July 2022

Forums Monthly Challenges July 2022

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      Silks Stars Team

Option 1: Double Fancy Feet to Falling Angel Foot Hang
      Option 2: Double Fancy Feet to Back Float Knee Hang Neck Hang
      Share your comments, questions, and work from this month’s combination below!

Beatrice
      Participant

Such a cool sequence!!

Karenvferreirac
      Participant

I already have a question 😅 I have managed to do the fancy feet part (not easy) but I’m finding that on inverting the crossing ends up on my right side and that makes the knee and feet drops really hard, any suggestions on how not to end up with the misplaced crossing. Thank you ❤️

This is happening to me too, occasionally (like right now, as I’m practicing 🤣). I find that if I’m really intentional with the first wrap, making sure it’s centred, and if I make sure when I cross the fabric over my feet that they (my feet) are directly in front of me for the second wrap, that I’m more centred in my invert. If that makes any sense 🤷‍♀️

Hot tip that worked for my fancy feet-> practice the pathway while sitting in a knot! Saved my grip while figuring it out 🙂

Anyone have tips to get the double
      Wrap into the the right positionwhen inverting? Mine’s getting caught on my bootie, and I don’t have much of a bootie 😉

HaleneW
        Participant

I’m having a hard time getting the double wrap past my bootie to my waist after inverting (and like you, I don’t have much of a bootie, either :P). I had to manually pull it down to my waist. I’m wondering if material is having anything to do with it (I was wearing something made out of cotton and not something more slippery)? Maybe we should try switching up the leggings?

Cathy
        Participant

Same here…I’m having to slide down a little to get it in the right place but then I lose height.

Ogie
      Participant

“TECHNIQUE TIP #2 ENSURE TAILS SLIDE TO YOUR UPPER THIGHS EVENLY”.

Great tip. But how do you ensure this? Tails end up on my ankles after my “fancy feet dance”, and wont slide at all. Has this anything to do with timing and straddle technique? My straddle is not so spacious as Rachel her amazing straddle (less flexible). Any tips?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Ogie.
      • This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Ogie.
        Ogie
        Participant

Some more questions:
        – Loops keep getting really tight round my knees and ankles in be belay hang. you recommend to loose grip on the tails but that seems not to be enough. tips?

– Any tips for beating through the poles (into the iron cross)? Any exercises that will help generate enough energy?

– I have difficulties to get both (knee/ankle) loops the same size. you mention “Drop feet evenly”. Can you demo that (how do you do that?).

Sorry, most of my questions are already in the tech tips, but I have problems to execute the tips right. Any help or demo is appreciated.

Ogie
        Participant

A big thank you for Rachel. Your tip to first spread the legs, then lower the body, invert, bent the legs and keep loops evenly tight really made the difference and helped me progress. Thank you so much!!!

Silks Stars Team

You are so welcome!!!

HaleneW
        Participant

I’m having the same problem….switching my leggings to more ‘slipperier’ ones didn’t really help either. I am noticing that I can get the tails closer to my knees if I make sure that my feet are all the way through after doing the double cross (almost like kneeling before the straddle), but my 90 degree straddle does not seem to be wide enough to get the double-x past the booty. Legs straight up don’t seem to be helping much with bringing the x down either.

Silks Stars Team

Hi Guys!
      Rachel will go over all these fantastic questions at next weeks Q & A!

Janice
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/janice/media/2613/

Hi. This sequence is so fun!!!! Attached is my training video. I would really appreciate some coaching. Here are some questions:

1. In the falling angel, Rachel’s legs straightened and went to straddle position at the time when her torso was parallel to the floor. In my case, the straight legs/straddle happened later … which is when my torso was parallel to the Silks already. Is this acceptable?

2. If I want to attempt to do Rachel’s style described above, please give tips (and/or warm up recommendations).

3. In the last drop, I prepare by placing my 2 hands closest to the feet as much as possible, and the hands are at the same height. But after tugging the tails, the right hand is always lower than the left. It always happens this way for me. What went wrong in my preparation?

Thank you in advance for your attention. Enjoy the happy summer weeks ahead 🙂

Silks Stars Team

Hi Janice!
        Rachel will go over all these fantastic questions at next weeks Q & A!

Janice
        Participant

Hi. I just watched the Q&A replay. Super THANKS for answering all my questions. Really appreciate the coaching!!! Super.

Karenvferreirac
      Participant

Hey, I have another question. I am practicing for the mini rig and I’ve found that in the back balance part after wrapping my legs I’m just leaning too much towards the upper body side which means I end up pretty much on the knee hang, any tips on how to make this more even? Thank you!

HaleneW
        Participant

So happy I’m not the only one this is happening to (but frustrated for us both :P). I am noticing that the wraps seem to be below my center of gravity, and that I am either too top heavy even with tiny boobies, or I do not have enough of a back bend to make this work. I am laying back really slow to try and find a balance, but it is either a slight recline position for me or basically straight into the knee hang as you described. That seem about the same for you? Even holding the silks and pulling my feet down I can’t seem to get that balance.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by HaleneW.
      MollyC
      Participant

Hi! I’m having lots of fun working on this month’s challenge and I have a couple questions. The fancy feet portion is actually going pretty well for me (yay), but where I’m have issues is when dropping into the double loops after the iron cross – how do you ensure the loops are even on your thighs? One seems to be bigger than the other most of the time and it makes it really hard to complete the sequence. And then related to that, how do you make/keep the loops big enough to slide them to your feet? Mine probably start too small and then by the time I reach the feet transition they get stuck on my ankles, lol.

Here’s my current progress, would love feedback!
      https://www.silksstars.com/community/mollyc/media/2618/

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by MollyC.
      • This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by MollyC.
      Carmen
      Participant

Hey there! I’d appreciate some help with the release from the foot hang. I posted a video in my profile of what has happened on each of several attempts: https://www.silksstars.com/community/carmen/media/2615/
      I seem to drop further than Rachel does in the demo video – so am I wrapping something incorrectly?
      Do I get too much slack in the transition from knees to feet or somewhere else?
      Do I simply lack enough height in my studio to complete the move?
      Also, ditto to the requests above about more info on how to progress to the beat into straddle for the fallen angel drop. That is a new move for me and I feel like I don’t really understand the mechanics of it.
      Many thanks, Carmen

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/jill-b-lovin-aerial/media/2619/

ON THE STRUGGLE BUS! 🤣🤣🤣 This swing through using momentum feels impossible. Am I just too weak in my core or is there more to this that I’m missing? Be kind. I know this video is embarrassing!🙈 But I want to improve! Thanks!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/jill-b-lovin-aerial/media/2620/

Here is a SLIGHTLY better try. Still hoping for magical tips! 😜

Silks Stars Team

Hi Jill! For your beat to sit up, really think to tighten your hips and squeeze bum forward as much as possible. Use your arms next to your ears and swing back in a super big back swing. You can drill this using catchers position in a hammock, or your silk tied with a knot. It will be a little easier to practice and get the hang of it in a looser tie. Then you can take it back to this wrap. Let us know how it goes!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
        Participant

Thank you so very much for getting back to me with these tips! I remember in the challenge you said we could practice it in the hammock knot, but I guess I didn’t realize that not would be looser and easier so I’m for sure going to give that a try today! Thanks again! Having tons of fun trying to be you!

Silks Stars Team

Yay!

MarisaBlachy
      Participant

Hi! HERE is my best attempt so far at the mini-rig combo. The part that is difficult for me is the back float. I have tried it MULTIPLE times, but I think I just don’t have the back flexibility to get that arch that would make the float possible. Any feedback you have for me would be greatly appreciated!

Silks Stars Team

Hi Marisa!
        Rachel says-
        You don’t have to hold the tails if that isn’t working. Try to balance/float by slowly lowering backwards and then going to the knee hang after that. Keep up the great work!

LauraDP
      Participant

Hi! Today I finally had a chance to train this month’s challenge. Fancy feet are not that bad but I loose much height when I straddle. I also want to fix the split, why is my right leg higher than the left one?
      Ah I also had a hard time in the floating part since I couldn’t reach the silks 🤣 a funny moment to whatch!!
      First training

Silks Stars Team

Hi Laura!
        Great fancy feet, try hooking knees even sooner to lose less height. Your split is terrific! Personally I don’t mind the angle. However if you want to be more even, squeeze everything even more during the roll thru part. Keep up the great work!

Manon
      Participant

Is there a way to make the neck hang more comfortable? I always neck pain after doing it ?

Manon
      Participant

I mean : I always have neck pain after doing it.

Silks Stars Team

Hi Manon!
        I would say to work towards engaging your back/shoulders and basically your entire back body as much as possible- in order to distribute the weight more evenly. Also drill it with hands on and slowly work up to holding less with the hands until just fingertips. Let us know how it goes!

Robin
      Participant

Hi all! Here is my attempt so far. I read this thread after filming. Silly me! Still, additional tips are welcome!!
      https://www.silksstars.com/community/robin/media/2636/

Silks Stars Team

Really nice work so far, Robin. Add your own refinement and artistry and you should be all set!

Elleb
      Participant

I am struggling so much with the back balance/float. I am engaging my thighs and glutes as much as I can and pushing my heels toward the ground, but if I even try to let go with my hands, I slide straight into my knees. Is this a flexibility issue (my back flexibility is pretty abysmal) or is it possible I am just too too heavy? Any advice appreciated. The video is just the attempted back balance. https://www.silksstars.com/community/elleb/media/2637/

Elleb
      Participant

I am struggling so much with the back balance/float. I am engaging my thighs and glutes as much as I can and pushing my heels toward the ground, but if I even try to let go with my hands, I slide straight into my knees. Is this a flexibility issue (my back flexibility is pretty abysmal) or is it possible I am just too too top heavy? Any advice appreciated. The video is just the attempted back balance. https://www.silksstars.com/community/elleb/media/2637/

Silks Stars Team

Hello!
        Yes, it could be a back flexibility thing. Just move through it as smoothly as possible into the knee hang. You are doing great!

Karenvferreirac
        Participant

I feel your pain friend, I’m there too 😅

susi
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/susi/media/2653/ Hi lovely aerialists! Here in Macau we’re still in lockdown, studios, gym, health clubs still closed 🥺 so I tried this routine at home and I was really struggling and always ended on my knees 🤣🤣 My amazing aerial team allowed me to sneak into the studio twice just to try SilksStars 😃😃😃 I need to confess I was freaking out with this balance and again practice alone feels creepy… but I’m happy I did it, I know it’s not clean but I’m not sure if I can go back to studio before the end of the month, so, at the moment, this is it! Meanwhile after 19 years I’m leaving Macau for good, so if you find any emotional mess in this video it will, actually, make me very happy ah ah … it’s all about awareness and connections, right? Wish you all the best! 🙌😘

Beatrice
      Participant

Hello! Here is my final attempt – I didn’t get much time to practice this month so still want to clean up the fancy feet and beat to straddle but I had so much fun learning this sequence!

Fancy feet+wind = a wild foot chase 🤣
      Here is my submission-> hopefully it’s ok that I am 18 hours late 😬😎
      https://www.silksstars.com/community/the-heather-feather/media/2715/

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.