lots of drilling to get the legs even. I would suggest ground drilling it, and also- watching the legs as much as possible as you lower them, at first as it gets easier. In terms of the back arch- yes also very tough! Try beginning as the legs are lowering with a short arm grip, then once the legs are through the loops, bend legs as much as possible and switch to a longer arm grip. Reach as far as possible over your head, and arch like crazy. Give this a few whirls. Also- timing is a factor. If you can begin the arch back as soon as the legs are throughout the loops this will help. Let us know how it goes!

Manon
      Participant

Could we add something at the beginning or at the end of the mini-rig version to make it longer ? It feels quite short compare to the regular rig one. If yes, do you have some suggestions ? Thank you so such.

Silks Stars Team

Hi Manon!
        Absolutely! You can add a climb (check foundations page for ideas), and a decent of your choice. We are excited to see what you choose!

Yvan
      Participant

Awesome sequence again!
      I think I managed to record a video with all that needs to be avoided when doing THE inversion. Maybe u can see a way forward or a focus point from my video? Feedback appreciated 🙆🏻‍♂️❤️

Maybe legs in frog position could help?

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/1594/

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Yvan.
        Silks Stars Team

Hi Yvan!
        Awesome video- and great progress so far! Yes, for sure- bending your legs/bringing weight closer to your center should help.

Try beginning as the legs are lowering with a short arm grip, then once the legs are through the loops, bend legs as much as possible and switch to a longer arm grip. Reach as far as possible over your head, and arch like crazy. Give this a few whirls. Also- timing is a factor. If you can begin the arch back as soon as the legs are throughout the loops this will help. Let us know how it goes!

karenfox
      Participant

Hi,

I surely will. all this time I thought I was only permitted to send one video.

Silks Stars Team

Hi! Yes you are correct, however for coaching purposes, you can post a training video and then delete it after your question is answered!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/jill-b-lovin-aerial/media/1597/
      Really LOVING THIS! Thank you! 😘 Now some questions:
      1- What exactly is ground drilling?
      2- I’m not sure I totally understand what I’m supposed to be doing with the short arm grip and timing. Am I on the right track? Arch faster, as I’m lowering in to the loops?

Silks Stars Team

Hi!
        1- Ground drilling, meaning practicing the leg lowering part ( before they go in the loops ) on the ground so you can work towards even-ness before you take it to the air.
        2- Yes you are on the right track! Yes, arch sooner. Rachel will go over these questions more in depth during next weeks Q and A!

Chriskers
      Participant

Can this be turned into a drop after your legs are in the loops?

October challenge

Silks Stars Team

Hi!
        Rachel will go over this idea in next weeks Q and A!

Manon
      Participant

I had downloaded one of my attempt to the October mini-rig challenge. It’s still converting. I can’t copy it to link it here. Am I doing something wrong ? I need help with how to improve the placement of the tails around the feet before the split. I have a really hard time keeping my legs straight. I also have to improve my inversion and my crochet. Any other comments will be welcome.

Silks Stars Team

Hi Manon! We are working on fixing the upload issues right now. If you are on Instagram, you can post a link to that?

In terms of the split, you can try bending your knees and do one at a time, with extra slack so that you can straighten them after. Let us know how that goes. Also- Rachel will be covering all this during Thursday’s Q and A…..

Manon
        Participant

Here’s the Instagram link. Let me know if it’s not working. And thank you so much for your very helpful recommendations.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CU5lylbFmufkmEuEAPuHrpS87nLbtlGKrPNcY40/?utm_medium=copy_link

Silks Stars Team

Hi again-
        Ok, great, this link works perfectly. And, dang girl- your split is gorgeous! For your straddle up, just work on extending your feet more- it’s ok to invert with bent legs if you would like. Your crochet looks good too. I know the foot wrap is tough with straight legs, especially if you have long legs. Have you tried bending and doing it one foot at a time? Great work!

Manon
        Participant

Thank you so much ! I will work on it !

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/jill-b-lovin-aerial/media/1603/

So this is where I am currently at for this month. I would LOVE feedback on how to improve. I AM trying to arch sooner, but as you can see I’m still not successful. I’ve also tried opening my knees out to the side to try to keep my center of gravity compact, but still just not quite getting it. Would so appreciate any suggestions on any of it! THANK YOU! Sure am loving all of this! Fee better Rachel!

Silks Stars Team

Hi Jill! You are looking fantastic! Do not worry about that arch back part- it is perfectly ok to use the poles to lean back. Really, everything looks great. Just keep smoothing out all your transitions. After that final long leg arch at the end, bend your knees sooner and sharp to make that last knee drop more dynamic. Great work!

Kary
      Participant
        Silks Stars Team

Wow Kary! So fun and dynamic, love your music! Great work so far!!!

Chriskers
      Participant

I was not there for qna on Thursday. Working!! Is there a secret to the beginning where you slide into the loops and straddle back?

Jenny
      Participant

Hi guys. Here’s my first practise day of the whole thing up high….four climbs is a psychological challenge for me …haha. I guess a little fear is ok so as not to get too cocky … I would appreciate any feed back! 🙂

https://www.silksstars.com/wp-content/uploads/rtMedia/users/154/2021/10/october-practise.mov?1634250021

Helene
      Participant

Hi Brett and Rachel,

I have already so many training-failed attempt😜-videos of this month challenge, it’s getting harder to figure out which one was the best.
      Might be this one:

I struggle with several points:
      – the no hand arch inversion. I have tried to apply all the tips you already provided but still can’t make it. I feel I am unable to arch enough And keep the core engaged enough to lift up.
      – I feel my front balance is not horizontal enough. I feel stuck and so squeeze in the wraps that I can’t really correct my position.
      -the knee crunch part feels more like an uncomfortable slide than a drop even when I barely grip the tails.

Would you have any tips to improve?

Thanks a lot!

Silks Stars Team

Hi Helene!
        Very nice work so far-
        It’s perfectly fine to use the poles to arch back. Your front balance also looks perfect. On the last knee drop, after the long body arch- bend your knees faster and sharper to make it more dynamic. Really, you are doing great! Just keep drilling the whole sequence to smooth it out. Well done!

Helene
        Participant

Thank you for your encouragements and advices!

Silks Stars Team

You’re welcome!

susi
      Participant

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CVJ_yOQhqJO/?utm_medium=copy_link Hello! Here’s the link to my insta practicing mini rig version of this month challenge! I really wish I had a middle split to soften that transition 😂 but I love this sequence, thank you! 🙏

Silks Stars Team

Looking good, Susi! Gorgeous spinning split!

susi
        Participant

yeah thank you! 🙂

Caro
      Participant

Hi team. Any general feedback on my attempt would be wonderful: https://www.silksstars.com/community/caro/media/1609/
      I was very uncertain sitting up after the part where I wrap the silks around my feet in a pike and sit up into a straddle. There is a bit that feels very precarious if you want to do it with flow where you are transitioning to upright but haven’t grabbed the poles again yet. I also found the final bit tricky to get the silk loop to fall to my knees after the back arch. Thanks. Caro

Silks Stars Team

Hi There-
        Rachel will cover these issues in todays Q and A!

Yvan
      Participant

Hi! Today I went finally for the whole sequence… I had not yet seen the star qualities as I was sill learning the technicalities of the sequence so please forgive the absence of artistry.

An issue I found today was that I sometimes ended up in an ankle hang instead of a knee hang. I am not sure why it was happening. Any clue? Thanks!

You can see below my best trial from today. Feedback appreciated 🙂

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/1610/

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

I’m not having any luck so far on finding/making a costume that doesn’t interfere with my movement. Does a decorated, Halloween themed background count? 🤣 Just thought I’d ask!

Silks Stars Team

Hi Jill! Yes, as long as you have a cohesive theme- background, make up, and at least the proper color of what you’re wearing to represent your theme, then yes!

Caro
      Participant

Hi. I’m really finding the sit up from straddle and then the arch back again really challenging. Are there tricks. I’ve recorded my attempt from today. I’m finding both as challenging as each other!When sitting up are you pulling much tension on the tails? And how do you get the flip/switch to upright to happen? I’m trying to arch my back/poke my bum out which seems to help sometimes. You’ll also see that the loops still catch on my thighs for the knee drop at the end. https://www.silksstars.com/community/caro/media/1622/

Silks Stars Team

Hi Caro! Check out the replay of this months Q and A. Rachel goes over all these issues!

Caro
        Participant

Hi Thanks I’ve watched the replay the day after. It was great. But I’m still having problems. I’ll watch again now for more tips in case there is something I missed.

Caro
        Participant

Great – I’ve had a second look through the replay. And thanks again for the Q&A, I find them really useful. I do still have some questions that weren’t answered (or I couldn’t find it):
        – Early in the sequence after you loop the silks around your feet and move to the straddle – what are the cues/hints/tips/sequence for rotating back to upright in the straddle? Rachel kindly talked in the Q&A about how it’s precarious so I’ve been practicing that bit lots including down low. I’ve been trying to come up with even hips as discussed in Q&A too, but that’s not really my challenge. My challenge is getting it to tip back upright at all. I feel like arching my lower back and poking my bum out helps a little. But hard to figure out the balance of where my legs should be in the split before and as I’m tipping upright and what the cues are for tipping. Could you have a look at my vid and see if you have any hints/cues? It looks so effortless when Rachel does it!
        – Pagoda/Scorpian to ankle hang – I’m pulling to get a good back arch and then loosening (as discussed in Q&A) and trying to quickly drop. But it’s still sticking. Have I understood correctly? Can you have a look at my vid to see if you have any hints?
        _ Rachel does a double cross back in the demos on the Q&A – can we do that, what are the advantages?
        Thanks so much, and thanks for your patience as I try and get this.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Caro.
        • This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Caro.
        Silks Stars Team

Hi Caro!
        We watched your video and everything is coming along nicely.

Regarding tipping upright after looping the feet- As you let the fabric slide through your hands, you want to simultaneously circle the legs and drive your feet towards the ground. Engaging with your lower core to drive down, and also engage with your upper core to bring your upper body up. You can make a knot in your fabric (or use a hammock ), and drill this action separately. Hang in your inverted pike, and circle the legs down to sit up.

Re- pagoda to knee drop- Yes, you’ve understood correctly. Try an even looser grip and bend your knees with more energy.

– Double cross will add more security.

Hope that helps! Let us know how it goes….

Caro
        Participant

Thank team! I really appreciate the tips. I’ve been really sick unfortunately so haven’t been able to put them into action. I still have my fingers crossed for tomorrow. But if I’m still not well I might miss this months submission deadline. Can’t argue with a sick body! And I’ll still try and get it later so still appreciate the tips. C

karenfox
      Participant

Well, after I figured out that leg slide, the rest was a welcome ease. I enjoy learning all these ways yhat you have devised to get into a crochet with double leg wraps!!!
      My next two runs had better lines, but I am sharing this one…as I like where I am going with the chosen music. ONE DAY I HOPE TO send something that is not rushed and underrehearsed.

https://www.silksstars.com/community/karenfox/media/1623/

karenfox
      Participant

HI,

I received an email, asking me to upload my video for October. Just checkin in again. I uploaded on October 26. Please let me know if I need to redo.
      Thank you,

Karen

Silks Stars Team

Hi!
        No need to redo, your video is up and viewable on our side. Thank you so much!!!

aerialranger
      Participant

Link to October submission. Seem to have difficulty in upload on profile. It’s there, but it won’t replay on my end, says version not supported? Hopefully Instagram link works!

Hello!

Wondering if I could send in my final attempt on Nov 1st- we are getting a beautiful sunny day on Monday which will allow me to film in my backyard again.

Lmk!
      ❤️

A week into October, I found out I was going to be performing at a 4 day camping festival for the weekend of Halloween. I spent those next 3 weeks scrambling to be ready, and unfortunately the challenge for this month didn’t get the attention I wish I could have given it. I told myself I would try to get a video in costume at the festival, but the entire weekend was chaotic and I didn’t even have service to upload any video before today. I’m trying not to beat myself up and be happy I was able to work on it at all. This is the last video I took of training the sequence. I’m so sorry it’s late and lacking a creative costume! October submission

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.