September 2023

Forums Monthly Challenges September 2023

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Silks Stars Team

Standing Roll to Ankle Hang Belay Split Push Out and Two-Hand Standing Roll to Foot Lock Belay Split (Mini Rig) post your questions, comments and work below!

uberannie
      Participant

4 days in and no posts, is everyone scarred from hip lock roll ups last month 😀 I am finally able to start attempting monthly challenges yay and this looks fun!

I would love some tips on hand placements when going from single foot russian to the push out to regrabbing to put your body through the loop – ie the first few moves.

Also I notice when tipping over (going from foldover to kicking your legs over and through to end up in standing) I am currently leaving my foot on the whole way rather than taking my second foot off when I am in candlestick – is it essential to take the foot off? It makes the belay loop quite long otherwise (the belay loop you end up with your knee in) – is that the intent ?

Silks Stars Team

Right?!?! We were getting worried about ya’ll, hahah!
        Great questions, Brett can cover this in the Q&A.

uberannie
        Participant

I just watched the Live Q&A replay, thank you for the tips, looking forward to trying them out. I don’t think I’ll make this month’s submission but aim to submit another month. You guys release so many cool challenges if only I had more time to train 🙂

Danica.Liu
      Participant

I’m finding the rotation to the split quite difficult for my back – is it ok if I’m less than horizontal? Other question, any tips for the foot that is crossed in the belay – when I rotate to the split I find my foot sometimes comes out. Should I be actively flexing it? I’m pretty sure I’m pointing it out of habit 😂

Silks Stars Team

Finding how the sequence works with your body safely is key. And Brett might have some ideas how to aim for horizontal while listening to your body.
        As for the foot, generally speaking, keeping tension between the fabric and your foot typically allows for the foot to be either flexed or pointed. However, since this sequence really plays with tension, Brett may have some more specific tips for this in the Q&A.

Danica.Liu
        Participant

I’ve tried different options, but am not convinced the split is available to me. Am I able to do a version of the mini rig split, but still do the full rig version for the rest?

Dorag
        Participant

What worked for me is placing the footlock low and also grabbing the silks with my hands low before turning. I initiate the rotation with my right knee, my hips follow and upper body at the end.

Silks Stars Team

@dorag – Fabulous! Yes, a low foot lock gives you a longer amount of fabric to work between the feet, and placing the hands low gives us the most room for back flexibility. Typically, you want to take some weight out of the joint you are rotating, in this case, shift the weight from ankle hang to the hands, so you don’t over tax the joint in rotation. And, while hips move in a variety of ways, we also typically suggest initiating rotation from the core out, so from the hips first. If you are starting to feel funky in the knee or hip from your knee first pathway, check in with you abs and glutes for support of the joints and/or try initiating the turn in the hip of the ankle hang leg. Happy training!

Silks Stars Team

@Danica – Sounds like a wonderful way to make the sequence work for you! You may also find tips given below to @cathy and @dorag helpful pieces to keep in mind as you work on the shapes.

Cathy
      Participant

I’m really not flexible enough for the rotation into the split after the ankle hang and trying to figure out if giving myself more or less slack in the foot lock would help me get closer to the pose. I really liked some of the shapes in the mini rig version so if I can’t find something that works for my body I may try mixing and matching. 🙂

Silks Stars Team

Love a good mix and match!!

Cathy
        Participant

Any tips on the amount of slack or height for the footlock?

Silks Stars Team

Great question. Typically, more slack means more room. A difference between the two choreography options is the position of the hips to the foot in the belay before wrapping the footlock on the free leg. Being under the foot in the ankle hang makes a more vertical shape. Being on top of the foot in the belay gives your a more horizontal option. If you are trying a mix and match, exploring what shapes feel accessible to your body in the horizontal space might be a good place to start. These shapes might also be accessible in the vertical space, it’s translating the body position while inverted. For example, you may have room for some split shapes from the ankle hang if the hands start lower before turning over. Happy training!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

I’m really struggling with the final pullover in the mini rig version. I can do a pullover in the knot or over a bar, but for some reason I’m really on the struggle bus to do it in this challenge and the one time I just bent my knees and did a really ugly one to try to find the path, the silks were horribly tangled and I was not beautifully released as in the demo.😂 I’ll keep working, but looking forward to the Q&A!

robpippi
      Participant

Nice, flowy challenge!!! I have very hard time with the foot hang, any suggestion to make it not a torture? It’s only practice?
      Thank you!!

Silks Stars Team

Practice is certainly part of it! Sometimes when training a skill with a lot of sensation, setting a goal of trying it two to three times per session gives your body time to acclimate. Making sure the wrap starts tight around the leg side of the ankle before settling in to prevent uneven cinching is another aspect to consider. Strengthening the flex of the foot so when you are hanging, you are activated into the fabric rather than your foot being pulled away from the body is another place to find some comfort. And breathing! Some of the training we do where discomfort is a part of it is retraining the sensation. If we can comfort the body and brain in the skill, it’s yet another layer of training the body to find the ankle hang to be less daunting. Listening to your body in the process is key! Happy training!

aerial.borealis
        Participant

I don’t know if will help, but I started with some low “ankle hangs” (upper back resting on ground), practicing engaging my entire leg, quad on down, to hold the flex for ankle hang. That seemed to take the tourniquet feel off the top off my foot. You can just tie a knot at a good height and practice in the loop part. 😁

Silks Stars Team

Oh yes! Good point. Modifying the amount of weight a new skill manages is another great way to build both strength required and the level of sensation experienced each step of the way.

robpippi
        Participant

Thank you!!! I Will try It out!!!

aerial.borealis
      Participant

Any tips for height control? I’m trying to keep the belay loop as short as possible, but still tuning out of space on my 20’ rig, starting w hands just below rescue 8. Besides keeping foot on loop as we pike through, other tips welcome!

Silks Stars Team

Excellent question. The loop will most likely end up being hip height. Once you are upright, if all the weight is in the loop and the live end of the belay, or the tail that allows the loop to become either bigger or smaller, is not controlled, you will create more slack in the loop. You can try sharing weight between the foot and the hands to keep the loop the same length. In the demo video, Lydia leans on the belay loop sideways away from the live side, keeping pressure off of the live end so it doesn’t slide any further. There is little pressure on the loop while she preps for the knee drop and once the hands release from above the belay loop, they catch both tails to keep any new slack from occurring. Not much rest for your grip to really keep the loop from sliding open! Keep us posted!

aerial.borealis
        Participant

Finally stopped raining! I tried keeping more in my hands on the roll, that made all the diff, finally had space for the footlock. Still ugly, one more day! 😓💪🏼

Gillian
      Participant

Managed to get in the air to try the mini-rig version a couple of times – I’ve been struggling since my back surgery to train regularly or get past rebuilding the basics – not sure I’m ready to share the videos of my struggle this month!

aerial.borealis
        Participant

Hey there, surgery sister! This is my first try post-full abdominal hysterectomy, too, I’m recording now. Good news, no cancer. Bad news, I’m in recovery mode. You’re amazing and strong and your newly modified body is amazing and strong, too. Today is today and tomorrow will be even better. You inspire ME!

Gillian
        Participant

You’ve got this! Make sure you stay in recovery mode as long as you and your body needs x

Robin
      Participant

Hello! I tried this early September and loved it (and I had work to do) but then had foot surgery (stick in foot. Not optimal!) and once it recovered the weather was too windy with rolly seas. Maybe I’ll combine Sept and Oct next weather window!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.