February 2021

Forums Monthly Challenges February 2021

Viewing 43 reply threads
  • Author
      Silks Stars Team

Option 1: Split Silks Sequence to Single Star Spin
      Option 2: Split Silks Sequence to Crotchet Rotation (Mini rig)
      Share your comments, questions, and work from this month’s combination below!

Yvan
      Participant

Beautiful new combo! 🤩
      The videos from this month cannot be downloaded, new policy? or was it a mistake?
      Thanks for looking into it 😃

Silks Stars Team

Thanks for catching that Yvan! Videos are all downloadable now! 🙂

Caitlin
      Participant

Just want to say I am so thrilled you are continuing the mini rig option for monthly challenges. Hope it continues! Also I am so excited to try out the new combo!

Silks Stars Team

Thank you Caitlin, yes we do plan to continue to create a separate tutorial for Mini rigs each month 🙏✨💝

Janice
        Participant

Just like Caitlin, I am very happy you will continue doing mini-rig variations. Super thanks!!!

Jenny
      Participant

Rachel I love the new combo. It feels like Christmas every time you guys put out the next months sequence!😊

Silks Stars Team

Aww that is so sweet, thank you so much Jenny! Cant wait to see what you do with it 😘

Dorag
      Participant

I totally agree with Jenny!
      Also, every month I eagerly await Rachel and Brett”s feedback on the submission and Jenny’s kind and stimulative comments 😊

Rbatignani
      Participant

Just did the shoulder workout fit the February challenge! I love it and hate it all at the same time 🤣 definitely will try this out a couple of times a week!

Silks Stars Team

Ah yes, the old love/hate conundrum 😉 I think you will love the results! Keep up the great work!

ellianajin
      Participant

I just tried it today! Thanks for the new combo! I loved it! Took me a while to figure things out but I think I got most of it! So happy about it! One thing I struggled with from the start: I did not clear the tail between my leg before the rolling down so I had an extra wrap on my waist. It took me a while to realize I was making that mistake but was so happy when I finally figured it out! I am still having trouble doing the spin but looking forward to practicing more to perfect it!

Silks Stars Team

So great you are getting started on the Feb challenge! Feel free to post a video if you would like us to clear anything up but it sounds like the combo is coming along!

ellianajin
        Participant

This is my 2nd-day attempt of the combo. Obviously, some general clean-ups need to happen throughout the routine. But couple of things I find difficult – 1) I sometimes ended up not facing entirely up to the ceiling at the end of the star drop. I felt I didn’t turn enough. 2) The spin…I feel it was difficult to control. I am not used to the sensation, yet. Also, my body felt a bit too loose which contributed to the problem of not being able to control…
        https://www.silksstars.com/community/ellianajin/media/video/

Silks Stars Team

This is a really good start! Keep working on you shapes/poses… The star drop looks good, if you are struggling with the rotation try ‘throwing’ into it more (more force in the rotation). The spin is challenging because of the ‘lowering down’ that needs to happen as well las the unravelling of the tail. Keep working on finding that hollow body position in the spin. Really good start!

Kary
      Participant
        Silks Stars Team

Good start here Kary! Shapes/lines are looking good… Work on keeping your body tight in that star drop to smooth it out. Good effort!

NikkiEva
      Participant

Super bummed that I didn’t get a chance to work much this month and so wasn’t able to post. I’m still majorly quarantining and being careful due to some immunocompromised relatives, anyone have tips for self motivation and actually sticking to the schedule you make for yourself in these crazy times? Looking forward to seeing everyone else’s videos!

Silks Stars Team

Sorry to hear that Nikki! Were you able to upload a video of yourself doing the workout class?

NikkiEva
        Participant

Unfortunately not for January…

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CJlw6Q9g1zq/?igshid=1822udmt36sks

This is such a wonderful program! Can’t say thank you enough! The videos are fabulous! The feedback priceless!!!! Now, a question, how can I improve this split? It’s awful! I can do a split Even an inverted split, but for some reason this vertical split is beating me! 🤣 Any tips on this split or anything else? And THANKS AGAIN!!!! You guys are truly WONDERFUL!

Silks Stars Team

This is looking great Jill! For the split/back needle scale, work on holding the tail a little closer to your ankle each time to really work that shoulder extension and get maximum ‘bang for your buck’ with that shape 😊 Transitions look good, keep working on a faster spin; ‘pumping’ the tails will help you spin faster as well as maintaining that hollow body position. Great work!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

Whoah! That shoulder routine is killer! Who knew such little moves could burn so much! Glad the camera wasn’t on MY face because I’m sure I had some real doozy faces happening! Thanks so much for all the guidance even if it hurts a little! 🤣 SOOOOOO appreciate this!!! 😘

Silks Stars Team

Ah, we are glad you ‘enjoyed’ it 😉 Yes these exercises are challenging but super effective!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

This feedback is SUPER HELPFUL!!!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!!!

cwmacy
      Participant

Thank you for this month’s shoulder work out! Perhaps these exercises will help my flamingo grip and beauty rolls as well.

Silks Stars Team

Great, we are so glad you like the class! Yes for sure, the exercises will help with overall shoulder mobility

Jenny
      Participant

Rachel your demo of this months combo is so stunning! 🙂 I was wondering if you could post a tutorial of that beauty climb in the foundations? I think it is called the bird climb? (Where you rotate into one pole from the inverted split, into an arabesque, keep rotating while hooking both knees, and end up in a gorgeous mermaid ) I am obsessed, and trying to figure it out! LOL

Silks Stars Team

Hi Jenny! Thank you so much for your kind words. We call that climb the ‘Rotating Bird Climb’, it’s a fun one for sure. Brett breaks this climb down fully in the Climbs module in our online certification course ‘Master the Silks’ 😉✨🎪

Yvan
        Participant

I agree with Jenny. Such a beautiful climb! Looking forward to the next opening for Master the Silks 🤩. Any idea about when that will be?

Silks Stars Team

Thanks Yvan,yes we are planning on opening registration for Master the Silks in early April. We will let you know for sure when we do so 🙏🎪✨

Yvan
        Participant

🙏❤️

Caro
      Participant

I’ve had a go at the February challenge. It made me very dizzy!! It’s still very raw but I’m keen on any observations and helpful hints. I found last months early feedback on my video really helpful. I found it quite hard to unwrap the silks and continue a smooth spin as I pulled up.

Caro
        Participant
        Silks Stars Team

This is looking really good! Yes the lowering down into the spin is a challenge, try lowering down with your legs in a V shape and then bringing them together to a faster spin. Try to really focus on keeping a tight, hollow body position as you spin also

Caro
        Participant

Any hints on getting the silk unwrapped from left leg whilst spinning? I find its hard to get off and my getting off movements throw the spin. Thanks

Yvan
      Participant

Version 1.0. I only have height for the mini rig 😭, so I tried to enter with the spin which proved quite challenging. I only have one more possible training so I am hesitating about whether I should try to clean up the entry spin or whether I just just stick to the mini rig version. What do you think?

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Yvan.
        Silks Stars Team

This is looking good Yvan! It is definitely harder to start with the spin because the sequence involves separating the tails which is much harder after a fast spin. I would suggest sticking with the mini rig version. Your shapes/poses look really good (such a nice bendy back!). Try to think about your feet more and either point of flex with intention, sometimes they are relaxed/floppy which takes away from your beautiful lines. Really nice start!

Yvan
        Participant

Thanks a lot for your feedback and advice! I was thinking a bit further about the mini rig entry from a spin. What if I would spin with wide bent arms, and then invert via a tuck? Like that I could more easily invert between the silks 🤔. I wish I could just go train and try it myself but reality is that my next training will be the 20th of February so in the mean time I have lots of time to go through the possibilities in my head 🤯

Silks Stars Team

Yes you could try this for sure! Spinning with them already separated will make it easier to keep them this way and go into the combo

LauraDP
      Participant

here’s my second training, I have a lot of things to fix and need to be more warmed up in my legs, back and shoulders but I have two main problems:
      – I don’t feel secure in the first part. I feel like my foot on top will loose grip
      – during the drop my right arm is in a wrong position and i get stuck with the silk on my head. where should I put that arm?
      the spinning part can’t be done here, I’ll train it separately

work in progress

Silks Stars Team

This is a good start here Laura! Nice flow and your shapes/poses look lovely. Try to really press your foot into the pole in a turned in position (crotchet) to feel more secure in the first section. For the drop; place your hand a little lower on the tail and slightly away from your body in order to avoid it getting in your way as you drop. Good work!

johnnyangel_90
      Participant

My feedback from last month was to work on improving my artistry and presentation and I really want to rise to the challenge. (It is so great to have something specific to work on!!!) I was trying to work on this over the weekend, but I feel as if I’m still not getting it. I would appreciate any tips and feedback anyone has!

https://www.silksstars.com/community/johnnyangel_90/media/630/

Silks Stars Team

This is looking really good Johnny! Beautiful flow and lines/shapes. Your movement quality is very nice. It would be really satisfying to see you play with dynamics now ie moving fast through one movement, slow in another to take your artistry to the next level. Really great work!

johnnyangel_90
        Participant

Thanks so much for the guidance, feedback, and challenge! I’ll try to work on that 😊

Janice
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/janice/media/

I am doing the mini rig version. I hope to get advices on how to improve this. Where I struggle is the vertical split. My right leg is actively crocheted which is obvious as you observe my flexed right foot, which is positioned awkwardly 🙁 When I bend down, I get nervous as I feel I really have to make my left hand grip so tight, otherwise I feel I’d fall. I couldn’t straighten the lower leg (i.e. left leg). What are your tips here? As for the last part, in the last rotation, I found the Silk on my neck. How can I correct this? Any other comments and tips overall will be most appreciated. Thanks.

By the way, I incorporated some things I’ve learned from the Master the Silks certification program: Rotating bird climb with mermaid spin, and the foot spin:)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Janice.
        Silks Stars Team

Hi Janice. Very nice flow here. Try to turn your right foot in more and press it into the top strand during the crotchet, this will make you feel more secure. During the rotation you swept the tail under your arm pit which is why it ended up over your neck. There is no need to touch the tail as you rotate. Over all this is very nice, try to keep your toes pointed wherever possible. This months class ‘shoulder stretch and strong’ will help with the overhead shoulder rotation/stretch and help you straighten the back leg. Good work!

Janice
        Participant

Thank you. I’ll work on this. Super appreciate the coaching.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Janice.
      nick
      Keymaster

Hey! This doesn’t necessarily pertain to the Feb challenge but I just wanted to say thank you to both of you for the kind and thoughtful feedback on previous months challenges <3
      It’s really been helpful to get tips on how to take sequences to the next level. Y’all are amazing!

Luke

canu_camcam90
      Participant

I love this combo it’s so much fun! I’m still playing around a bit and need to clean up a few areas (especially the silk coming off my leg)

Silks Stars Team

That’s great to hear Cameron, we look forward to seeing your video!

Ashley.rose.b
      Participant

Hi! Just worked on the Feb challenge for the first time with height! I trained it a bit on my mini-rig two days ago, but couldn’t practice the full drop. I found it to be fun and challenging! Would love to hear some initial feedback before I work on it again next wee. I’m struggling with:
      – being more horizontal/parallel to floor for the part right before throwing the drop
      – Flailing left arm when I drop (oops!)
      – Keeping the arch out of my back when I spin (never succeeded at a great vertical spin)

Thank you!!!

I posted a video to “my videos” on my profile, not sure if it worked but: https://www.silksstars.com/community/ashley-rose-b/media/

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Ashley.rose.b.
        Silks Stars Team

Hi Ashley, really great start here! Try setting up a little lower so it’s not too tight when you rotate between the poles (before the drop). With the drop itself, slide your right hand down the tails a bit more so you have more space and control (your hand was too close to you body on the landing in this video). For the spin, it’s not bad at all but keep working on that tight body/hollow body position to really get to spinning fast. Great work!

Ashley.rose.b
        Participant

Thank you so much for this feedback! Can’t wait to work on it more next week 🙂

Jenny
      Participant

I am trying to get a good tornado spin but I think my timing is off… looking forward to Friday’s live session 🙂
      Here’s attempt #1 for mehttps://www.silksstars.com/wp-content/uploads/rtMedia/users/154/2021/02/1613016406-febsilkssatrs2.mp4?1613016686

Silks Stars Team

Nice flow Jenny! Yes the spin is challenging here; try to ‘pump’ the tails a little faster and find your hollow body position as you lower down

Jenny
        Participant

awesome I will try that next training! 🙂

LauraDP
      Participant

I’m super happy because I’m back to my studio so I have the chance to train in a safe place after 4 months outside.
      Although I have a higher ceiling, I go really down during the drop, is it because the tail I’m holding is longer? At last now I don’t get stuck with the silk!
      There are some things I’d like to improve but I smiled all the time so I’m happy
      Feb challenge

Silks Stars Team

Lovely Laura! Very nice quality. Are the silks you are using at the studio the same as the ones you trained on previously? Sometimes we drop more if the silks have more stretch. Try to control the drop a bit more and keep your star shape longer. Overall it looks really nice!

LauraDP
        Participant

yes I must keep my legs straight till the end of the drop!
        It’s the same silk! just a higer ceiling

Morgan
      Participant

I’m so bummed I won’t be able to join for the live Q&A today. I had a good start with the mini-rig version, will move onto the other version once the weather permits (my rig is outside). Have fun today!!

Silks Stars Team

Thanks Morgan! The replay is available so you check that out under the Live Q&A tab when you have a chance!

VictorSzeto
      Participant

I’m very lucky I was able to practice this one early enough to figure it out. Doing the mini-rig version, and posting early for feedback. I’m finding that I might not have enough height for an initial climb, so starting the crochet climb right away. Hoping to get more practice time during the month and swap out the soundtrack of Rachel’s instructions with music. Happy valentines day to you all!

Silks Stars Team

Hi Victor! This is looking good! Your shapes/lines look very nice. Work now on finding your ‘flow’ so that your transitions become seamless. Get more comfortable with the arm positioning in the final rotation (what you did was correct) so that this becomes more fluid. Really good start!

VictorSzeto
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback (and thanks to @jenny for your encouragement)! Glad I was able to get this out early. Uploaded a new try, and hoping to have another chance or two to polish up. Really liking this month’s combo. Realizing that I lack red in my tickle trunk, so a wrestling singlet will have to do 🙂

Silks Stars Team

Great work Victor!

Ashley.rose.b
      Participant

Hi! This is my first submission for monthly challenges – it’s not perfect by any means but is the last time I’ll have access to the rig before March. I’m proud of it even with the imperfections! It was fun to have a new sequence to work on after a year without classes :). In case the video upload on my profile doesn’t work, here is the IGTV link. My profile is private but whoever follows should be able to see. https://www.instagram.com/tv/CLajmlHlFLlQGuC59n3UoI3JmwsGjZbMcIYmUc0/?igshid=bqo9i7xlumlp

Silks Stars Team

Congratulations on your first submission Ashley! We look forward to watching your video and awarding your stars!

Silks Stars Team

Congratulations on your first submission Ashley! We look forward to watching your video and awarding your stars!

aerial_nurse_mom
      Participant

Wishing I could practice on my big rig… temps have been too cold to get outside. So working on the mini-rig version. Not sure what I’m doing wrong… need help!
      https://www.silksstars.com/community/interiormeasures/media/652/

Silks Stars Team

This is looking nice! Very nice flow… For the final rotation try to rotate the body towards the ground more so it is easier to reach for the pole behind you with your left hand, then try to ‘whip’ the legs around faster in order to smooth out the rotation. Good work!

Caro
      Participant

Hi Rachel and Bret. I think I’ve found a couple of things that have helped me get the silks off on the spin. (Or it could all be coincidence!) I noticed Rachel raises the right knee whilst the silks are unwrapping in the spin so I tried that and it really helped. I also tried spinning the silks in the other direction which seemed to make the unwrapping easier again. I’d love any feedback on my most recent attempt linked below. Thanks so much! Caro

https://www.silksstars.com/community/caro/media/

Caro
        Participant

I notice that my spin suddenly stops. Is it my body position? And which way is should our face/head be facing?

Caro
        Participant

Oh and any hints in not getting so dizzy or dealing with the dizzy? Thanks!

Silks Stars Team

This is looking really good! Be sure to show your final drop position before moving on. For the spin: Great initial ‘pump’, it is slowing down because your toes are drifting away from your centre, try to keep them directly under your head. Focus on the silks themselves or one of your hands to avoid getting dizzy. some quick recovery tools for dizziness is ‘bouncing’ on your toes (quick rises and lowers up on to the balls of your feet and back down to flat feet) and eating ginger 🙂 Great work!

Caro
        Participant

Thank you!! Now another question (sorry!) how do you stop a fast spin? What are different ways to come out? I got a great one today but suddenly realised it wasnt stopping. Eventually i just tried to v my legs again.

Yvan
        Participant

Awesome questions Caro! 🤩

Silks Stars Team

Yes opening the legs will slow the spin

Eiz
      Participant

this is my practice attempt here And im wondering if the position of my pencil spin is okay (did I hollow body? It felt like it). The spin also felt very fast when I was doing it but when I look at the video it looks so slow 😩 would like tips to improve overall 🙂

Silks Stars Team

Nice work here Eiz! Lines and shapes are lovely, try to hold the end position after your drop a bit longer before moving on. For the spin: Get a faster ‘pump’ when making the circle with the tails and then once you have lowered into the spin try to keep your feet under your head (they are drifting forward in this vide), that will help you spin faster. Great job!

Rbatignani
      Participant

February has been one of those months! Worked on it the first weekend but haven’t had time to touch it again. Maybe next weekend I will play some more to mystic but I posted what I have so far…just in case! https://www.silksstars.com/community/rbatignani/media/

Yvan
      Participant

Hi beauties! I have a question regarding the direction of the spin. I am left handed, does it mean I should spin in the opposite direction as Rachel is showing in her videos? Or is the direction of the spin irrelevant to more easily free the wrapped leg? Thanks a lot in advance! 😃

Silks Stars Team

Hi Yvan,
        The direction of the spin shouldn’t effect the unraveling of the tails. Think about lowering into the spin position with your legs in a slight V shape and allowing the tails to unravel then before bringing the legs together to get a fast spin once the tails are released.

Yvan
        Participant

Thanks a lot for the clarification!! I look forward to trying it again 💪

tguthrie
      Participant

Hi guys! So I’m trying to fit the mini-rig version onto my micro-rig and it has proven….challenging. I’m thinking I will probably end the sequence at the pseudo-mermaid pose (right before bringing my left leg through for the crochet rotation) so I don’t end up literally on the floor like I do in my practice video lol. I’m still trying to smooth out the wraps/transitions a bit more, but the main issue I’ve been having (besides lack of space) is that tail management is a bit awkward/difficult so close to the ground since gravity isn’t pulling the excess fabric away from me so it bunches up a lot. Do you have any tips for that, or any other feedback? Also, do my hot pink silks qualify as “red” for the Valentine’s Day bonus star? I might have a red workout top buried somewhere that I can wear but overall I’m much more of a pink kinda girl than red 🙂

Thanks!

February Practice

Silks Stars Team

Great effort here! Yes, ending in the Mermaid shape totally makes sense with the height you have. Try to get a tiny bit higher with your first invert (I know you need space to get the leg through for the next section but you can still get a little more height and make it through) to help you have more space at the end. One of the challenges with Mini Rigs/Micro rigs is the effort it takes to stay off the ground! Keep ‘pulling up’ as much as possible whenever possible in order to stay up and not lose height. You are doing great, next up, try to dance/perform as much as possible despite the challenges. Great work! Hot pink silks work for your bonus star 😉

karenfox
      Participant

Hi,

Been busy with a show..just started this little sequence. Having a problem.: after triple wrapping bottom leg, I sit up to grab the free tissues, it spins on the swivel away from me. Any advice on this?

Silks Stars Team

Hi Karen, yes this is a fairly common issue. Sit up a little higher in order to reach up and around to get the pole, then the hard part: Make it look like part of your performance! 🙂 Looking forward to seeing your submission!

Elleb
        Participant

I was also having a big problem with this initially. At the time I was trying to stay low on the silks because I was just learning the sequence. Later I found that once I began climbing higher and inverting closer to the rigging point, the pole stayed closer to me and stopped swiveling away. I also found that putting more tension on the tails before the first wrap around my free leg helped to anchor the pole in place.

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

How do I know if my video uploaded correctly this time? I believe I’m having the same issue as last month😢 I don’t understand why this won’t work for me.

Sorry
      Jill

Silks Stars Team

Hi Jill, your video is up on your profile! It looks awesome (love the backdrop!) 💗

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
        Participant

Yayyyy!!!!! Thank you! Still struggling with the hollow shape in the spin, but the shoulder work out is really helping the split! Doesn’t look like yours yet, but I’m not done! 😜 So glad you like my “Red” background! 😍

Yvan
      Participant

I am super happy because today I managed to train in my regular circus studio!
      Thanks again for this beautiful combination!
      This is my submission for February:

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/

Silks Stars Team

Awesome! We look forward to watching Yvan!

ellenreed
      Participant

Very excited to post my first video. It is not perfect but taking the time I have to practice! Love the sequence and excited to continue to work on it!
      https://www.silksstars.com/community/ellenreed/media/

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by ellenreed.
        Silks Stars Team

Congratulations on your first submission Ellen, great work!

Nenedhel
      Participant

Haven’t been able to train much at all this month, so here is my video so far… hopefully I will be able to get to the studio before end of the month but looking doubtful. Annoyingly I got two videos, one the lines were nicer and the other one the spin was better… so I picked the nicer lines and flow 😢 typical can’t both be in the same video

Video

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Nenedhel.
      • This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Nenedhel.
        Silks Stars Team

This is looking good! If you are able to get to the studio agin see if you can get that third wrap a bit lower on your leg so you can hold the tails rather then your foot on the back needle/split. Some very nice moments, good work!

This is my attempt from last week, which I realize I never made a post about here. Still working on my spin and getting my tolerance back. Headed out to work on it again now, and hoping to get some time in Sunday before the very end of the month. Thank you guys for giving us great stuff to work on as usual, and for all the great advice! February sequence attempt

Silks Stars Team

Beautiful work Kitty! Gorgeous flow and lines. Looking forward to seeing your final presentation 🙂

SarahT
      Participant

I didn’t have as much time to train this month, but at least I got an okay video out of today! Conveniently, I currently only have access to red silks, so that part was easy. 🤣

Silks Stars Team

Really nice work Sarah! Congrats on getting a great video even with with limited time, the combo looks great on you!

SarahT
        Participant

Thanks! This is outside my normal wheelhouse, I don’t think I have very good splits, so I tend to avoid doing them when people are watching. The Cupid pose is one of my favorites, though. Getting through the initial run of the sequence was easier than usual, so even with limited time I felt like I could concentrate more on the transitions and less on remembering what to do next.

susi
      Participant

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CLyUGxthV03/?igshid=19t9hj8fsx4ls HI all! here’s the link to video for Feb Challenge, I do hope next month I’ll be able to do it earlier so this sharing can make some sense… 🙈🙈 Wishing you all strong, safe and happy practice! Love u!

Silks Stars Team

Congratulations on submitting Susi! We look forward to watching and awarding your stars!

I’m going out today to try for a faster spin and less of a pause before the drop, but it’s getting there! If I’m not able to get a better take than this, I’ll be pretty happy with this attempt as my entry for the month 🙂 February entry

LauraDP
      Participant

Don’t know if I should keep the video I posted or if I should change it with this version. I improved some things, maybe the technique is better but there’s less connection with music..
      New version

Chris
      Participant

Warmer weather arrived over the last few days so I finally got to work on the February mini rig challenge on my outdoor rig. I couldn’t quite get the end of the sequence, but it was still fun! I’m looking forward to having more opportunity to work on the challenge in March!

Viewing 43 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.