August 2021

Forums Monthly Challenges August 2021

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • Author
      Silks Stars Team

Option 1: Waterfall Slack-Drop to Goddess Throne
      Option 2: Waterfall Roll to Goddess Throne (mini-rig)
      Share your comments, questions, and work from this month’s combination below!

Chriskers
      Participant

Hi there! So I’m having trouble with the cross back part. After the slack drop and you turn around, the turn is awkward. my cross back isn’t centered and off to one side. Does that make sense? Can that be fixed or just practice? Thanks!

Silks Stars Team

Hi there! The more you practice the turn around part, the more complete the turn, and the better placed the cross will be.

Yvan
      Participant

First try… that I am happy to share with you. what a scary drop!

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/1326/

Caro
      Participant

I’m about to go away for a week so thought I’d pop this in for any feedback and hints. Thank you https://www.silksstars.com/community/caro/media/1328/

Silks Stars Team

Nice work so far. Try to pause after the drop, attach your foot to the pole and do the turn part as slow as possible to start.

Elleb
      Participant

I am having trouble getting the slack drop to drop all the way. You can see in the video that there is still some fabric looped around my waist and I fall into it as I’m doing the turn. I am putting tension on the tails but this is still happening. Also, I can’t tell if I’m truly at the bottom of the drop or not (I only figure it out when I’m doing the turn and fall the rest of the way). Any advice? https://www.silksstars.com/community/elleb/media/1331/

Silks Stars Team

Hi there! Hmmm, interesting how you are getting that extra slack. I’m curious if it’s humid where you are? I think it could be because your arms are pointed forwards at a 90 degree angle. I’d suggest trying the drop with your arms out to your sides more. Also, you can try holding a little less tension (just during the slack drop part) to see if that helps the slack drop part slide all the way before the rotation.

Chriskers
      Participant

I’m also having slack problems after the drop. Just learned how to paste the video here😜

https://www.silksstars.com/community/chriskers/media/1333/

Silks Stars Team

Hi There!
        Try to straighten your arms more and hold them out to the side. Then really drive your right arm over your head during the turn around part. Let us know how it goes!

Auriol
      Participant

Is it ok to do a knee hang instead of a crochet for the mini rig version? My mini rig is really short. I can fit it in with the crochet, but I am basically touching the ground after my rotation, even if I don’t slide at all in my setup.

Instagram link for version with knee hang:

Silks Stars Team

Yes! You absolutely can do a knee hook. Just squeeze super tight!

Auriol
        Participant

Perfect! Thank you!! (Also I really need to put my bigger rig back up- lol)

Kary
      Participant
      aerialranger
      Participant

I feel like I am dropping really far during the rotation after slack drop. Any advice? Is it just more practice with body position during rotation? Hopefully I linked the video correctly. I am a newbie here!

At first, I was getting my leg stuck in the initial knee wrap and was unable to straighten it, but I learned not to bend the leg all the way in. Now I’m just smoothing out the leg beats and trying to figure out why I keep landing sort of wonky after the rotation. The knot is staying in the center of my back, but my body feels not completely straight before beating into the goddess throne. Any tips appreciated as always! August current attempt

Silks Stars Team

Nice work! There is a small amount of slack that isn’t tightening completely before the rotation. Try a looser top knee hook for the drop. That should help get the poles evenly dropped. When you do the rotation, think about keeping the star position with both legs, a bit more on the horizontal plane.

Caro
      Participant

Hi team. It’s my turn to be missing the silks! New Zealand has gone into a hard nationwide lockdown (so I haven’t been in since that first attempt this month) and I’m not sure if we’ll be out before the end of the month, but I have my fingers crossed of course.

I’m following along with your progress everyone. You’re doing great!

If we don’t get out in time am I better to a) include a video of the waterfall drop with music and styling but no Goddess Throne or b) the attempt I have uploaded with the goddess throne (but no styling as I was just trying it out for the first time). Thanks. Oh and a big thank you for the ground workout series too!

Silks Stars Team

Hi Caro! Oh man, we totally understand lockdowns. It’s so hard! Please upload whichever video you feel best about. Good luck over there, thinking of you…

susi
        Participant

Hi Caro! The studio where I practice was also closed for two weeks right after my 2 weeks of holidays so when I came back I was kind of struggling with my strength lost… Actually it’s coming back, slowly, but it doesn’t matter. That lockdown won’t last, soon you’ll be flying again! And you’re not alone, this warm community created by Brett and Rachel is here for you! Sending love!

thelostgeek
      Participant

Been on aerial hiatus for 2 months and slowly getting back to practice!
      Ground work submission only this month, and testing Google Photos link.Arlin’s august silk stars

Hi!!! Would love some advice on how to stay stable (and not slip &/or fall out) while letting go of some of the tail to wrap my thumb before the beat/inversion/crowsnest…

Any tips?
      https://www.silksstars.com/community/the-heather-feather/media/1348/

Yvan
      Participant

Hi! I am having the same issue as @the.heather.feather. When I let go of the silk to wrap my thumb around I slide down. And I wonder where I should focus to avoid that. I tried different things but I have not yet found the consistent alignment that would keep the back knot as I move my hands. Maybe keeping the elbows bent helps? Maybe protracting the shoulder blades to push the upper back against the cross back? I really appreciate your input on this matter.
      Thanks! ❤️🙆🏻‍♂️

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Yvan.
        Silks Stars Team

Hi Guys!
        Try keeping more of the tails in the hands to help reduce sliding – so less ‘goddess’ in that initial opening of the hands after the rotation and more tail in hands will help to control the sliding.

Jenny
      Participant

Here’s my sloppy attempt at trying to transition directly from the drop into the rotation/arm sweep section…I think it’s a fail because I am piking?
      https://www.silksstars.com/wp-content/uploads/rtMedia/users/154/2021/08/1629766964-august-silksstars.mp4?1629767414

Silks Stars Team

Hi Jenny! Not a fail at all! It is happening fast- try to hold the star body position as you rotate, especially with your left leg…

Jenny
        Participant

Awesome! Thanks I am gonna try that today!

susi
      Participant

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CS8ah5kh-u2/?utm_medium=copy_link Hi! Finally I have something to share as the studio opened again and I already went there twice. So thanks Silks Stars for make me feel super uncomfortable as I was afraid of slack drops, and yes, it’s past now! That grip with the thumb inside was new too, felt super hard and the next moment was ok 😊😊 To take my mind out of the fear feeling I told myself a story with a creature emerging from the deep ocean… well, we have to have fun, right? Love this community ❤

Silks Stars Team

Wonderful work Susi! And what a fantastic idea about the story telling, thank you for sharing that with us!!!

susi
        Participant

Ah ah, thanks! I’m not really sure if I’ll have the studio “for me” to clean this routine a bit more… I felt easier to control the arms move (after the drop) if I drop with bend elbows, so only strainghtening my arms after the drop… does this make any sense or maybe I’m still a bit scared? And it also feels like it takes me an eternity to open the fabric and double cross it behind my back…

Silks Stars Team

Yes, that does make sense!

Yvan
      Participant

I am happy to post a new attempt of this challenging drop. I am slowly cleaning it up and now I wonder whether it is at all possible to keep the legs straight during the rotation? I feel the body naturally bends in the last moment to create the needed balance to rotate. I might have 1-2 more trainings before my holidays so as usual any feedback is welcome 🙂

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/1352/

Silks Stars Team

Great job Yvan! It is possible to have straight legs during the rotation. However, depending on what the performers personal body proportions are, it may be more or less difficult to do so. You happen to have super long and amazingly strong legs! So it may take lots of trial and error to get that. Try to reach your arms even more overhead and keep your chest low (meaning try not to “sit up”) at all during the rotation. Let us know how that goes. Also- if you do prefer to rotate with bent legs, that is perfectly fine. Just do it with style!

Yvan
        Participant

Makes a lot of sense! Thanks a lot 🙂

Silks Stars Team

You’re so welcome!

AerialViolinist
      Participant

Hi there Silks Stars!

I’m really trying. REALLY! I’m going to go wash my silks today to see if that helps, but I just have never had so many problems with a challenge before!

1 – I can’t drop cleanly EVER (Part of it is that I am in a super humid climate and there’s not much I can do about that, but it’s really frustrating. Also painful because it grips my waist so tightly.

2 – I can’t help piking and also keeping my legs straight during the “turn-drop” and sometimes my arms go through the middle of the silks and I get stuck and then it is REALLY painful! I end up piled forward and struggling to get around.

3 – Then, because the silks are always really to the right, I can’t get a clean kick to go into the bird plus my head sticks into the fabric.

But I’m not going to give up! At risk of embarrassing myself, I thought I could send a video of what is happening and get your thoughts because I’m pretty frustrated. https://www.silksstars.com/community/aerialviolinist/media/1362/

Thanks.

Silks Stars Team

Hi there! Really great work so far. We know this one is a toughy so we are so glad you are not giving up!
        Here are some things to try-
        1- When doing the first part of the drop when you straighten the wrapped knee, think about releasing the top hooked knee more- like a very light, loose hook.
        2- When doing the rotation portion of the drop, try to bend your knees on purpose in a “stag” shape.
        3- Maybe wear a slippery fabric top? That may help with the ending position before the beat.

Let us know how that goes. We commend you for all these awesome attempts!

Yvan
      Participant

Tomorrow I am leaving on holidays for a month to Spain and Italy so this month I am posting a bit earlier than usual. Thanks a lot for your awesome guidance and good luck everone with this challenging combo 🙆🏻‍♂️❤️

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/1363/

Helene
      Participant

Hi everyone!
      I am a Silks Star newbie and I am so glad to be part of this wonderful community.
      I have only had one week to train this challenge so I am still struggling with it a lot, especially during the rotation section. My ribs gets crushed as I feel I fold in half instead of rotating.
      Today is the last day I can train it, I’ll try to improve.

The link shows my struggle 😅

Silks Stars Team

Hi Helene, and welcome to Silks Stars! Great work so far. During the rotation part, think about placing your arms more over your head so your body weight is balanced better. Also- think about driving the rotation with your legs. Whip the second leg (your right, I think) quickly after the first leg (the one attached to the pole). Let us know how it goes!

Helene
      Participant

Thank you so much for your tips!

AerialViolinist
      Participant

Thanks Silks Stars Masters! Your advice really helped 🙂

3rinnhicks
      Participant

Here’s my best take so far. I wrapped my knee the wrong way, but it still worked out okay. Do you think that matters? Any advice how to avoid getting the fabric in your face in the birds nest pose (tagged foot split)?
      https://www.silksstars.com/community/3rinnhicks/media/1376/

Silks Stars Team

Really nice work! Depending on how much fabric is on the ground, and how much you’ve gathered, it may be tough to not have it in the face. Best bet would be side leaning a little, and also- sell it! Haha. It looked great in your video.

Silks Stars Team

Also, for the wrap- once your wrapped knee is straightened, its the same. I think it feels more secure one way or the other, depending on how much you’re squeezing.

Manon
      Participant

Can I submit the November Challenge instead of the August one ? I want to take advantage of doing drops on my outside rig but it’s not totally high enough for this month challenge. I never did the November one before.

CassandraMann
      Participant

I am running into some issues with extra slack in the drop like some others have mentioned. You can see it pretty well in this video I attached. I also keep catching my head on the tails going into birds nest. Suggestions anyone? https://www.silksstars.com/community/cassandramann/media/1387/

Silks Stars Team

Hi there- looking great so far! For the slack drop part, try a looser knee hook with the top knee. This should help get the poles to release completely. Also- if you have a chance to watch the Q and A replay- Brett goes over these issues… For the tails in the birds nest- no worries! Sometimes that happens. You can try leaning to the side when arching up, turning your face, and sell it!

Eiz
      Participant

Hi Brett and Rachel! Thank you for this wonderful challenge. This is my best attempt of 2nd day of practice (just came from a 3-week quarantine so it’s quite clunky). Is it just me, or am I really slow in the rotation to the T-shape? Ive seen your comment to Helene of whipping the 2nd leg to rotate but it got me all over the place. What i did here i just released the top leg and hoped for the best 😅. Also would like any other comments to make it better ☺️

Silks Stars Team

Hi there! This looks great! Your rotation is really nice, I think it works well done slowly like that. The only thing I would say is- think about getting your knees super straight and feet pointed during the beats before and during birds nest.

Eiz
        Participant

Thank you for the feed back! I’ll try my best to straighten those beats.

Tanya.Campos
      Participant

Hi Brett and Rachel! Here’s my attempt at the challenge:August Challenge Is this ok? Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!😊❤

Silks Stars Team

Good work Tanya! Great energy and styling. If you have the chance to do it again try to spend a little more time in the ‘Iron Cross’ after the drop and really show off that moment before transitioning into the beats. Great work!

Tanya.Campos
        Participant

Thank you so much Brett and Rachel!❤💖❤

So, everytime I try to upload my latest attempt, I am getting the following message
      Oops !! There’s no media found for the request !!

This appears *after* the video has fully loaded. I have been successful sending the video/media via text and email, however it will not load into my profile.
      Help please!

Eiz
        Participant

Having the same problem as well after deleting my practice vid. Can’t upload my final my final august submission 😧

Silks Stars Team

Sorry for the inconvenience Heather and Eiz, the issue is fixed now, please upload your videos to your profile. Thank you so much!

Here is a link to my Aug submission via instagram, as I cannot for the life of me figure out why this video will not load (but all my previous ones were fine 😂)

<ahref=”https://www.instagram.com/tv/CTOlo30jDMp/?utm_medium=copy_link”&gt;

Manon
        Participant

I have the same problem ! I tried 4 times. The upload starts and when it’s almost done, it’s not there anymore. ???

Silks Stars Team

Thank you for posting here, we are looking into the issue on our end and will get it rectified ASAP!

Any feedback on this submission would be greatly appreciated!!!
        Mother Nature has changed her mind and there is enough sun to make another video 😜😂

Silks Stars Team

Really nice work Heather! Reviews will be in soon!

Manon
      Participant

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CTPiHIMlpdx05HLhtivBaTvHDjEdegp8TE4pCs0/?utm_medium=share_sheet

I’m unable to upload my August video. Hope you can see it on Instagram with this link. I did the November Challenge. I didn’t have enough height for the August one.

Please, let me know how I can upload my submission. I already tried 4 times and it’s not working.

Silks Stars Team

Hi Manon! We are so sorry for the inconvenience, the issue is fixed now, please go ahead and upload to your profile, thank you so much!

Rbatignani
      Participant

Talk about procrastination! I actually haven’t been able to work on this as much as expected since I had a huge aerial silks burn on my back! Florida humidity and silks can be painful 🤣 here is the best I was able to do while I was healing! https://www.silksstars.com/community/rbatignani/media/1435/

karenfox
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/karenfox/media/1439/

Working on flow (still) and musicality

AmyFlory
      Participant

I really like this sequence and am going to keep practicing it. I tried it again tonight with a flagged foot since my knees pop and generally complain when I crochet on double fabrics. My studio doesn’t allow slack drops without cotton leggings, which I forgot tonight, so did the mini-rig version. https://www.silksstars.com/community/amyflory/media/1444/

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.