December 2023

Forums Monthly Challenges December 2023

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Silks Stars Team

One Hook Wonder to Crazy Drop and One Hook Wonder to Crazy Wrap Spin (mini rig). Post your questions, comments and work below!

VictorSzeto
      Participant

For the Q&A, for the mini rig version, can you demonstrate how to get the spin at the end to go from slow to fast? I typically find my spin runs out of steam at the end and I want to gain it back! Rachel and Brett have incorporated this before in other combos and they are so mesmerizing to see because you think there’s no more spin to be had … but then they become a whirling dervish. They’ve provided tips in writing, but I’m curious to see how this can be improved in motion.

aerial.borealis
      Participant

Good glory, slippery is right! 😅 Seems the initial hipkey is key, as well as some strategic pickups give it just enough! I found (once I kept enough height for footlock) very difficult (impossible) to push out the box stand. Does that mean too much weight on footlocker foot?

Silks Stars Team

Great question. Potentially, although you do need some weight on that footlock leg for support or it’s all upper body support! The tension between the fully locked fabric and the caught fabric is at play here. To find the box shape, you want to feel the press of the foot into the footlock, both at the arch and around the ankle, while the legs are both facing front or parallel. Think about turning your knee caps in the same direction as your front. And then to find the slide, turn the footlock leg out, or the knee cap turning to the side. It’s an active internal rotation of the legs for the box shape and an external rotation of the front leg for the split.

cjachelski
      Participant

A few questions
      1. I feel like I lose a LOT of height throughout this. Have to climb
      Pretty high and then still barely have height to put on the footlock. Any tips?
      2. With the box stand, it is usually lopsided or I have too much slack to really stand on it. Maybe a body proportion thing? Not sure how I can pull out less

Silks Stars Team

Great questions. There are a few places where slack might sneak into the original hip key height. In the initial secretary sit, check in with the squeeze of the fabrics between the upper inner thighs as you move into the next shape. Check in on the first wrap behind the back right before the spin. And both times the tails are wrapped to the inner thigh, make sure all the slack is out and the wraps are high and tight. For the box shape, see if you are upright as you wrap the foot lock so it’s not too low relative to the thigh wrap on the other leg. You can think about the thigh hitch fabric being along the spin with contact. If you lean over too far with the shoulders to set and finish the foot lock, that might be a place where you are getting some extra loopage. Happy training!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

Did I miss the Q&A for this one? I can’t find it. Anyone else feeling their stamina challenged? I love it!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/jill-b-lovin-aerial/media/4177/
      Thank you for the Q&A link! Today I am really struggling with getting the wrap off my back leg after the 1st split. In the video it looks like she kicks up once and that works for the first wrap, but then I still have another one.

Silks Stars Team

Hey Jill, that split looks great! When you use the foot to press into the split, if you can keep the pole under the arch of your foot, you would then allow the heel to pass to unwind that wrap on the foot and then the kick to release the wrap around the thigh. If your range of motion feels better allowing the fabric to press from the foot and slide to the ankle for the split, then you will need a double release to fully allow the wraps to come off for the next part. All your pieces are correct, just know when any change of where the fabric is on the body might mean the difference between a slide off and a kick off!

Robin
      Participant

Hello! I am having trouble uploading my attempt to my media so may I submit it as a YouTube link? It was fun! Robin

Silks Stars Team

Looks good to me! Will note so we have it.

Robin
        Participant

THANK YOU! Merry Christmas!

Helene
      Participant

Hi there!

I am having trouble uploading my video for this month’s challenge, so I am also sharing a Youtube link here! See below:

Hopefully, it works :). I wish you already a brilliant New Year!

Silks Stars Team

Thanks for keeping the ‘free range’ videos consolidated here! Happy New Year’s!

Helene
      Participant

Forgot to mention that this is my submission for this month😉.

HaleneW
      Participant

Seems that there are a few people having trouble with the upload feature to load our December Challenges (I just tried 3 times and failed miserably). Is there a way to see if there is a glitch in the system?

Jenny
      Participant

I can’t upload my video either!

Silks Stars Team

Hi everyone! We are looking into the uploading issue and will most likely solve it within the next 24 hours. For now, we are extending the deadline to upload until end of day January 1st (PST) because of this issue. We will keep everyone updated! Thanks for your patience.

sailingpages
      Participant

That would be great to solve the uploading issue and have an extension. Still unable to upload my December challenge video…

Silks Stars Team

The issue has been fixed. Please let us know if for some reason you still can’t upload. Thanks!

Silks Stars Team

The issue has been fixed. Please let us know if for some reason you still can’t upload. Thanks!

Robin
      Participant

Hello, and happy NY !
      I’m so sorry to say that my video still won’t upload, but the YouTube link was posted earlier in the month. It’ll do, I hope!

robpippi
      Participant

I upload the video today because Yesterday i was not able to do It. I Hope that It Will be ok

Silks Stars Team

Great! We extended the deadline to Jan 1st because there was an issue with uploading videos. Happy New Year!

Helene
      Participant

Happy New Year!
      Just tried again and my video won’t upload☹️.
      Like Robin, I’ve submitted my video earlier in this forum.
      Will you be able to review it here?

robpippi
      Participant

Some tip for the body position during the Crazy drop? Is It an hollow body?

Silks Stars Team

Good question, Tania most likely has the most in depth information about this particular drop but we can cover the broad technique for front to side rotation drops. For drops that change direction, you typically do not hold the same body position the whole time. Yes, the core is activated, the hips are engaged for the landing. When you release the pole to begin the first part of the drop, the legs kick forward to slow the rotation down. This is how you ‘gain time’ to eventually catch the tail rather than hold it from the beginning. And it slows the rotation down so you can then turn for the next sideways part of the drop. This drop seems to act less like a front dive on top of a star wrap, which the timing for the kick of the legs forward to opening the hips back to the hollow body position is quick, but more like a hip key thread through drop that some people call pantelones. For this drop, you keep the legs hinged forward at the hips a bit longer to feel the wrap land strong at the front of the hips before the small sideways part of the rotation. As you find comfort with the drop, you can pop the sideways part to give it that great twist Tania has in the demo. Keep strong tension in your landing with the tail, there is slide possibilities in the final wrap, hence the use of the free leg to add more friction for the sit up. Happy training!

robpippi
        Participant

<3 thank you

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.