January 2022

Forums Monthly Challenges January 2022

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author
      Silks Stars Team

Option 1: Hallelujah Drop to Bow & Arrow
      Option 2: Fish Pose into Bow & Arrow (mini-rig)
      Share your comments, questions, and work from this month’s combination below!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, you’re killing me!!! 🤣🤣🤣 I can see this thread, but not the challenge yet! And I’m trying to finish December, but curiosity killed the cat! 🤣🤣 Seriously, I just love you guys! You make this so exciting! And challenging! 😍😜

Jenny
        Participant

Ditto Jill! I keep checking to see if January is up cause it’s like Christmas for me every time the monthly combo is dropped!!! 🎁🌟

Caitlin
        Participant

Agreed, Christmas continues! The suspense is killing me!!

susi
      Participant

oooooh I’m still trying to finhish December! The studio will only be available tomorrow afternoon, so it’s my last chance…stressssss. I really wanted to try two angel roll ups (when I watched my video it seems there’s high enough) so I was thinking the second roll might be easier because after the first one I’ve got more support right? I’ll be working without spotting… Is there any particular point I should be aware of? Thank you and Happy New year!

Silks Stars Team

January challenge is Up! Enjoy!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

It’s amazing!!!! YAY! Thanks!

Elly
      Participant

Any tips for how to get the over head cross behind back for the second invert part? I am super happy with the second part of the drop and been doing it for a year already anyways but I have very limited shoulder flexibility so have never mastered that reach up and cross behind.

Silks Stars Team

Hi Elly!
      Yes that part is tricky as the wrap is already high on your back. Try to cross first behind your head, then reach up as high as possible on the poles. Pull up as much as you can while also “scrunching” your shoulders in/ and shrugging them up and back. There’s a lot of activation going on in that one. If you can try it close to the ground with a spotter. Let us know how it goes. Happy New year!

Janice
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/janice/media/1939/

Hi. I’d appreciate feedback to my video. I did not do the full drop yet. Still gathering the guts for it 🙂 Will do so in the next training. Corrections and tips for improvement will be appreciated so I can apply those in my next training together with the full drop 🙂 Thanks!!

Silks Stars Team

Great work so far, Janice!

1- Try to make the shoulder through transition into elbow hook as smooth as possible. Meaning- drill that moment until it is one complete, smooth motion.
        2- Place the cross lower on your hips to achieve more of a front balance pose before the drop.
        3- When landing the drop, be sure to point your feet and squeeze ankles together as much as possible.
        4- If you want to spin before the bow and arrow, pick up the tail with both hands and lift it off the floor entirely for a better spin.

Janice
        Participant

Love it!!! Many thanks for your personalized coaching 🙂

Silks Stars Team

You’re so welcome!!!

Manon
      Participant

I have a comment regarding the mini ring challenges. It would be nice if they could take as long and be as complex as the regular challenges. Thanks for considering.

Tanya.Campos
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/tanya-campos/media/1942/

Hi Brett and Rachel, figuring out the front balance drop… after the drop, my knee position didn’t feel secure. I got scared but did it again anyway, and it still didn’t feel secure hehe. Any tips and feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!😊

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Tanya.Campos.
        Silks Stars Team

Hi Tanya! Looking great, and nice front balance. Drop looks good, however for more stability- when you land try not to have any crease in your hips. Try to have a super flat hip to knee line with your hips pressing forward and tight squeeze in the bum and hamstrings. You can also bend the knees earlier, for ex don’t fall forward into it with straight legs- bend from the get go. Let us know how that goes!

Tanya.Campos
        Participant

Thank you Brett and Rachel, will do that! 🙂 When going into the drop from front balance, will it also help to pike the chest first? Thanks so much! 🙂

Silks Stars Team

You can pike slightly. Thinking initiating with bent back knees will work also.

Tanya.Campos
        Participant

Thank you Brett and Rachel! 🙂

Manon
      Participant

I just did the legs and bands workout ! OMG ! That’s a good one !

Helene
      Participant

Hello,

So far I only had access to a low ceiling so I gave a shot at the mini rig version.
      Do you have any advices for improvement?

In two days I ll be able to train under a height ceiling again, and will try the full version, I am so impatient (and vaguely anxious😁).
      Thank you for your help!

Silks Stars Team

Nice work so far Helene!
        1- When going into the elbow hook pose, try removing the free leg with it bent instead of straight. That may smooth it out more.
        2- For the tight spin moment- pull up high, and squeeze your ribs in and down, to get that straight body line.
        3- Continue to work towards refining your stretch- pointed feet and a super straight knee in the arrow.

Helene
        Participant

Thank you for those useful tips!
        Meanwhile I have been able to work on the hallelujah drop🎉🎉.
        Here is the video

As you will see I struggle to pull up smoothly from the neck hand into the cross. I tend to “cheat” my way in by sneaking one shoulder after another. I thus also end up with a cross that is too hight on my back to invert smoothly/easily. To invert, I rely on momentum. I haven’t been able to improve my pull up so far and make it deeper.
        Any advice on that and overall piece, would be greatly appreciated 😊

Josyne
      Participant

Hi there! My silk is just 16 feet high (probably exactly 15 feet of usable height?) If I start high (one big climb + one invert), it ends up too tight for me to do the part where I pull-up into the upright cross-back part. But as it is, I always end up with my head touching the mat (I drop slow). Is there a way I can do the high rig challenge, or do I just stick to the low-rig one for safety?

Silks Stars Team

Hi There!
        You can do the first progression of the drop from Front balance if you don’t have enough height for the full drop.

Manon
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/manon/media/1946/
      Hi Rachel and Brett. Here’s my sequence so far. I’m having a real hard time doing my pullover to get to the front balance. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Any other comments would be welcomed as well.

Silks Stars Team

Beautiful work, Manon! You can try and straighten your legs- drive them to the floor before beginning the inversion to pull over. Also- can incorporate a small tempo into it as well. Fantastic front balance!!!

Janice
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/janice/media/1949/

Hi. I’d appreciate more coaching again based from today’s training. Here are my questions:

1) In parting the Silks (right before the fish pose) ….. I take so much time doing it so it disrupts the flow. Do you have techniques to share on how to do the parting quicker 🙂
      2) Is my entry into fish pose already considered “flowy” enough?
      3) Tips and comments on the drop preparation would be appreciated.
      4) I usually have no problem inverting but why did I struggle to invert in the one right before Hallelujah? What didn’t I do?
      5) I ended up halting right before the last drop. So the momentum was not continuous. What did I do wrong?
      6) Any more comments would be appreciated.

Thank you for this fun drop. Did you enjoy hearing my screams: “wooooo” “woooo”. Haha.

Silks Stars Team

Nice progress, Janice!

Parting the silks can be trickier sometimes and easy other times. You can try to grab a smaller amount of fabric, or just the edge, pull from there and then continue to find the split. Your entry into fish pose is very flowy great work on that! For the invert before hallelujah, the wrap was probably higher on your back than usual- likely that why the invert struggle. Looks like your legs straightened a bit before the last “tuck through” on the drop. When diving through- keep knees bent to keep forward motion going.

Janice
        Participant

Super thanks for all the feedback. Am so excited to get on the Silks again to apply all these. Btw, thanks for the Q&A too which I watched via replay.

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/jill-b-lovin-aerial/media/1954/

This was supposed to just be a practice. Hoping to feel good enough to work on this some more and would love some feedback on areas to focus on to improve. Thank you!!!

Silks Stars Team

Hi Jill!
        Very nice progress. In the very beginning- be sure to begin climbing directly under your point so you don’t swing. Your flow to fish pose is wonderful! Continue to work towards a nice clean pullover- you can incorporate a small tempo to help get through the poles without using your feet. Awesome front balance! Remember to think about the line of your feet when you land the knee drop- pointed and ankles glued together! Looking forward to your final submission!

Eiz
      Participant

Just wanted to share that i was practicing the challenge for the first time and then getting stuck in the air after the final drop here. After a bit of panic, i just remembered to follow the tail. In retrospect it was an ok place to be getting stuck at as i can sit in the thigh hitch and figure the thing out. (I wonder if i did do the right thing here though, i mean, is there a chance that i could’ve accidentally unraveled my thigh hitch, no?).
      Would also welcome any comments or experiences where youve you all gotten stuck in the air at some point and how did you guys solve it?

Silks Stars Team

Hi Eiz and Jenny! Brett says-

Eiz didn’t bring her legs together soon enough on the drop. After the first fall back, she needed to bring her legs together before she dives between the poles. Otherwise the tail will go between the legs which is not correct, and causes them to get stuck on the landing. She got extra stuck because her foot also pushed some of the tail between the poles on the landing.
        The tail has to stay on the right side of the body for the duration of the drop and not go between the legs. If she keep her legs together she would have been fine.
        I explain that in technique tip #4 in the main challenge tutorial.

Jenny
      Participant

Eiz I also got stuck at my last training….when diving through the silks my foot grabbed the tail and it came through the silks with me and I felt very tangled when I got to the end of the drop. I think the issue for me was not keeping my knees and feet glued together on the dive through part ( to avoid catching the tail with your feet)
      all the way to the end of the drop….

Eiz
      Participant

@silksstarsteam thank you for your feedback brett and @jenny yes, thank you for sharing your experience, i did realize also after watching the video. I was a little too excited to make the dive here since my previous attempt to walk down the dive from the upright position (as opposed to diving from the front balance) didn’t pan out (like i couldn’t get my knees up to dive). Will mind my legs more when I practice the full drop again. 😊 It’s just getting stuck is mentally exhausting haha

Yvan
      Participant

Ow thanks! Timely answer as I was hesitating about whether to delete my post (which I think I did, oops) in view of some last minute changes in my availability to train. Thanks a lot for all your feedback! 😃❤️ My feet have a life on their own and they tend to sickle or disengage easily when left unattended but in my favour I must say I am doing a lot of extra work to increase my awareness about my feet at all times. 37 years of unaware sickling wont vanish in a few months so it will still take some more time before they stay fully engaged and extended throughout a full performance 😅🙆🏻‍♂️

Eiz
      Participant

Hi! Would love to hear your feedback on my best attempt today Here ☺️

Silks Stars Team

Looks great. Think about extending your back leg a little higher in the fish pose, and overall pay attention to straight knees and pointed feet. Drop looks very good- however there was a tiny stall before the last tuck through. When moving through the poles keep the momentum going and keep your legs in a nice tight tuck, hamstrings engaged a lot.

Manon
      Participant

I deleted my previous sequence and I tried two times to download my best one, but when it should be done, nothing. My video is not there at all ! ??

Jenny
        Participant

Hi Manon. Same here. A few of us have had this issue in the last 24 hours.

Caro
      Participant

Hi team. January has been a month for family so I thought I might not get to the challenge this month. Today I finally gave it a go. It’s so fun! I’d love some last minute feedback. Only weird thing I noticed is the tail always ended up on the left at the beginning so I simply scooped it to the right before the cross-back. https://www.silksstars.com/community/caro/media/1978/

Silks Stars Team

Fantastic first day, Caro! Looks great, maybe play with adding the spin?

Elly
      Participant

Unfortunately covid, work and rehearsals meant I couldn’t do much on this but I’ve uploaded a video of the part I could do (missed out the pose as I was running out of energy so could only manage the first part of the drop). Looking forward to next month when maybe I can achieve more

Silks Stars Team

We understand, and happy you were able to do part of it!!!

susi
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/susi/media/2000/ Hi there! Finally I tried to put a few things together today, it’s been a crazy month… I ‘m working on mini rig version and I the truth is that I intentionally avoid the knee drop as I have a torn meniscus, third degree (left knee). So, I decided to wrok on spin to improve quality on my moves… I’m still hoping I can go back to studio tomorrow but I’m not sure, so, even if this video isn’t flowing as when I do it on my mind 🤣🤣🤣 I’m happy for the chance to work on my spin. Ouf long statement here 🤣🤣🤣 I just want to wish you all a Happy Chinese New Year, may the Tiger bring us courage! 💪💪💪

susi
      Participant

`https://www.silksstars.com/community/susi/media/2015/ Updated version! Not one of my days today, but that’s what it is… let’s move forward! 😊🙏

aerialranger
      Participant

Here is January submission! Mini-rig sequence. Uploaded to profile, though still don’t know if upload was successful. Link to Instagram post here.

Manon
      Participant

Doing this drop, I got the top of my hips very sore. What do I do wrong ? What should I do to avoid it in the future ?

https://www.silksstars.com/community/manon/media/1986/

Beautifoolly
      Participant

Question on the pull up part from neck hang – is there a silks conditioning wrap/skill to mimic that neck-hang-pull-up part from the ground? Something easier to kind of conditioning and familiarize ourselves with that motion? I can do a pull up fine, but the neck-hang-pull-up feels really tight, and hoping to have a different silks skill to mimic and practice that closer to the ground. Thanks

Silks Stars Team

Lovely work, Yvan. Regarding knee line during the drop- it’s ok, however, it looks like the knee closer to the tail might accidentally “grab” the tail as you rotate- so beware of that. Also the diamond shape sort of interrupts the “waterfall” ness of the flow of the drop. That’s fine too, just decide what look you are going for? Like a stop-starty drop or a fluid flowy drop? One last thing- watch the foot line when you climb up out of bow and arrow towards the end. Keep it long and extended. Great job so far!

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.