January 2021

Forums Monthly Challenges January 2021

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • Author
      Silks Stars Team

Option 1: Coffin Drop to Tension Split
      Option 2: Split Silk Salto to Tension Split
      Share your comments, questions, and work from this month’s combination below!

Jenny
      Participant

OMGOMGOMG! I love it and it looks scary as hell but can’t wait to try it! Walk down version 100 times for me LOL! Happy New Year y’all. Thank God for this community is all I can say 🙂 xoxox

Silks Stars Team

Thank you Jenny, we are so grateful for you! Happy New Year!

AerialAshanti
      Participant

Yes yes yes!! So excited to try this one! Looks thrilling and terrifying! Can’t wait to play with it!

susi
      Participant

Always excited about drops 😃😃😃😃😃 although I don’t have that high… But I’ll manage it somehow 😃😍💪 Happy new year, a big hug for this community!

AmyFlory
      Participant

I love this drop and the twist on the tension split! January 1st, I was fortunate to be in the studio and working on wonky saltos including this drop to salto and I realized that I actually lose quite a bit of height; although I’m holding the tail, I’m still sliding down quite a bit. Any tips for helping keep tension on the tail? This Video is from the first drop I did that day and you can see my hand gets a lot closer to my hip during the drop. I tried not to do this in the next attempt but my shoulder just got sore. Also, a little spin would go a long way here—you are right Brett!

Silks Stars Team

Great start Amy! A lot of stability comes
        from the arm placement that’s holding the tail before and during the drop: If you hold the tail tight with tension so that your elbow is ‘in’ (against your body and your hand is holding the tail against your chest, that helps to lock in that arm which will help prevent any unnecessary sliding and your shoulder from taking as much impact on the landing. Keep up the good work 🙂

Auriol
      Participant

For the Mini-rig version, Brett you say it’s a same-side hook, but it looks like an opposite-side hook (Am I just imagining things? Can you clarify?) Thanks!!

Silks Stars Team

Yes, opposite knee hook. Thanks so much for catching that Auriol!

Auriol
        Participant

Thank you! Just wanted to make sure I was doing the wrap correctly!!

Ali_beau
      Participant

Coffin drop to tension split

Happy New Year!

I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy. This drop was so fun to do and very different then what I am used to. Thank you so much Brett!!

Jenny
      Participant

I was working on the mini rig version last night….feeling very awkward in the moment just before the drop to split silks. Should I try to do it faster instead of hanging out in the hipkey moment? also I think I wrapped too high on my waist….is that why I can’t get more upright in that hipkey moment? maybe it is lack of ABS!

Silks Stars Team

Great start Jenny! It looks like you folded all the way into the hip key before the drop… it will be easier if you “key over” in more of a vertical/diagonal position with your body, so your chest is high, and your legs are less ‘piked’. That makes it a lot easier to turn into the drop from there versus coming from a full hip key position.

Jenny
        Participant

awesome. thank you. I will try that next time I’m in the studio!

Kary
      Participant
      Caro
      Participant

Hi and Happy 2021! I tried the drop today and found that I don’t salto?! I’ve uploaded my try to see if you can see what is going on. Many thanks. Caro.First attempt January Challenge

Caro
      Participant

I also find that because the silk is stretchy the coffin pose is not horizontal if I keep my leg where it sits when I first place it with a straight leg. If I shimmy it down (to take in the stretch) then I end up horizontal. Do you know what’s happening? Thanks again.

Silks Stars Team

Hi Caro! It looks like your upper body is dropping down a bit faster then your lower body while you’re doing the Coffin Drop. Try to resist the upper body dropping down too early, think about reaching and keeping the whole body in a horizontal line as you release into the drop… as right now it looks like your upper body is anticipating the rotation a bit and leaning a bit too much down. As for the coffin, sometimes I place my foot a bit higher and am slightly in a diagonal shape with my feet slightly higher than my chest, but it shouldn’t make a big difference as far as the drop goes. I think if you focus on keeping the chest up a bit as you release into the drop, it will help a lot in order to adjust your body angle to be horizontal while dropping. It’s generally a very quick adjustment. Hope that helps! -Brett

Caro
        Participant

Thank you! Yes that is exactly what I was doing, I was trying to roll out head first somewhat like a secretary drop. I tried the horizontal roll out and although I haven’t videoed it to double check, it seems to have fixed the problem. I am dropping and swinging around to upright now. It’s quite a jolty drop though not a smooth one.

Silks Stars Team

Oh good! Looking forward to seeing it again! It can be a jolty drop as it does have a bit of a free fall aspect to it, but with more practice you can make tiny adjustments so the transition into the rotation gets smoother. The more reach/extension through the body you have the smoother that transition will be.

Elleb
      Participant

The weather cooperated just in time for me to get my first tries in in time for the mini rig challenge. Forecast is not looking good for the rest of January, but in case I do get some time, any tips for getting more upright before the drop? I feel like I’m unrolling more than salto-ing. Thanks for another super fun challenge!
      https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ9sJssFwRj/?igshid=11yppg6hl932x

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Elleb.
        Silks Stars Team

Its looking good Elle! Only thing is you’re a bit too folded over in the hip key,
        Which makes it a lot harder to get into an upright position for the salto. Think about folding as little as possible into the hip key, so it’s more of a lean rather than a full hip key. It’s all about the upper body being higher towards the sky than the hips in that position, and the legs being less piked. It may feel strange at first but it will be much easier to turn into the salto from there.

Jenny
      Participant

Hi guys. I tried the combo 2 times last night but I found it really hard on my left groin (the wrap is snake biting me! lol. Is this just one of those thing where you have to build up the pain tolerance? I was too much of a wuss to try it a third time. But I must say it feels exhilarating!!!! 🙂
      https://www.silksstars.com/wp-content/uploads/rtMedia/users/154/2021/01/1610542798-january-drop.mp4?1610543281

Silks Stars Team

Looking good Jenny! Yes, this drop can be a bit uncomfortable the first couple days of trying it if you havn’t been doing this type of salto wrap before, or in a long while. but if you take a couple days off and then come back to it again you most likely will have built up more tolerance to it. Over time and with regular practice, it shouldn’t be painful anymore 🙂

AmyFlory
        Participant

Hi Jenny! The first time I tried the drop it was pretty jarring. The next time, I thought about reaching to the floor with my chest rather than my legs; that seemed to help my body actually be more level and it didn’t hurt a bit!

Jenny
        Participant

Thank you Amy! I am going to try thinking about that next time I go for it! 🙂

LauraDP
      Participant

After a long break I had the chance to go back and train, now everything hurts 😂
      Really hope one day soon I’ll have the chance to attempt the original combo on higher ceilings.
      So here’s my first mini rig try! Next time I need to fix the arms in the drop and clean the split entry.Any other tips?
      First try

Silks Stars Team

This looks good Laura! Beautiful split. Yes, the arms on the drop are a bit tricky, try to think about folding less in the hip key so you’re a bit more upright before the drop and bring those tails a bit higher towards the sky before you enter the Salto. We will go over this more at Monday’s QnA 🙂

LauraDP
        Participant

here’s my second try! still need to fix that drop and arms ahah but it’s getting better!
        secon try

Silks Stars Team

Yes, looking good!

I was definitely feeling a little rusty for this session, but not too rusty! I decided to start with the mini rig version, and I think this was my best go, but I think I could do with some more power in my salto. I’ve started the full version, but only got through walking it down a couple of times before my inner thigh hated me. I plan to share my progress on the full version as well, but was hoping to get any feedback for this video first. Thank you guys as always for everything!

January Mini Rig Version

Silks Stars Team

This is looking really nice Kittie! Yes, only thing would be to add a bit more ‘front salto’ to the beginning of the drop. Think about turning all the way into a “single salto position,” by keeping the body very vertical (toes pointing directly towards the ground and chest as close to the pole as possible) while you transition the tails around into the salto. We’ll definitely be going over that part further during Monday’s Q and A. Great job so far!

Niksa
      Participant

Hi! I just tried it – https://www.silksstars.com/community/niksa/media/483/

Every month as I am watching the sequence I think “this will be easy”, but then when I try it, there’s always something challenging. This time it was the fear to drop 😁

Please let me know if you have any tips.

Silks Stars Team

This is looking really nice Niksa! Yes the drop can be a bit scary. It looks like you are piking a little bit when entering the drop so just focus an keeping the whole body nice and flat and extended while dropping. Great job!

canu_camcam90
      Participant

Hello! First off I love this drop it’s so much fun! I’m noticing that after my rotation I twist. Is it because I’m not keeping a flat body?
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yUZ9I7bYJ3or2yVKVjgejh-A7DECPWnk/view?usp=sharing

Silks Stars Team

This is looking really good Cameron! I think the reason you’re twisting a bit at end is that you still have a moderate spin going. Love the spin variation you’re doing before the coffin drop but maybe slow it down a bit or wait for the spin to die down more before dropping -Brett

canu_camcam90
        Participant

Got it I will try that. Thank you so much!

Yvan
      Participant

Hi!
      This is my best effort this month. The Netherlands extended the lockdown til mid February (at least 😔) so it is proving REALLY difficult to get access to a rigging point.
      Cheers!

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/

Silks Stars Team

Sorry to hear it’s difficult to find a rig to work on right now Yvan, this looks good though! Beautiful Split!

Yvan
        Participant

Thanks a lot! ❤️

ellianajin
      Participant

So happy to finally be able to get the salto after the awesome Live Q&A session!! I was stuck without the salto because I folded into the hip key too much. Right now, I am still a bit messy hand when I am on the top lean into the hip key because my silks are too long and very heavy.

https://www.silksstars.com/community/ellianajin/media/

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by ellianajin.
        Silks Stars Team

Yay good job Elliana! Yes this drop is a lot more challenging with long tails, but you’re doing well!

This is my best attempt at the full out coffin drop, but my thigh was toast and I need to give it a day or two. I’m still not getting enough rotation into the salto coming out of the coffin. Should I try to let my feet fall first somehow? I’ll watch the Q&A one more time before going out again. Thank you guys as always! January entry attempt

Silks Stars Team

Hi Kitty! It looks like you are piking slightly when going into the drop, which will take away some of the rotation of the salto. Definitely take a day or two off if your thigh is sore, and then next time you try it, be sure to keep your body really extended the entire drop, squeezing your butt while in the coffin shape and while dropping helps. Also if you reach the right arm out as you drop (keeping it straight by your ear)… That extra reach will help the salto rotation, which if you get a good rotation the wrap will squeeze less on the thigh. Keep up the good work 🙂

Janice
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/janice/media/524/

Tonight was my first training for “Split Silks Salto To Tension Split”. With only 4 days until deadline, I’d appreciate feedback, so I can be productive in the next Training. See video. Thanks.

Silks Stars Team

This is looking really good already Janice! Keep working on smoothing out your transitions and get a tiny bit more vertical with your arms/body as you enter the salto. Doing great!

Janice
        Participant

Thanks for your speedy feedback. I will keep it in mind – be more vertical. Thanks.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Janice.
      Nenedhel
      Participant

Challenge

First time able to get on silks to train since the end of October so sadly no where near as clean as I would like (I was surprised I could even invert still to be honest) feedback always welcome as I’m going to continue perfecting this drop (other than my lines because I need to work on getting them back)

Silks Stars Team

Wow great job Nenedhel, the sequence is looking solid. Amazing you kept your strength up even with the break from the air. We’re certain your lines and flow will smooth out the more you practice this one. What a great start getting back in the air!

Nenedhel
        Participant

thank you very much. I will definitely keep training it 🙂 any tips or feedback is much appreciated. Sadly my straight arm inverts are back to microbent legs but it will get there.

Silks Stars Team

We recommend focusing on building your strength back up, the ‘hip key tone workout’ for you core/ hip key strength from this month is great and should help with that.
        Also recommend conditioning your inverts with straight legs at the end of each workout. As for the drop, really squeeze your butt, and stay very tight in your core as you drop. When you feel ready, try reaching out your arm nice and straight by your ear throughout the drop (the one that doesn’t hold the tail). Keep up the good work!

Nenedhel
        Participant

Ah great tips thank you I will be sure to work on them. 😊

tguthrie
      Participant

I’ve moved my rig inside for the winter, so I have juuuust enough room to be able to do the tension split part of the sequence (luckily I have short legs, or I’d be kicking the rig). Any tips/suggestions to improve it or jazz it up a bit that doesn’t require more height? Thanks!

Tension Split Practice

Silks Stars Team

Hi Teresa, thanks so much for sharing! Yes we have a few tips for you for the tension split! First thing as you have a very mini rig, try to “shoot” your hips up a bit higher before you hook your knee from the straddle back, and then make sure as you bring the tail across your lower back and grip by the hip that the wrap is extra tight so you don’t slide at all before you wrap the foot for the split. Every inch of height counts! That should give you a little bit more room to extend out in that split. Also see if you can grip the tail a bit closer to the foot so you can straighten both arms and still have tension when you are in the split. We’d love to see it again after you work on those notes 🙂

thelostgeek
        Participant

I’ve been having problems training my tension split, and your practice video really helped!

susi
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/susi/media/542/ Hi! Here it is the link to my profile vidro for January challenge. A lot happened this month but I’m happy that I didn’t gave up on thus challenge! Hope you’re all good, safe, strong and happy! 😍😘😘😘🙏

Silks Stars Team

Wonderful work Susi, thanks for sharing! We hope you are doing good as well 🙂

LauraDP
      Participant

I had the chance to train on Wednesday but I wasn’t happy with my performance. Here studios/gyms are closed since October and to be consistent on silks despite cold and rain it’s not easy, but this morning I trained again (thank goddes no rain this morning) and I could film a decent final video ☺️
      Final mini rig edition

thelostgeek
      Participant

I practiced with split silk salto but decided that today will try coffin drop. Am still walking it down to salto, and still couldnt do tension split, but here is my video submission for January. Feedbacks are welcome!

Silks Stars Team

Good work! Nice walk-down and solid rotation on your salto! We’d recommend working on the “tension split” by itself, from the ground first before adding it to the full combo. You can watch just the Tension Split tutorial on the “Foundations” page.

Rbatignani
      Participant

You are all awesome! I am just getting into the groove and posted my January video. I am watching all the videos and they are fantastic! Thank you everyone for sharing!

Silks Stars Team

Yay, thank you sharing! We’re looking forward to seeing more of your work!

bitsythings
      Participant

Hi! My first time posting a video for a monthly challenge, I had a lot of fun with it. The coffin drop is hella scary, but I got over it with time.

Thanks guys! 🙂

January 2021 Challenge on IG

Silks Stars Team

So great Liz, congratulations on your first submission!

I thought I posted about the updated version yesterday, but I see somehow it didn’t post. I have a chance to try this out one more time tomorrow, but if I’m also very happy with this as my entry if I can’t get a better take. I think I need to shoot my arm out more coming out of the coffin into the salto, but I’m just happy I finally got a few good rotations. Thank you guys again for everything! January submission

HaleneW
      Participant

Anyone else having trouble uploading the video to their profile? I’ve tried about 6 times over the last couple hours, and deleted a previous video just in case, and can’t seem to upload.

Here is the link to my January submission, due to my technological difficulties. It is the mini rig version because I have an 8ft. rig, and I also had to walk down the drop part [don’t worry, I give a warning :)] https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ke7RQqdKChh3k_C1CrEGTcuq6sM9l9dS/view?usp=sharing Sorry for the quality…

Also, for whatever reason, it says I posted this on Feb 1 at 3-something AM…it is currently Jan. 31 10:53pm Michigan time 😛

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by HaleneW.
        Silks Stars Team

Hi Halene, we have had a couple others who have had difficulty uploading their video to their profile this month, we are currently looking into it with our tech team. Thanks for sharing your video here, we will watch and review it as your submission this month. 🙂

HaleneW
        Participant

Ugh, technical difficulties…. I’m glad posting it in this feed still counts 😛 Thanks!

canu_camcam90
      Participant

Hello! I’m having some trouble uploading my video for this month and I’m getting an Error Video. I know others are having trouble as well but I have attached my video here. Thank you so much!
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GMT4CcGSgyUbS-7Efzo5TE2KzuRE4K-H/view?usp=sharing

Silks Stars Team

No worries Cameron, we had some tech issues today. It does look like your submission uploaded!

Ali765
      Participant

Hey I am still unable to upload my January video due to technical issues but it was done in time 🙁

Silks Stars Team

Hi Ali, it looks like your video uploaded, will be reviewing soon!

Auriol
      Participant

I was also unable to upload my January video. I posted an instagram link on the “Uploading Videos” thread yesterday, but here it is again for visibility. Let me know if there is an alternate way I should be sending it. https://www.instagram.com/p/CKA9zj3DxRB/

Silks Stars Team

Hi Auriol, we were having some tech issues today but they should be fixed now. Feel free to upload now if you like, otherwise we will go ahead and review from your Instagram link this time. Thanks for your understanding!

Auriol
        Participant

Thank you!! I appreciate you getting back to me!!
        If I upload now, will I be blocked from uploading a video for the February challenge?
        Thanks!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Auriol.
        Silks Stars Team

Hi Auriol, we already reviewed your video from Instagram but we made it possible for you to upload two videos this month, so if you’d still like to upload your January video there for your gallery you can, you won’t be blocked from uploading your February challenge later 🙂

AmyFlory
      Participant

I’m relieved it wasn’t just my devices with the trouble uploading last night! I guess I shouldn’t wait until the last minute to upload—oops! Here is my video uploaded, but without the music. I don’t know how to link to an IG story with the music 😩.

Silks Stars Team

That upload you just did Amy went through, will be reviewing it shortly! One tip that might work if you want to share/record a video from your Instagram story w/ it’s music is to use the screen record feature on your phone, just be sure to turn the volume up on your phone so you can hear the music while you screen record. Hope that helps for the future!

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.