March 2022

Forums Monthly Challenges March 2022

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      Silks Stars Team

Option 1: Uneven Split Cocoon into Ankle Hang Sail Spin
      Option 2: (mini-rig) Uneven Split Cocoon into Ankle Hang Spin
      Share your comments, questions, and work from this month’s combination below!

Caitlin
      Participant

Thank you for another wonderful combo! Any tips for working on the positioning for the footlock? I feel so very awkward in that position!

Silks Stars Team

Hi Caitlin, yes that footlock position is tricky. Try to pull enough slack with your right hand to create the footlock smoothly. Lots of repetition will help also of course!

Cathy
      Participant

So I have a pretty high rig point (18+’) and I’ve tried the sequence a number of times. If I position myself at the top so that I don’t get tangled with the top of the rig point, I lose too much height with the split to have room for the ankle hang at the bottom. I can’t get the foot wrap any higher because I don’t have enough flexibility. I can kick into the foot hang, but only have about 2/3 of my body length to the ground. I can basically do a pretty pose then climb out of it. Any tips? Also, I think I’m getting an extra wrap of the loose silk around the other pole before going into the cocoon. I have to unwrap it once before I sling the silk around into the cocoon. I can’t figure out what I’m doing to cause that. Also, will it matter in the long run?

Silks Stars Team

Hi Cathy!
        Rachel says-
        If you can’t fit the full combo you can do the mini rig version where u climb up before ankle hang. It is normal to have one wrap around the pole before the cocoon, this stays there for the rest of the combo and shouldn’t effect the exit.
        Let us know how it goes!

Robin
      Participant

Wow this one has been challenging. Getting the footlock on and sliding “smoothly” through is not easy!! I am glad March is long. I share this space so excuse the chat. https://www.silksstars.com/community/robin/media/2152/

Continue
      Participant

Hi!
      This is the best I can get before relocating to UK. Hope I will be able to find a studio for more silks stars after settling in.

Great fun with March challenge and wish you all have a blast!

https://www.silksstars.com/community/continue/media/2154/

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

2 questions: first, how do I keep the back loop on my knee or higher so I can sink down in to the splits? The loop on my left leg is sliding up in my leg and then there is not enough space to sink down in to the splits.
      Second, where do I find passwords for previous Q & A’s? Specifically the Loop Splits.
      Thank you!!!! Loving every minute of this!!!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

I give up! I have no idea what I’m doing! 🤷🏼‍♀️

Robin
      Participant

I hope this is the right thread. I have tried with music now. Sometimes I still struggle getting into footlock, and sliding to splits. Also I didn’t end it nicely.
      https://www.silksstars.com/community/robin/media/2157/

Silks Stars Team

Robin, your progress is lovely! Lovely song too!

HaleneW
      Participant

Any tips for someone who has a 90 degree straddle and doesn’t have active splits (can get close to passive ones)? It seems like one probably has to have both of those to do this one, but maybe I’m wrong. I keep sliding down the side with the slack after I move my head out because I can’t keep the wrap high enough on my leg, and if I slide my left hand down prior to footlock (to make my left leg higher) my (lack of) straddle prevents the footlock. I don’t really have a good video.

Ogie
      Participant

Hi Rachel, Hi all, Any tips for the part from the footlock into the split, for not so flexible people? I bent a leg now, but it is a struggle to come in, especially getting the line from the shoulder and the height difference between the footlock and the poles. I could use some flow tips….

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Ogie.
      Josyne
      Participant

Hello! First time trying this, and I’m having a though time with getting the footlock. The positioning is kinda awkward, and it’s kinda tricky to even make my foot wrap around the silk. Tips would be very much appreciated!

Josyne
      Participant

Hello! First time trying this, and I’m having a though time with getting the footlock. The positioning is kinda awkward, and it’s kinda tricky to even make my foot wrap around the silk. Tips would be very much appreciated!

https://www.silksstars.com/community/josyne/media/2170/

Silks Stars Team

Hello! Rachel will go over all these great questions during today’s Q and A!

Janice
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/janice/media/2180/

Hi. I’d appreciate feedback on my March training video…
      1) I angled the camera in a way where you can see the carabiner. Looks like I cannot go any higher than this as the the poles already got twisted when I swung overhead the left pole all around (but it got untwisted eventually). In the end, in the ankle hang part, my hair touches the mat, but not my head. Do you think I should convert to the mini-rig version, or you think this is ok (i.e doing the regular-rig version)?
      2) That footlock is really a challenge. Do point out things that I should have avoided, so that the footlock can get smoother. In this video….. it was a mess 🙁
      3) Any other comments would be appreciated.

I find the Silks so beautiful when they look like a sail indeed. Thanks for this gorgeous sequence 🙂

Silks Stars Team

Hi Janice-
        You can definitely start higher, you have enough room for the regular version. For the foot lock- drill it! A million times makes perfect.

Audasilk
      Participant

Hello everyone!
      I have 18 feet high and i don’t think i’m loosing so much height but i could not do the spin after the ankle hang as my head is literaly on the floor 😑
      Please help 🥺

https://www.silksstars.com/community/audasilk/media/2181/

Silks Stars Team

Hi there-
        When you wrap your foot, try to pull less slack. Let us know if that helps!

Janice
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback. Will be working on that footlock ten million times 🙂

Audasilk
      Participant

Ok i will try that.
      Thx!

Chriskers
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/chriskers/media/2182

The footlock at the end is hard for me because it squeezes my foot and is painful almost. Am I doing it right? Any suggestions? Does it squeeze everyone’s foot? Not to mention the grip at the beginning is super challenging! Hopefully the video posted is not my final product 😅

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Chriskers.
      • This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Chriskers.
        Silks Stars Team

Hi! Looking great so far! Do you mean the footlock hang at the very end? If so- yes, super painful! Over time your skin ( and entire foot) will toughen up and adapt- it will become less uncomfortable.

Janice
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/janice/media/2184/

Hi. I’d really appreciate feedback on this video of the March challenge. I might have time to do another shoot on Sunday so I’d appreciate your comments in time for that. And you’re right about trying many many many times to keep doing the challenging footlock 🙂

Silks Stars Team

Nice progress, Janice! And yes- foot lock is much more smooth!

For more polish to this routine-
        1- I’d love to see you refine/define your leg line/shape (the back leg) during the part where you move your head to the other side of the pole, before the split. Think about engaging that entire leg, with a beautifully pointed foot, and draw it behind you into he split, with intention.
        2- For the ankle hang spin- try to pick up more of the fabric tail and throw it in the spin off the ground entirely. I know you are low to the mat, but thinking if you hold more of the tail, you can achieve a better spin.

Janice
        Participant

Thanks for these valuable coaching.

cwmacy
      Participant

Hi, I’m about to give up. I can’t seem to get past the foot lock. I’ve tried about 20 times: with straight legs, with back leg bent, and bending both legs. I keep thinking I’m getting close, but no accomplishment yet. I have tried the cocoon and ankle hang separately, thinking I might some day get past the foot lock. Any last minute suggestions? I uploaded video.

Jenny
        Participant

Hi! I was having this issue as well. I found after multiple tries that if I couldn’t get the silk wrapped around my leg on the first try coming out of the arabesque for the set up of the foot lock, is was almost impossible. I think it is possibly about using the spin to get the leg wrapped for starters. Whenever I had to keep re-trying to wrap the leg after the first try I could not get he foot lock on. Hope this helps.

Caitlin
        Participant

I was having so many issues with this too! There’s some good tips on the thread now. What personally worked for me was making sure I was in a straddle, with my hips open, not a front split while I put on the footlock. Having my hips more open that way seemed to make it easier. You might’ve tried this already, but just in case, maybe that’ll help!

Janice
        Participant

Hi. What worked for me for the challening footlock are these 3 steps, in order:
        1) Pull the tail first for slack, and don’t let go of that. Keep your right hand there.
        2) Then rotate the foot 360 degrees to be able to scoop/loop the tail on foot.
        3) Then bend down closer to the right foot to create the lock with that right hand.

I hope these help. My tail is long and thus heavy, that’s why I had to pull first for slack.

Cheers!!

cwmacy
      Participant

Thank you Jenny. You give me hope. I will attempt again.

Robin
      Participant

Hi all! I don’t know if this will help anyone, but for me when I managed the footlock etc, it seemed to be a combination of a) wrapping my right arm
      Well, b) pulling up with my left arm as I unwrapped right arm for footlock, and c) keep pulling up with left arm until footlock is done to avoid loosing height. And the next bit for me was iffy but if I kept the left leg against pole and really pushed my arms out, the line was often ok even if I slid. I still have work to do!
      Hope that helps someone!

Yvan
      Participant

Hi!
      Late bird here this month. I might have an extra take at it today or tomorrow (hopefully with my chosen music) and I would love some feedback (if any) to focus my attention in my last attempt(s).
      Thanks! 🙆🏻‍♂️❤️

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/2204/

Almost forgot to mention… my knee requested a modification for the single leg ankle hang. Hope that’s ok with you 😃

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Yvan.
        Yvan
        Participant

No need for feedback anymore. Today I hurt a finger during my training 🙁 ouch ouch… it will keep me away for a couple of days from the silks 🙁

In my best attempts so far, I’m still struggling to get the footlock on smoothly (the silks are sticking to my very sweaty feet… I may try this with socks now that I’m comfortable with it to see if that helps) and I think I need to work on getting the lock on higher so I don’t end up too close to the ground for my spin. I should have plenty of height for the full version.. Those have been the two hardest things for me to clean up, as you can see from this video
      Any tips so I can hopefully have a better version by tomorrow?

susi
      Participant

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=5299589763418547&id=100001027263012 Hi Silks Stars! I’m not completly recovered but I’m happy I’m sending today practice… and yes Rachel today that knee it’s not straight, the silks get stuck … I didn’t want to disappoint you 🙈 But I like the feeling of this video, it’s me, on my mind the picture was me floating, imagining a world of peace! Thank you for the opportunity to express my self from a very deep place! 🙏

Carmen
      Participant

Sadly, my good luck in posting videos to the website has ended this month. Despite several attempts, I kept getting the dreaded “file is converting” message without resolution. Maybe you can see the video fine on your end but, in case not, I uploaded it to YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW3XArxoLaM Hopefully this works. If not, please let me know if there is something else that I can do. Thanks, Carmen

Elleb
      Participant

I am having the same issue as Carmen. I uploaded my video at about 10:30pst last night and it is still saying it’s converting this morning. I was afraid to try again, fearing I would be past the deadline and it wouldn’t be a valid submission. Can you let me know if you can see it on your end or if I should try to upload again? Thanks!

Silks Stars Team

Hi Guys-
      Yes we can see both our videos on our end. Thank you so much and reviews will be in soon!

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.