February 2024

Forums Monthly Challenges February 2024

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • Author
      Silks Stars Team

Cupid Shuffle to Opposite Side Star, Cupid Shuffle to Infinite Roll (Mini rig). Post your questions, comments and work below!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

OH MY GOSHHHHHH!!!!! You know I’ve been checking hourly to see when this would get posted! Yayyyyy! I’m so excited! First question; what exercises can I do leading up to this hip key roll up? I ready to put in the work! Also, THANK YOU!!!

Silks Stars Team

Solid first question, Jill! Will add them to the Q&A!

Danica.Liu
      Participant

Excited for this month’s challenge. First, how do I grow longer legs…….😂 That’s it for now, will check in once I start tackling this combo ❤️

Silks Stars Team

Ha! It would be great if we could mix and match for different skills!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

Can anyone help me! I can’t even get started on this one. 😬 After the front balance when I come up to the straddle and try to get the left leg behind the silk, I fall off of the bottom hand. Need a video or does this make sense? Can anyone give suggestions? This is a hard one and if I can’t even get started until Q&A I’m gonna be in trouble! 😂 I’m not even TO the rollup yet!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

I have an addendum to my last question. Should I be supporting my weight on my bottom hand, or top hand or equally on both?

Silks Stars Team

Hey Jill! You have got this!
        Things that are available to you before the Q&A and the tips and tricks Zoe has developed for this particular sequence:
        The Front Balance video under Foundations>Strengths. Note how far past Rachel’s thigh her bottom hand is. While her bottom hand can do it without the top, you can think about the bottom hand pressing as the top hand pulls/long arm hangs for how to support your body.
        The C-Shaping Workshop from Brandon under the Ground Workouts, good foundation for range of motion and thinking of length.
        And since the front balance requires such a big push and we mostly pull, the Handstand Fundamentals and Shoulder Clinic to work those shoulders in a press and keep them happy.
        Zoe’s fancy entry takes her to a Hip Key with the top leg through the middle, so you don’t need the first part to be successful just yet to work the rest on this flow. We are rooting for you! And will see if Zoe has sneaky little details to make this work.

Dorag
        Participant

Hi! Where can I find the August 2023 q&a video? Every link brings me to the November q&a.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Dorag.
        Silks Stars Team

Here is the link: https://www.crowdcast.io/e/silks-stars-august-qa-2
        Password: Melty
        The Password is case sensitive. Please let us know if this does not work!

Dorag
        Participant

It works, thank you!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You guys are fantastic! This is extremely helpful and I appreciate it so much! I’m on it! And thanks for the vote of confidence! Love you guys!

Cacia.ploeg
      Participant

For the Q&A, I’d love some tips on overcoming heavy legs in the hip key roll up. I find that as I complete the hip key, my legs just go towards the floor and I’m twisting my upper body to make the roll. It works, but I’d love that buttery horizontal roll! I could use some cues! Thanks 😊

Robin
      Participant

Hello! I’m so glad to be back after a gap. In the mini rig challenge I seem to be misunderstanding the cues to transition from hip lock to the infinity roll shape after the spin sequence. When I tried to toss tail towards my head and swim under, I unlocked myself. Any extra cues that may alleviate my confusion? Thanks!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

The beginning is starting to come together, (still needs lots of work), but I’m seeing progress! 😁 Now that hip key roll up… any advice for that? I’m getting a little movement in the right direction, but not nearly enough. Is it a speed thing? Does the bottom half of the body go 1st and then the top or is it all one motion?

Silks Stars Team

Great question. Zoe has many thoughts about the hip key roll up.
        Brandon covered his thoughts about hip key roll ups a few month back in more detail in the Q&A from that month. Worth checking out!

hlandp
      Participant

I would like to second the request for the hip key roll up tips! I am struggling even with the dynamic roll up.

Robin
      Participant

Hello! I think I figured out the wrap at the end of mini rig sequence but I am not sure if it’s the same as Zoe’s… here’s my version. https://www.silksstars.com/community/robin/media/4333/
      (And I am also keen for hip key roll up tips. I have tried and tried, and it has been trying!)

Silks Stars Team

Nailed the wrap, Robin. Nice digging into the details!
        And yes, hip key roll up tips all over this Q&A. They are trying and hopefully worth trying 😉

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

Does it matter how much tail you have for the rollup? Meaning does the weight of the tail play in to it?

Andreamiau
      Participant

Hi! Hip key roll up for me is very difficult already. I’ve been trying it for a long time and I don’t find the good technique for doing it. I get stuck in hip key, like my body comes in a bend position automatically. More tips?
      Thanks!

Andreamiau
      Participant

Hi! Hip key roll up for me is very difficult already. I’ve been trying it for a long time and I don’t find the good technique for doing it. I get stuck in hip key, like my body comes in a bend position automatically. More tips?
      Thank you very much!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/jill-b-lovin-aerial/media/4334/ I see lots of us are asking for help with the hip key roll up. Just thought I’d add a video to help see where I am struggling and to see if all of us are struggling similarly. Thanks! Having a blast! We’re going to get this! 💪🏻😁 💥

Yvan
      Participant

Hi! I have a question regarding the drop. In the link below I am doing the combo in the rope but the exact same happens in the silks: my male parts get caught by the knot (ouch!). In the video I was walking it down to understand the dynamics of the drop. And indeed, during the drop the knot slides from one thigh to the other through the crotch area and since there is no slack, my male parts get caught every time I tried it (even when wearing two dance belts). I wonder… is there any way to position my body to avoid a painful injury? If not, is it ok if I modify the drop? A quick idea crossing my mind would be to complete the rollup and then roll out of the hip key rollup to end up in a front balance, for instance. Any advice is very welcome! I love the minimalistic preparation of this drop after the hip key roll up but I am afraid I wont be able to do it with my current body.
      Thanks a lot!

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/4335/

Andreamiau
      Participant

Yes Jill, your video shows the same thing that happens to me 😉

Yvan
      Participant

the link of the q&a of February seems to be wrong as it directs to the q&a of January

Dorag
      Participant

I would also like to learn the secret to rolling up.
      I get stuck in the similar position as Jill:

https://www.silksstars.com/community/dorag/media/4336/

Most of the time it’s impossible to externally rotate the driving leg (right leg) in that position.
      Also, how do you make sure the pole placement is between the ribs and the hip every time?

Robin
      Participant

Hello! I am also having trouble with the Q&A link. It still seems to give details for January’s session.

Silks Stars Team
        Robin
        Participant

Thank you! It asks me for a password. I can’t find info on that, sorry! And trying to sign in just asks me for the event password.

Silks Stars Team

Hi Robin, the password is Cupid and case sensitive.

Becky
        Participant

Hi I can’t access the crowdcast site to view the Q&A, it comes up with this error when I click the link.
        Application error: a client-side exception has occurred (see the browser console for more information).

Any advice on how I can view the Q&A please?

Silks Stars Team

Hi Becky!
        Is this the link you tried? https://www.crowdcast.io/c/dow17xk9pg5bbr
        Password: Cupid
        Trying on a computer instead of phone might be a bit easier.
        Let us know!

Eiz
      Participant

Hiyah. I’ve a number of questions that I hope to get to the live q&a (and here’s my practice video, it would be nice if you guys can review Link)

1. Does it matter during the front balance my bottom hand grip is thumbs down instead of thumbs up like what Zoe was doing? I’ve tried thumbs up and my wrist is just not having it

2. I feel like I’m cheating my roll up like @cacia-ploeg because I twist my upper body to reach the pole. 😭

3. I really felt the cinch going into the key-over after the rollup like what Zoe said in the tutorial. What is causing this? Is it my wonky roll-up? Do I need to pull up as I invert after the roll-up?

4. Is there a walk down of the drop? 🙏

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/jill-b-lovin-aerial/media/4339/

Ok, that Q&A today was GREAT! Thank you. Been working since 4, trying to apply all that Zoë said: hollow start position, right hand on top near the hips, elbows in, drop torso, keep pole in squishy place. I’m all about repetition, but I’m not sure if I’m just doing the same things wrong repeatedly. If anyone can see anything I need to change or if anyone can see that I’m on the right track and just need to keep on chugging away, I’d love to hear it! As I said in the Q&A, I still feel like I get 1/2 way and then someone hits the brakes 😂

Silks Stars Team

Hey Jill, glad to hear the Q&A was so helpful. Your pathway looks great. And I would bet those brakes are gravity. Since we are rolling up the fabric, it takes some power! Momentum or strength, your power has to be more. You may feel like you are doing all you can, and that is completely normal. We don’t know what we don’t know until we know it, you know?!? 😉 Let’s say the next goal of the roll up is to feel the pole along the back of your pelvis, what does it take to breakthrough to feel that sensation rather than the pathway you now know? Do you think about where your hips are pointing? Where do you look? If you look out like at this moment of pause, is it moving in the direction of the rotation or in opposition to it? Can changing that move us out of our movement pattern ruts? These are the big aerial silks questions! Happy training!

Jenny
      Participant

Hi guys. The q&a was great and I felt like I understood Zoe’s tips. Just posted a video of a rollup attempt yesterday. Can you give me feedback. I am still getting stuck

Silks Stars Team

Looking great, Jenny! Your horizontal position in the set up is lovely. Keeping the chest horizontal as the legs power through the twist from belly down to belly up is part of the goal. The right leg needs to continue its path going back up once the right toes point to the floor. If the legs stall, the rotation stalls, the chest can lift, and then the pole is traveling on a diagonal and we are caught in the armpits. As with the tips for Jill above, we don’t know what we don’t know until we know it when it comes to the effort for some of these dynamic power moves. Go further. I know that is the least helpful to hear until you feel it. Happy training! You have got this!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

Darn gravity! 😂 Gravity 100, Jill 0, but this isn’t over yet! 😂 Next goal, back of pelvis! I’m excited and on it! Come on ninja power! Let’s GO! So many things to think about! I think I need a million more tries and I am so excited to surprise myself with what I am capable of! Thanks so very very much!!! 😘

Robin
      Participant

Jill, I too am still stopping and not rolling.
      For now I will submit latest attempt at mini rig challenge, partly because bad weather hits tomorrow, partly because I can’t do jerky drops here, and mostly so that I can focus on roll ups. Zoe, thanks for the great tips! No luck yet but I haven’t given up yet. https://www.silksstars.com/community/robin/media/4341/

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

Wow Robin! Your setup is amazing! Great job with your artistry! It was really fun to watch! How many feet do you have to work with? I love your attitude on this one! Yes, we will get this!

Robin
        Participant

THANKS, Jill! Today is bad weather, but ASAP I will attempt the roll up again (again). Yes, go us!

Janice
      Participant

Thanks to Zoe for that comprehensive set of info on how to do a horizontal hip key roll up. I know them all in my mind, but the body just cannot execute 🙁 I’d appreciate for team-SilksStars to give feedback on my recent training video. https://www.silksstars.com/community/janice/media/4343/

I had 16 multiple attempts today but I shared 2 attempts which show best where I struggle:

1) After the hip key to the right, I get tempted to add momentum with my left leg than the right leg. If I do this, I am able to reach the pole with my right. How do I actively use the right leg instead? Any conditioning for that?
      2) When I purposely drive with my right leg, I can feel the natural twisting motion and pinching to the correct part (between my left hip and rib cage), but I cannot complete the twist to get my belly button to face the ceiling 🙁

Would appreciate feedback. Thanks.

Silks Stars Team

Hey Janice! These look great. Luckily, we need both legs to get this hip key to roll. One thing you can do to condition the lift of the right leg are inner thigh lifts lying on your side. Tania did these in her ground workout called Hip Warmer, timestamp approx 7:43. Sometimes having a slightly sore muscle lets you know when you are activating it 😉
        When you start belly up, straddle wide, it may work for you to think about the left leg driving the right leg out of the way. As the left leg crosses down, the right leg with that solid inner thigh lift, kicks up. At the height of the right leg lifting up, twist your torso, chest and eyes to the sky. There can be a slight ‘one’ ‘two’ of the hips spiraling and then the chest to get the fabric across the back without using the shoulder. It’s hard to keep the chest horizontal if the legs stay in the straddle while you are belly down, so the lift of the right leg to initiate the turn can be pretty key. You are on the path, keep going! Happy training!

Janice
        Participant

Thank you for your advices. Super!!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

Actually Silks Stars (Brett, Rachel, I’m not sure who writes the advice) your guidance is AMAZINGLY helpful! I’ve been working! Maybe gaining an inch here or 1/3 of an inch there, but SO FUNto challenge my body! And thank you Jenny for sharing your video. I peeped and then read the Silks Stars advice and it really DOES help! LOVE being in this together! So excited to get home and try 100 more times! Sore left waist and all! 😂 Thank you Silks Stars and Jenny! Let’s DO THIS!

Silks Stars Team

It takes a village! And these rolls are gained in the slightest of inches!

Dorag
      Participant

I have a question regarding the pole placement before the rollup: Does the pole have to dig in between the ribs and hip bone and if so, do you have to relax the exterior oblique? It doesn’t make sense since one of the advice was to keep the core activated the whole time.
      I’m getting a bit desperate, nothing is working for me to achieve the rollup.

Silks Stars Team

Your instinct to not relax the exterior oblique seems to be the most likely answer. And, another part to consider, if a muscle is already engaged to its full power, engaging it more tends to be difficult. Similar to how we bend our knees to jump and land a jump, relaxing and contracting muscles can be a part of a dynamic skill. There is a curve but not a complete softening of the side.
        Hip key roll ups are difficult. Dynamic ones can take years, slow ones may never happen for all bodies, they are so variable with all of our individual torso to leg lengths, what kind of range of motion we have, what our core strength is, how our quick twitch muscles system works, not to mention the timing. Please give yourself space, give yourself time, and give yourself a really strong driving bottom leg.

Robin
      Participant

Hi all! At least I am not suffering alone. (It was too gusty for silks. I tried without a tummy wrap and loose height so I’m attempting to get a clue without loosing height.) I even tried different hands on top.
      There are some good tips above. They make sense but still don’t seem to transfer to my body yet. After I did this I read more of your tips about leg movements.
      Tips on where I am at are welcome.
      Your with much struggling, Robin
      https://www.silksstars.com/community/robin/media/4347/

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Robin.
        Silks Stars Team

Robin, you are so heard on the concepts making sense but the body still struggling. Aerial work truly is a labor of love with mild madness! The path looks great. The work you are doing to look under the left arm is solid. Perhaps adjusting the timing of the torso throw and the leg power will help you feel something different. The legs need a bit more power in their kick of rotation. And at the height of their lift, spiral in the torso. You want to harness as much kick in the legs before sending the chest. And it’s almost always more kick than we realize until we feel it. Drilling just the leg kick without taking the hands off the pole can let you feel how far you can go, and give you a sense of how long you can hold on before sending the chest. Great work! Happy training!

Robin
        Participant

Thanks so much. I have had many more attempts.
        I like the idea of holding on and focusing on the leg movement. It feels useful even though I have not progressed noticeably yet. I’m calling these many attempts “conditioning” so that it still feels useful. Thanks again!

Silks Stars Team

It is definitely conditioning! Drilling quick twitch muscle activation, building dynamic power, yes yes yes!

Akro.Monkey
      Participant

Do I need to upload my Monthly Challenge video here in the Forum, or are you guys seeing it in my profile for the review?
      Thanks, sorry new here, so not sure how exactly everything works. 😅

Silks Stars Team

Hello! You do not need to share your video here. Once your video is uploaded to your profile, we are able to review it.

Yvan
      Participant

I did not manage to find a way to complete fully the drop without regrabbing the pole. If anyone finds a male friendly way to complete it please let me know 😃❤️. Thanks for an amazing combo! Below probably my final submission… I am slightly bruised from the 150 rollups I did this month 😮‍💨😉

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/4352/

Silks Stars Team

Heya Yvan. Check out @pepperdr11 video submission this month if you can. He found a variation of the drop that cinches around the pole rather than the leg, perhaps the variation you have been looking for? From the initial front balance, the leg wraps front to back on the tail rather than back to front, so it’s not a hip key for the rest of the sequence. Explore gently please! But maybe this is a good piece to play with!

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.