September 2021

Forums Monthly Challenges September 2021

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      Silks Stars Team

Option 1: Kimono Split to Body Belay
      Option 2: Vertical Twist to Body Belay (mini-rig)
      Share your comments, questions, and work from this monthā€™s combination below!

Kary
      Participant

šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘

Need help figuring out how to not crash to the ground turning into belay. Dana does it so gracefully, and I would love to look less like an elephant šŸ˜ šŸ¤£

<ahref=”https://www.silksstars.com/community/the-heather-feather/media/1454/”&gt;

Silks Stars Team

This is coming along great Heather! Try sinking a bit lower in your birds nest and keep your left hand on the pole as you release and control the leg off the pole. Then hold yourself in the belay for a moment before releasing the left hand and turning into the knee drop. Keep up the good work!

So, I’ve figured out 2 things about body belay… the first is that where you hold the tails is extremely important! I originally had them behind my shoulder, and as such, had no control in the turn. The second is that holding them as Dana does in the ‘inspiration’ video helps smooth out the clunkiness of releasing the left leg after birds nest. Posting here incase anyone else had the same challenges I had!

<ahref=”https://www.silksstars.com/community/the-heather-feather/media/1456/”&gt;

Silks Stars Team

Hi Heather! Would you mind to post this again? We are having trouble viewing it.

Silks Stars Team

Looks great, thank you for sharing your process!!!

Megup26
      Participant

I’m liking it so far! I think I need to trust that my leg can go up into the stirrup without needing to bend it (Minute 0:07). I am also having a little trouble with sneaking the knee at minute 0:50. Any tips for the aforementioned or anything else?

Sept Training #1.5

Silks Stars Team

Really great start Megan! Yes, getting the leg into the stirrup without bending the knee can be a challenge. It may be helpful to just practice that part low to the ground first so you can drill it, keeping that leg straight before practicing it high. In your video at :50secs it will be easier to sneak the knee through if you keep both feet on longer and turn your hips towards the floor first, before taking the foot off and sneaking that knee through. Good job!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/jill-b-lovin-aerial/media/1458/

THIS IS SO FUN!!! šŸ¤© So Iā€™m working on the mini rig version hoping to get more brave by the end of the month, but Iā€™m struggling with the transition from the birds nest to the belay. I know itā€™s low and hard to see, but I donā€™t feel in control so I donā€™t want to take it up higher until I can manage whatever it is that Iā€™m missing. Thanks Iā€™m advance for the help! šŸ˜˜

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
        Participant

Also, any tips for improvement on all parts would be welcomed and appreciated! šŸ˜

Silks Stars Team

Hi Jill! You are doing great! Really the only thing is practice practice practice! Keep drilling that transition, and it will feel more secure soon. Keep up there good work!

Helene
      Participant

Hi !
      I really like the choreo! This is where I got so far… I am struggling to make the slack slide/drop smooth, any tips on that and overall advices?

Thank you šŸ™‚

Silks Stars Team

Awesome work so far! Your slack slide looks great, keep drilling it. Think about squeezing/holding stability in your core and hamstrings/knee, and practice releasing with the hands a little more/faster each time. Keep up the good work!

Manon
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/manon/media/1461/

Here is my first successful attempt at the mini rig version! I am having a hard time doing the inversion, do you have any tips? If you have any other comments or suggestions, please let me know!

Silks Stars Team

Hi Manon! Looking great! Thinking the struggle with the inversion is that the wrap is tight. Try pulling a little more slack in the fabric that goes over your shoulder, and keeping your wrapped standing leg super straight as you bring the pole behind you. Let us know how it goes!

Manon
      Participant

I could not watch the September Live Q&A. Where and/or how can I watch the recording ?

susi
      Participant

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CT9FnfwBXI7/?utm_medium=copy_link Hi! Here it is the mini rig version…and yes I tried to put the kimono split routine into 14th feet studio height šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ Regarding mini rig version I was struggling a lot releasing that footlocker, I tried e different footlocker and go back to figure 8 šŸ˜… It’s almost smooth ah ah waiting and thanking you for feedback. Sending love for this aerial community ā¤

Silks Stars Team

Hi Susi!
        Looks like our previous reply did not go through, so sorry about that! This is looking wonderful! After the birds nest, try holding the tail closer to your body, thinking that will help smooth out the turn drop to knee hang. Looking great!

susi
        Participant

Oh I’m sorry just now I saw this! I will review my video paying atention to this point! Thank You! But I”m not really sure if i will had the chance to have “the studio for me” before the end of the month…anyway I’m taking this cue for me šŸ™‚ I’m so happy I’ve joined Silks Stars it’s hard to believe it makes one year already! šŸ™‚ šŸ™‚ šŸ™‚ I can’t thank you enough! Sending love and gratitude!

Silks Stars Team

You are so welcome, we are so lucky to have you!!!

susi
      Participant

Hi! Thanks! I will! šŸ˜ƒšŸ˜ƒšŸ˜ƒ

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/jill-b-lovin-aerial/media/1472/
      In the mini rig version, I am getting a lot of slack behind my back on the vertical split which then causes me to loose a lot of height. How can I improve this? Any other suggestions for improvements would be wonderful too! Thanks! šŸ˜ƒ

Silks Stars Team

Hi Jill! It looks like you have a slight lean to the left, after youā€™ve pulled the slack fabric behind your back. Perhaps this is causing the extra portion. Try to keep upright and only pull as much fabric as needed to loop it over your shoulder. Let us know how it goes! Great work, by the way!

Any tips for cleaning this up? I felt awkward ending on the ground, so did a weird front walkover out of the elbow hang… any feedback would be so greatly appreciated!

https://www.silksstars.com/community/the-heather-feather/media/1465/

Silks Stars Team

Hi Heather! This is great so far!!! Love the walkover exit! Itā€™s very clean, only thing I would say is remember to stand directly under the point when you begin climbing, so you donā€™t swing. In terms of artistry and drama, maybe play with your music a little bit more? Nice work!

Thanks! I always seem to swing even though I start right under the rigging point… I think I hang too much when I bring my legs up! I’ll keep working on it šŸ™‚
        I’ve posted my final attempt to my profile- we’ve got about 200mm of rain forecasted for the next week so I’m outta time!

Helene
      Participant

Hi!

I think I posted this message in the wrong place because I can’t find it anymorešŸ˜
      So here it is again: I feel I ve hit a plateau in training the choreo, I can’t seem to improving it anymore. Would you have any advices?
      Thank you for your support!

Silks Stars Team

Hi Helene!
        Very good work. Everything is in order, youā€™ve got all the wraps, drops and transitions pretty clean. Think about your extremities ( knees, feet, toes ) how can those details be even more specific. To take it to the next level, try setting the choreo to a song. See where you can ā€œdanceā€ through some of the shapes and transitions. Really nice work so far!

Helene
        Participant
          Thank you for your helpful advices!!
      susi
      Participant

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4671122822931914&id=100001027263012 Getting that first straight position… it took me a while before I could record one version without someone crossing in front of my camera šŸ™„šŸ™ˆ Then the camera run out of battery and I record myself with my phone listening the song on my mind šŸ¤£šŸ˜…

Silks Stars Team

Very nice Susi! I can see your progress. Great improvements and style!

tguthrie
      Participant

I had a chance to work on the mini rig sequence again the other day and I think it’s getting smoother. I’ve found that it’s easier for me to take off the footlock if I use a half lock instead of a figure 8, though I’m still working on making that part more graceful. The main thing I’m struggling with (besides the transition to the vertical split, but that’s mostly a flexibility issue) is getting stuck and needing to adjust/pull more slack after putting the tail over my right shoulder as I drop back before threading through and inverting. I know the answer to this is “use more slack” but is there a good way to make sure I have enough without needing to adjust? Thanks!

Also–I’ve been having a problem where I try to post in the thread, but my post never actually shows up even though the thing at the top says it was last updated by me, so I’m not sure if anyone can actually see what I post. I’m not sure if anyone else has been having this issue, but if you see me posting the same thing multiple times that’s why šŸ™‚

tguthrie
        Participant
        Silks Stars Team

Hi there! Very nice! Re- enough slack, try to lean slightly toward your standing leg when pulling the slack from hand to hand behind your back. Let us know how that goes.
        Re- your posts, your last one was set to “hidden”. We are able to view it in the “hidden” thread. This one was public, so it’s viewable in the community.

tguthrie
        Participant

Thatā€™s so weird, I have no idea how it could have gotten set to hidden, it definitely wasnā€™t on purpose. Good to know Iā€™m not shouting into the void if it ever happens again though.

I was able to work on it again yesterday and try out your advice. I still needed a little adjustment but itā€™s definitely improving! Plus I was having a good hip day so I was finally able to turn into the vertical split. Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™ll be able to work on it some more before the end of the month since I have a busy week ahead, but hereā€™s my third (and probably final) take: https://www.silksstars.com/community/tguthrie/media/1484/

Silks Stars Team

Wonderful progress, and way to rock that vertical split!!!

Caro
      Participant

Hi team. So good – I’m back on the silks after our lockdown. I sure did notice the forearms and grip strength but it’s already beginning to come back. I’ve had a go at this month’s challenge and I would love some general feedback, and also any tips on 1. The bit after you remove the footlock and before the drop where you scoop the leg under the silk and hook it round for the drop feeling less awkward (it’s the way both legs are on one side of the silk that feels odd) 2. the drop – is it a drop? Or is it a controlled slide? Do we let go – and what bits do we let go of? 3. after the drop when you take the hooked leg off and as you straddle and twist the whole body back to crochet your leg – it feels precarious and awkward, not well balanced – any tips here? Thanks šŸ™‚ https://www.silksstars.com/community/caro/media/

Silks Stars Team

Hi Caro, so glad you are back!
        1. Think about rotating your hips more towards the ground, before removing the top leg to hook the knee.
        2. It is a controlled slide, but with enough practice and control it can be a drop! Let go slightly/simultaneously with each hand and the foot on the pole.
        3. Think about making it into a larger windshield wiper moment. Extend the legs straight side and then up, then hook.

Let us know how it goes, great work!

Janice
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/janice/media/1475/

Itā€™s been a busy month so tonight was my first time to try the mini-rig challenge. But believe meā€¦.. several nights before this, my mind already started training. I was watching Daraā€™s demo over and over and over. This beautiful sequence required so much memory work – which leg to weave, which leg to hook, which hand will grab šŸ™‚ My favorite is the first part when we make that dancer-like crucifix figure. See my video. Please coach me on how to improve this. Thanks.

Silks Stars Team

Wonderful so far, Janice! Continue to refine the stretch through your knees and feet throughout. On the turn to knee hang at the end, you can play with placing both hands on the tail with just the foot holding on in the birds nest to smooth that part out. Keep up the good work!

Janice
        Participant

Thanks for these advices. Iā€™ll be working on these.

Jenny
      Participant

Hi guys. Here’s a practise run…would love some tips …I am wondering if I can figure out a way to make th drop more of a surprise/dynamic. Any thoughts on that?
      https://i0.wp.com/www.silksstars.com/wp-content/uploads/rtMedia/users/154/2021/09/1632526809-img-0542_2.jpg?w=580&ssl=1

Silks Stars Team

Hi Jenny! Looking good! In order to make the drop/slide more dynamic, blend the three actions. Dropping the hips, sliding both hands down, inverting-leaning to the side to gazelle. The faster you do all three motions it will become more of a dramatic/surprise moment. Keep it up!

Rbatignani
      Participant

So sad that I am out of time to continue playing with this! I feel like I was really starting to connect all the pieces. Here is my routine: https://www.silksstars.com/community/rbatignani/media/1483/

3rinnhicks
      Participant

I’d already learned this one before, so I experimented with new pathways into the same wrap. Here’s a seated entrance that makes it easier to add a spin šŸ™‚ Also, I found I prefer putting the leg wrap on while upright before sliding down. Thanks for sharing such a fun sequence!
      https://www.silksstars.com/community/3rinnhicks/media/1494/

Yvan
      Participant

Dears! I had no access to a point the last month and therefore I am just starting to work on the sequence. I enclose my best attempt from yesterday. All tips are VERY welcome. I did notice that I am having some issues at the beginning of the choreo to keep the tail around my shoulder. The moment I lift my arm it sometimes slides down, which breaks the flow when it happens. Any advice to correct that? Thanks a lot A LOT!
      Yvan

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/1514/

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Yvan.
        Silks Stars Team

Hi Yvan! Nice to have you back. This looks great! Honestly, if you didn’t point out the teeny bit of sliding I wouldn’t have noticed. You can try to wear a sleeveless shirt? Great work so far!

Silks Stars Team

Hi Yvan! Nice to have you back. This looks great! Honestly, if you didn’t point out the teeny bit of sliding I wouldn’t have noticed. You can try to wear a sleeveless shirt? Great work so far!

Yvan
        Participant

Thanks a lot! šŸ™ I did multiple recordings today with different outfits and it was still sliding a bit but to manageable levels. The studio was quite crowded so my best recording is still the one from yesterday though, which now becomes my final submission. Apologies in advance for the quality of the audioā€¦ my iPad was next to an open window. Have a great day!

Tanya.Campos
      Participant

Hi Brett and Rachel! Here’s my attempt at the challenge. Silk tail was a bit short to do an overhead grab for the bird’s nest so just did a variation. Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thank you so much!šŸ˜Šā¤
      https://www.silksstars.com/community/tanya-campos/media/1519/

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Tanya.Campos.
      • This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Tanya.Campos.
        Silks Stars Team

Hi Tanya! The variation you used works really well! The only thing I would say is keep working the stability in that first standing position, the part where the fabric is taken behind the back, after the first rotation. Keep up the good work!

Tanya.Campos
        Participant

Thank you so much, Brett and Rachel!šŸ˜ā¤

Auriol
      Participant

I’m having trouble fully uploading my video (it says the file is converting for hours) is anyone else having this issue?

Auriol
        Participant

In case it doesn’t upload properly, here’s a Vimeo link:

Dorag
        Participant

Hi! I have the same issue. It seems the problem is viewing some videos on the phone. They are watchable on my computer.

Silks Stars Team

Thanks Dora, just letting you know we can see your vid (we do reviews on computer), will be reviewing shortly!

Silks Stars Team

Hi! Sometimes our system struggles with 4K videos which is why it says ā€˜still convertingā€™ and why there isnā€™t a thumbnail. BUT we are able to still watch your videos from our end so itā€™s not an issue for us for doing reviews. We will let you know if for some reason we canā€™t see your video while we are reviewing. A little tip for making uploading easier (and for saving storage space on your phone) is to go to your Settings in your phone, then scroll down to Camera, and switch to record your videos in 1080p. Sorry for this inconvenience!

Auriol
        Participant

@silksstarsteam not sure if you guys saw this. Not sure if my video ever fully compiled. I tried multiple times yesterday. I posted a Vimeo link here and in the comments of my Video, so hope that’s ok! Sorry!

Silks Stars Team

Hi Aurial, just letting you know we can see your vid on your page but thanks for uploading above as a back up!

I’m happy to have a decent submission for this month, even last minute due to life and this sequence being crazy. This one was definitely a challenge! I probably watched the video at least 30 times. At first, I was having a hard time getting the loop around my waist and right foot in the split from being too large, and my foot kept slipping, but I finally figured that out. Then, I couldn’t get my right leg out smoothly when switching to the left foot in the back loop. I finally received my brand new silks and I swear these stretchy purple beauties made all the difference! Maybe it’s in my head but that’s how it felt because this combo really clicked for me tonight. I wish I was in control of the music in the gym, but I’m very happy other than that! September Submission

Caro
      Participant

Hi there. Same as Auriol, my video https://www.silksstars.com/community/caro/media/1547/ is uploaded but almost a day later it’s still converting? Let me know if I need to upload again if you can’t view. Thanks.

Silks Stars Team

Hi Caro, just letting you know we can see your video on your page, thanks!

Silks Stars Team

Sometimes our system struggles with 4K videos which is why it says ā€˜still convertingā€™ and why there isnā€™t a thumbnail. BUT we are able to still watch your videos from our end so itā€™s not an issue for us for doing reviews. We will let you know if for some reason we canā€™t see your video while we are reviewing. A little tip for making uploading easier (and for saving storage space on your phone) is to go to your Settings in your phone, then scroll down to Camera, and switch to record your videos in 1080p. Sorry for this inconvenience!

Silks Stars Team

Hi There! This is coming along really well! Just keep working that super straight standing leg in the beginning, extend those feet, and keep drilling your transitions. Keep up the good work!

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.