September 2020

Forums Monthly Challenges September 2020

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • Author
      Silks Stars Team

Are there parts of this month’s combination that you are struggling with? Share your questions below!

cwmacy
      Participant

My height is limited, so I was wondering if I could tie the cartwheel at the end of a single star drop. I reviewed both videos and it seems like both the single and double star ends with a leg and belly wrap. Ideas?

Shirleyaerialist
      Participant

Yup it’s possible, you hold on to the tail and thread through your free leg (the only without the thigh wrap) , and keep tension on the tail as your salto.

HaleneW
      Participant

I, too, am a bit worried about rig height. What is the lowest height you recommend trying this safely from? (I guess both aerialist starting height in silks, and rig height). Thanks!

Silks Stars Team

Hi guys, good questions! The amount of height you need for the double star really depends on how tall you are as well as the circumference of your waist. Some can have no issue doing a double star at 14ft where others may not be able to. We know that some of you only have access to mini rigs right now, so we will be accepting single star drops into the cartwheel for your monthly submissions as well. Shirley is correct, you can sit up and thread the free leg through, while holding the tail to complete the cartwheel after a single star. We will be going over that variation and going over how to safety ‘walk down’ the double star at the live Q&A on Sept 12th… the replay will be available if you can’t make it live!

thelostgeek
      Participant

Same question here! Would love to have a walkthrough about variation for low height, can’t wait to have the replay ready (I don’t think I can be attending live as it will be 2am my time, LOL).

Silks Stars Team

The video replay of the Q&A/coaching session will be available right after the session ends here (scroll down and click the ‘September Q & A session’) the password to access it is: DoubleStar 🙂

stephlgk
      Participant

I can’t figure out how to “sign up” for the first Q/A to get the password. It says click the green button but there is no green button. Opened it in crowdcast, thinking I register there as I’ve done that before, and it requires the password. help!

stephlgk
      Participant

Ignore! It was in an email. I’m signed up for a lot of aerial/circus things at once so am getting lost in all the emails!

Silks Stars Team

No problem! The password is DoubleStar (for those who haven’t registered yet!), see you on Saturday!

AmyFlory
      Participant

Tips needed for 2 issues: 1. my lower leg wrap seems really tight after bringing the right leg through for the s-wrap and takes longer to drop it off than I’d like (longer than I can hold, truth be told 🤨); am I wrapping too tight? or maybe losing height with my arms? 2. How to smoothly separate the silks for each hand just before the drop? Thanks!

Silks Stars Team

Thanks Amy, Brett will address those questions during Saturdays Q&A session.

AmyFlory
      Participant

Great!

Shirleyaerialist
      Participant

Spent a few sessions on this, nothing very fancy added but I did really enjoy working on this ! Hoping I get some stars for this haha

Still thinking of redoing (maybe) …. but here it is !

Sept challenge – Shirley

Silks Stars Team

Nice work Shirley! Combo looks great, check out todays Q and A for some extra tips that might help you decide if you want to have another go at it. Great work!

Shirleyaerialist
      Participant

Yes I will! Waiting for replay due to time difference :p heh

Kaity
      Participant

I plan to work on this some more, and try to line up with my music a bit better, but this is a fun combo! 🙂

September Challenge – Kaity

Janice
      Participant

Hi. My ceiling height is only 12ft. So my Silks are probably just 11ft. So I can only do Single Star. Here’s a video. It actually took time for me to learn the cartwheel. It’s still not perfect… needs more practice.

Janice- Sept challenge

Silks Stars Team

Lovely musicality Janice! Keep working on straightening those knees in the invert. Good effort!

Janice
        Participant

Thanks for your feedback. Keeping my legs straight is really my problem. Are there conditioning exercises focused on fixing this? I’d appreciate tips on how to keep my knees locked.

Silks Stars Team

Check out Brett’s ‘Star Core’ workout class on the September Challenge page, the more you can strengthen the core core the easier it will be to invert with straight knees.

TokyoRose
      Participant

Hi, I’m having trouble with doing the salto multiple times. It cinches really tightly around the crotch area after the first cartwheel and hurts so bad. Any advice would be amazing. Mahalo!

Silks Stars Team

Hi! You can try wrapping the leg just an inch further down the leg (towards the knee) when wrapping the double star. Sometimes that little adjustment makes a big difference. Also try to push your pelvis all the way forwards when prepping the cartwheel, as well as try to land the cartwheel with your hips pushed forwards as well with your toes towards the ground as if you’re standing up in the air. If you land in a sitting position (pike at the hips) then it hurts a lot more to go for a second rotation from there as the knot squeezes tighter. It’s all about staying super extended (finish the rotation so you’re basically hugging the pole with your toes directly under you) to avoid synching.

KamilaK
      Participant

Hi guys, is there a link to learn continuous cart wheel only? I can’t find it. Thanks!

Silks Stars Team

Hi Kamila, Brett breaks down the Continuous Cartwheels during the September Challenge instruction. In terms of the action of the cartwheel (rotation, body positioning etc) check out the Single Salto Drop tutorial here for help with this
        You can also check out his break down of the single star into continuous cartwheels if you skim forwards to the second half of the live Q&A replay (September)

KamilaK
        Participant

Awesome, thank you. I knew I saw it somewhere but I lost track where lol

Jenny
      Participant

Hi there. I just deleted my first video of my September challenge in order to upload a new improved video but it says I have exceeded video uploads for September….Maybe I should try to upload version 2 here?

Silks Stars Team

Hi Jenny, sorry about that. Sometimes the website just needs a few minutes to register that you have deleted the original video. You should be good to upload your new and improved video to your profile now. Please let us know if you have any issues doing so. Thank you!

Jenny
      Participant

All good! I just had to leave the page and indeed give it a few minutes! Lol. New video is up. Thank you!

septembersilkstars2.mov

I’m pretty happy with how this went today 🙂 Hoping for more good weather to try again, but I’m happy with it so far if I don’t have the chance!

Kittie- September Silk Stars

Silks Stars Team

Awesome! Thanks for sharing Kitty!

I did have a chances to go back out, but I honestly like this first video best out of all of the ones I’ve taken! It feels the most… raw? I guess that’s the word I’m looking for haha. I think I’ll go out on my rig one ore time now, but this first video may be my entry for the month! Thank you guys for a great challenge!!! 😀

Yvan
      Participant

Hi! Fantastic videos! I just started preparing the challenge. Still working on some technical details:
      1. I am a bit injured in my back and I am experiencing some pain when the s-wrap is not low on my hip bone. So I decided to place it manually. Is that OK? (u can see the action in my video here: https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/
      Did it work? 🧐).
      2. In the continuous cartwheel, sometimes my genitals get on the way. I read above that pelvis extension throughout the movement and lower wrapping of the leg in the double star preparation helps with the pressure on the thigh. That’s not so much my issue but I will try that tomorrow again. Maybe you have some extra tips? Brett?
      Thanks a lot in advance!
      Yvan

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Yvan.
        Silks Stars Team

This is looking good Yvan! Yes that’s fine to adjust the s-wrap to your lower back. You did it quickly as well so it wasn’t that noticeable. For the continuous cartwheels, yes, try wrapping an inch lower on the leg. Also try pressing your hips forward and straightening both legs down towards the floor for a moment before leaning back and threading the leg through for the cartwheel. Little adjustments like that make a big difference in comfort, for men especially!

susi
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/susi/media/66/
      Hi! Oh well finally I got the time to practice and decided to join you all and be more active in this forum. I really don’t know how to share my video here, I just add it to my profile and tried to copy the link…. yeah, I know, I need a techno course to… help… 🙂

Silks Stars Team

Hi Suzi, yep you shared correctly, we can go to your profile to see your video 🙂

monica.xiong
      Participant

HALP!🙇‍♀️
      I have trouble completing a full rotation with drops that are dependent on “heel drive” despite the rotational motion being the same as a salto, which I have no trouble with. I haven’t been able to land completely upright without my hands grabbing for the pole after the single star. Some things (also mentioned in Brett and Rachel’s videos) that I found that help are: 1) Reaching as high up as possible to initiate the drop in a more upright position, 2) Wrapping the thigh really high, 3) (Attempting to) heel drive. Does anyone have any more advice for me? 🙏 Thanks in advance!
      The no bueno rotation

Silks Stars Team

Thanks for sharing Monica! Another tip that will help is to keep reaching outward with the top arm that lets go of the pole (Keep that arm in line with your head as you rotate. That will help keep carry the rotation around. Right now you are dropping that top arm down by your side right away and anticipating the grab at the end of the rotation. Try waiting longer and just focus on reaching out/extending as long as you can rather than thinking about grabbing the pole at the end.

monica.xiong
        Participant

Thank you so much for the tips!!! It’s definitely looking/feeling a bit better now. Looking forward to continue to improve it! 🙂

LauraDP
      Participant

hi! First time I do a single star in six months, I added the cartwheel and I thought it was easier, I must work on it! I also worked on s wrap entry (never did that nor double star), I think I’m not ready yet for double star, but today I’ve put my first brick.
      Super tired after a pole lesson,this is the best I could do today. I know I have to work on inversions, single star arrival (why my feet are so up in the air?) and cartwheel arrival… everything ahah
      Laura- monthly challenge september

Silks Stars Team

Thanks for sharing Laura and good work!!
        Yes sometimes my toes end up pretty high on the single star as well. I try to focus on driving my heels down towards the floor at the end but since it’s a short rotation sometimes the momentum carries them up 😉 -Brett

Caro
      Participant

Any hints for microbending? I notice that I’m often microbending as I invert mid-s-wrap. It’s that inversion transition that is tricky for me. Thanks.

AmyFlory
      Participant

September

Well, the usual self-criticism regarding bent legs etc, but I was super happy to do the double star for the first time today. I met my teacher at her rig, which is higher than what we have in the studio. She cheered me on and distracted me from the wind gusts—sorry, no cool music or really any musicality! Oh, and I’m wearing the awesome jumpsuit I won, from Aerialetics!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by AmyFlory.
        Silks Stars Team

Nice job Amy! 👏👏 Aaand the jumpsuit looks fab on you! 🤸

AmyFlory
        Participant

☺️ Thank you!

wookiemk
      Participant

Hi I just uploaded a video yesterday. Just making sure you got it. I may submit another depending on our weather 😊

Rachel
        Participant

Hi! Yes we see your video, thanks!

atiacay
      Participant

Is this where we upload our challenge videos? If so, here is mine(I think!). I was wary of the height, so I c-shaped the double star down. I was also very happy to work on my c-shaping for this this month!Challenge video

atiacay
        Participant

Sorry- that doesn’t look like it worked. Here’s take 2.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by atiacay.
        Silks Stars Team

Hi there! Please upload your video to your Silks Stars profile. We will be reviewing on Thursday! Thank you

TokyoRose
      Participant

Thank you for the tips and advice on the cartwheel. I was able to do it continuously without any pain! I tried several different things, but what helped me the most was to hold the silk taught by my side after the Double star. Really enjoyed practicing this one.

Cheers!
      -J

MelissaMW19
      Participant

Will we have access to the monthly video tutorials after the monthly challenge is over to keep working on the skills in our own time?? I love this entry to s-wrap and have not seen it anywhere else. I would like to continue working on perfecting it.

Silks Stars Team

Hi Melissa! Yes you will have access to all past months challenges as we move forward. Glad you are enjoying working on the combo!

Lena203
      Participant

Here is my video for Septe,ber challenge. Unfortunately I dont have the height to do a double star and I know my aerial inverts suck ;D but I really love drops, they give me butterlies. I will def try the double star as soon as I get my garden rig (next year, winter is coming now in Germany :(( )
      September Challenge Lena

Silks Stars Team

Thanks Lena! We will be reviewing your video and rewarding you stars tomorrow! Congratulations on completing your first Silks Stars submission!

wookiemk
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/wookiemk/media/

Here’s my September challenge video. Thanks for this fun opportunity!

Silks Stars Team

Awesome! We are looking forward to reviewing and awarding you stars!

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.