September 2022

Forums Monthly Challenges September 2022

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • Author
      Silks Stars Team

Option 1: Reverse Kip-Up to Floating Cartwheel
      Option 2: Reverse Kip-Hook to Floating Cartwheel
      Share your comments, questions, and work from this month’s combination below!

cjachelski
      Participant

Omg! This looks fun! What is the song Brett is doing the sequence to!?

Btest66
        Participant

Anyma “All My Relations”

Christmas (September) came early! This looks so fun!!

Ogie
      Participant

So cool to have a really dynamic choreo, i really love this one (although it is difficult and time will fly this month). Thank you!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

I agree! Christmas came early!! This looks so FUN… and challenging… and FUN… and gut squishing and I couldn’t wait to start! So is it too soon to post a short 15 sec video here if the neck hang? I’m already struggling! 🤣🤷🏼‍♀️

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/jill-b-lovin-aerial/media/2802/

Ok, It’s September now! So here’s my terrible attempt at this neck balance. Please excuse my crazy excited noises! 😂 This is the only time I even sort of got it and I was excited, but it’s very unstable. What am I doing wrong? How can I improve? Thanks! I’m having a blast! SOOOOO WANT to get that Kip up!!! So excited! 😃🤩

Silks Stars Team

Hi Jill, looking great! Think about pressing your hips forward a bunch (into the pole) and arch for your life!!! Think about your upper back squeezing around the pole as if it is another hand. Let us know how it goes!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
        Participant

Ok! Sounds great! I’m gonna give it my best shot! Thanks!

Yvan
      Participant

Hi! I deleted my previous post because in the meantime I trained again today and I believe I progressed slightly with regards to my body alignment in the beat. Still not there though so any feedback is very much appreciated 🙂
      I slowed down the video so that it becomes easier to see what I am doing or not doing…
      Thanks a lot in advance!
      Yvan

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/2805/

Silks Stars Team

Brett says-
        Yvan you need to do beats with legs staying even hips square.

Cathy
      Participant

I keep hooking the wrong foot when I do the kip up…the left foot just wants to hook instead of the right! I can switch my feet once I catch the hook but the wrap around my waist starts to feel uneven. I can push through to the leg wrap and twist up, but it gets pretty uncomfortable. Any tips? I haven’t made it all the way to the end yet.

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
        Participant

This is happening to me too!!!

Silks Stars Team

Brett says-
        Cathy/Jill- hold onto the tail tighter once in the prep position and keep more tension on it until the correct ankle is hooked. If there’s any slack or slipping of the tail through the gripping hand, the s-wrap will shift. In order to break the habit of hooking the wrong foot, They need to practice driving their heels more and wait longer before hooking their foot. They are most likely rushing to hook a foot so need to focus on getting more inverted almost like they are going into a scorpion pose before they hook.

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
        Participant

Excellent!!! Can’t wait to try this wonderful advice! Just love you Hutus so much! This makes sense in my head! Can’t wait to try it with my body! Thank you!!!

Cathy
        Participant

Thank you. I will definitely try that.

iheartwaffles
      Participant

Hi! First time commenting! woohoo!

This combo looks so cool and I really want to get it! But I’m not super experienced/confident, practicing alone (anyone from Kauai, HI here wanna practice together??), and really don’t want to fall on my face!

So I’m having some trouble getting the guts to do the kick-up. I can get into the start position but when I try it I just bend in the middle. Do you have any advice for a newbie? Maybe a way to try it closer to the ground? Or is this like a back and ab strength kind of thing? I’ve been trying the warm-up but just kind of slip into a knee hang after rotating forward. I do have a long torso and feel like the balance point isn’t on the hips. Should I have the silk more around my tummy?

Thanks in advance! 😀 😀 😀
      -kim

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by iheartwaffles. Reason: I should of picked a better username with my name in it
        Silks Stars Team

Brett says-
        Yes wrap higher on tummy, just do mini rig version low- you won’t fall out as long as you keep hanging on to tail tightly during the Kip hook.

iheartwaffles
        Participant

Yay I got it!!! I guess i just needed some encouragement! Thank you!

Cathy
        Participant

I’m on Oahu…close but not close enough. The wrap is very secure so go for it!

iheartwaffles
        Participant

Dang so close!!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

The ground workout was AMAZING!!!! THANK YOU❣️

Spicemonster
      Participant

Hi Everyone! I am new here, so I apologise if I am not posting correctly.
      I am not getting the alignment right with the beats to kip-up, and I am terrible with orienting my body with my brain. (1) Am I under or over rotating? (2) Is the wrap too high up? Should I keep it closer to the hip bones?
      Thanks much for any tips 🙏

https://youtube.com/shorts/yheQHK9jjcA?feature=share

Silks Stars Team

Brett says-
        hold onto the tail tighter once in the prep position and keep more tension on it until the correct ankle is hooked. If there’s any slack or slipping of the tail through the gripping hand, the s-wrap will shift. In order to break the habit of hooking the wrong foot, They need to practice driving their heels more and wait longer before hooking their foot. They are most likely rushing to hook a foot so need to focus on getting more inverted almost like they are going into a scorpion pose before they hook.

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/jill-b-lovin-aerial/media/2806/

Thanks for the help with the neck balance and the Kip-up! Both are improving! 😄👍🏼 Now… this floating cartwheel thing… I am a hot mess! 😂 Help please!

I also want to say that this challenge is PACKED with cool, creative, and challenging skills and I just can’t say thank you enough! I’m having a complete blast!!!

Danica.Liu
      Participant

Hi, I just wanted to check if my cartwheel is right or not. I’ve managed to stabilise so I’m not rotating as I’m kicking into it, but just wanted to check this is right (I know it’s messy). Any tips on how to avoid spinning as I had to wait a while to stop lol. I was stationary for the wrap but when I went from inverted to upright, I had a slight spin so I waited until I stopped before attempting the cartwheel.

https://www.silksstars.com/community/danica-liu/media/2808/

Cathy
      Participant

My Kip hook is getting better…holding the tail tighter was the trick. I’m still slipping when I go to wrap the left leg right after. I’ve even taken to passing the tail instead of dropping it to try to keep tension. The wrap slips below my hip bone sometimes. I’m still wrapped but not as secure.

Yvan
      Participant

Hi!
      First of all thanks a lot for bringing such a dynamic sequence to silksstars 🙂 I am loving it. I have a comment and a question:
      1. My comment: I enjoy the sequence so much that within the first days of the month I was obsessively practising with bad technique and I hurt my floating back rib… ouch 🙁 probably not being mindful when exiting the s-wraps or doing too many beats when already tired. The thing is that it still hurts when I put pressure on it and my red silk is so wide it always puts pressure in the painful spot. I tried doing the s-wrap lower on my hip bones but then either it was sliding during the beats putting extra pressure or the kip up was not happening. This is the reason why I am using a rope at the moment. The rope avoids at all times the painful spot. I hope to be able to transfer the combo to the silks but honestly I am not sure how long my rib will take to heal properly.
      2. My question: I am now incorporating the back dive after the kip up and I am noticing some not so optimal landings for the cartwheel. In the below video, for instance u can see that the wrapping got really high; close to my armpit which makes it more difficult to move in the beat… I feel that more control is required in the back dive to grab sooner the pole so that the wrapping stays closer to the waist. Is this making any sense to you? Any other tips? Thanks a lot!

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/2809/

ajb36075
      Participant

The flamenco grip. It just isn’t happening. My shoulders have very low flexibility. (I’m working on it.) Whats the best exercise to get that grip?

Silks Stars Team

Brett will go over all these questions during tomorrow’s Q and A!!!

Jenny
      Participant

Hi guys. I love it. I have a couple questions. should the s wrap be cinching like mad during the beats? In the video here it is not too bad but in subsequent practices it is crazy tight. Also when landing into the prep for floating cartwheel, is there a better position for the wrap…ie less tension so that the pendulum can be be more even in both directions (on the first swing to the left especially) Hope this makes sense….

https://www.silksstars.com/wp-content/uploads/rtMedia/users/154/2022/09/September-practise.mov?1663031181

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Jenny.
      Ogie
      Participant

Still working on the Option 2: Reverse Kip-Hook to Floating Cartwheel, hope to start kip-up soon. Did a good amount of beat training, in hammock and on trapeze.

– tips to get the maximum out of the s-wrap beat in the kip (especially since my legs do not go far back. Not sure if it is back flexibility related.)

– tips for the second part of the cartwheel. I could use some fluency, the movement stops half way. I try to loosen the tail i am holding.

– could we do more dynamics? A month is short but i am sure if we do more it becomes easier. I love it!

– you asked for a guest teacher: mizuki Shinagawa would be great, also for dynamics. (Yes: i dream big)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Ogie.
      Janice
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/janice/media/2812/

Hi. I’d appreciate if someone can observe this 17-sec video and guide me as to what I am doing wrong. My legs bend backwards instead of keeping them straight. Coaching will be most appreciated. Thanks for this dynamic challenge.

Silks Stars Team

HI Janice! So when performing your back swing beats, think about keeping your knees straight as possible, and engaging from your core/lower core/all the way down to your knees. Brett will go over this concept in detail during todays Q & A.

Janice
        Participant

Super thanks for your reply and for taking this up in the Q&A. I watched the replay. Amazing tips, as usual 🙂

Janice
        Participant

Super thanks for your reply and for taking this up in the Q&A. I watched the replay. Amazing tips, as usual 🙂

Silks Stars Team

You’re welcome!

ndagesse
      Participant

I just wanted to thank you and Micah for the fantastic Hip Mobility warm up this month, I loved the specificity and intensity! Thank you for always finding new ways to inspire us!

Robin
      Participant

Hi all! I at least started! I didn’t manage neck balance, must keep legs long in Kip, and get my cartwheel more vertical. But I am glad to have started!! https://www.silksstars.com/community/robin/media/2814/

Eiz
      Participant

Hi! Just wanted to share that i switched out my medium stretch to low stretch after going nowhere for 2 weeks. The low stretch really does make everything smoother and easier. Thank you Brett and friends for bringing that up in the Q&A. Sometimes it’s not you, it’s really the apparatus that you’re working with 🤗 Good luck to everyone guys 🤗

Yvan
      Participant

Hi beauties!
      I have a question regarding the cartwheel. Half way through the cartwheel I always feel the wrap slides around my bootie and down… the movement goes quite quick and I feel anyway safe but now I am trying to clean up that part and I am wondering whether my technique is OK or whether I am actually falling out of the wrap during the cartwheel. I checked again the videos from Brett and I see the wrap sliding also in his videos but In his case it seems it stays around the waist theoughout the cartwheel.
      I attach a video below where I kick the pole accidentally during the cartwheel which makes it even more noticeable.
      Thanks!!

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/2820/

Silks Stars Team

This looks like it could be a tail issue, Yvan. Try to keep aiming the tail downward towards the floor as you switch hands during the cartwheel, so the hand the grabs second, grabs in the same spot as the first and continues to aim the tail downwards as it slides through the hand. It looks like you are lifting the tail upwards when switching hands which is creating some slack in the waist wrap.

Yvan
        Participant

Wow! Awesome advice! Thanks a lot!

Gillian
      Participant

It’s been great to get back to some regular(ish) silks training as I’ve found somewhere that I can take my silks – the down side is the height is pretty low at 9ft /10ft so I’ve been having a play with elements of the combo in that height using the alternate wrapping technique with out the kip hook and finding poses on the way through (found a nice gazelle /layback before rotating out, plus how to get out of it without doing the cartwheel or just sliding down. Is anyone else working super low? https://www.silksstars.com/community/gillian/media/2821/

Silks Stars Team

Really nice work, Gillian. Way to work with limited height!

Gillian
        Participant

Thank you! not had any more studio time so will leave this as my submission. Its been really fab to train again and have something new and interesting to try and work with and towards! Looking forward to seeing what October has in store for us all!

Audasilk
      Participant

Hello! I really enjoy the September Challenge and i’m trying to get through it but 🥺 it’s not working very well.
      Does anyone know what i’m doing wrong?
      https://www.silksstars.com/community/audasilk/media/2822/

Thanks in advance for your help and feedback 😵‍💫

Silks Stars Team

Hi Aude-
        For the reverse kip hook, think about holding the tail tighter (right hand) to keep the wrap in place- this should help to get your right leg hooked at the end of the rotation. The cartwheel looks good, just keep drilling it for more polish. Let us know how it goes!

Katharina
      Participant

Hi, I do silks since one year and to hang in the S-wrap is really challenging me. Any advice on how to progress? Is it just about getting the muscles tight enough or are there other aspects to think about?

Silks Stars Team

Hi there-
        Can you describe the challenge? Also- maybe post a video (that you can delete later) so we can have a visual?

Katharina
        Participant

I tried with a thicker silk for now and that works much better. I just felt like completely squeezing my tummy, but after some practice it got better…

AmberH
      Participant

I really love this combo but my rig is only 12′ and can’t squeeze in the cartwheel. 🥲
      It’s still one of my favorites so far!
      Thanks!

Yvan
      Participant

Thanks a lot for allowing me to do this month’s choreo on the rope (the red rope is my first rope! which arrived a couple of days ago ❤️). My floating rib is a lot happier 🙂. This was probably one of the most technically challenging sequences of the last two years. I loved training for it and I added a small bonus at the end 🙃🎉. Thanks a lot! ❤️🎉

Yvan
      Participant
      Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

Logged In Homepage

Ok, this is embarrassing, but this is where I am 🤷🏼‍♀️ As much as I love the bucking bronco ending, that’s not how Brett did it! 🤣 I’m just not “feeling” it at all. Can anyone help… after your done laughing of course 💁🏼‍♀️

Silks Stars Team

HI Jill-
        Mind to re post your video? I don’t think that is the correct link.

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
        Participant

Yes, not sure what I did! 😂 Sorry! Not sure what I’m doing here either! 😂😂🤣 https://www.silksstars.com/community/jill-b-lovin-aerial/media/2830/

Silks Stars Team

Hi Again!
        Ok, got it. Looks to me like you need more powerful beats to the right (meaning feet to left, torso to right), then keep legs super straight on the cartwheel. Yours are bending which pulls weight away from the pole. Does that make sense? Let us know!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
        Participant

That totally makes sense! Thank you so very much for the advice! I must take a break now and prepare for the hurricane but if this blows over… No pun intended, 🤣 quickly I’ll get right back on it!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
        Participant

The more I think about it while I’m grabbing things and stashing them in the middle of my family room in my garage lol the more I realize exactly what you’re saying! I was really focusing on beats to the right and wasn’t thinking at all about my beats to the left! Hope I get a chance to get back on the Silks soon! Thanks again! You guys sure do make it super exciting to learn new things! Now get this hurricane out of my way lol

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
        Participant

OK, I think I said that backwards, but you know what I mean! I’m voice texting with one hand and grabbing things with the other. I should really focus on just one thing for now lol

Silks Stars Team

LOL- yes!!!!! Good luck with it all!!!

Beatrice
      Participant

Hello! Unfortunately I won’t get another chance to come into the studio so am uploading my not very polished latest attempt!

I really enjoyed this combo and want to keep working on it, so was wondering if for a future month it would be possible for me to submit another attempt (but for the full rig version) for feedback instead of the normal challenge? Thank you!

Manon
      Participant

I have a question regarding the ground workout. Every single time I do the spider straddle, the yoga block under my right leg always gets tilted. Why ???
      https://www.silksstars.com/community/manon/media/2854/

Robin
      Participant

Hi all! I didn’t manage to totally catch the pole but it feels possible now! Here’s my submission at this stage. https://www.silksstars.com/community/robin/media/2839/

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.