Outdoor aerial wear

Forums General Outdoor aerial wear

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      HaleneW
      Participant

Hey there! I am wondering about suggestions for outdoor practice wear, particularly long-sleeved shirts, for practicing warmly during fall/winter months. I am in Michigan, where the weather can be unpredictable, and I would like to see how long I can actually practice outside safely before it gets too cold/dangerous to do so, and I have to downsize my rig to bring it inside. Any ideas (preferably ones that are under $75, if possible)? Thanks!

Silks Stars Team

Hi Halene, thanks for your question. Wearing layers is probably your best bet for staying warm while training outside. Perhaps thermal long under wear like you would wear under ski clothing? You could wear these under fitted sweat pants and a fitted sweater? Socks would be a good idea also! I hope that helps, best of luck! ⛄️ 🎪- Rachel

HaleneW
        Participant

Those are really great ideas; I’ll look into them and see what works 🙂 I was also wondering about something like long-sleeved bike shirts. They seem like they would be stretchy, and warm enough to keep avid bikers warm in the chillier months…I may look into those as well. Thanks for the suggestions!

Gretchen
      Participant

Fleece lined leggings! Athleta makes good ones but they can be on the spendier side. I’m sure there are plenty others that are cheaper. And also, I like grippy socks to keep my feet warm.

My follow-up question to yours is: Are you having issues with grip in the cooler temps? It seems like even with rosin spray, I can hardly grip my silks. Maybe I need to switch to powder rosin?

HaleneW
        Participant

Thanks for the suggestion…I’ll look into the fleece-lined leggings 🙂 I haven’t been practicing when it’s been too cool yet (mostly because the cooler weather comes with rain (like the last two days)). I have noticed in the past cooler months some issues with grip, though, and was wondering what to do about that, too. The thought of trying to figure out a glove situation has crossed my mind, but it’s probably safer not to. I’ll pay closer attention to my grip with the rosin spray and let you know if I’m having a similar issue with it.

HaleneW
        Participant

Hey again, Gretchen 🙂
        So I recorded my challenge on Halloween when it was under 50 degrees in Michigan (haven’t been too many warm or dry weather days this month for me). I noticed that my hands didn’t get as sticky with the spray rosin until I warmed them up a bit, but that was short lasting. I’ve notice in the past (not while doing silks) that my fingers have gotten too cold to grip things well (I’m taking into consideration for safety on silks). We have a couple of warmer days coming up this week, so this month’s challenge might be a weekly challenge for me…rig probably will have to lose some height and come into the house soon 🙁 Let me know if you figure anything out in terms of something that gives you better grip in lower temps 🙂

Gretchen
        Participant

Hi Halene!
        I already took my rig down for the season, but luckily the studio I go to is open (fingers crossed it stays open all winter with rising cases in the Midwest!). I saw someone on Instagram post a video of herself doing a hands-only climb with gloves on. I asked which ones they were, and she said they’re Burton power stretch liner gloves. They have grippy material all over the fingers & palms, and she said they work great. Perhaps a pair of those can help you stay training outside for a little longer! Best of luck!😊

HaleneW
        Participant

Thanks for letting me know about the gloves! I’ll look into them. It’s been consistently cold and windy over here, so I’m pretty sure that my rig will also be coming down soon 🙁 Hopefully you can continue to practice safely at your studio! I’ve got to figure out my options for safe fly time 🙂

SarahT
      Participant

I’ve cut a hole in the crotch of old leggings, and worn them like a sweater to reduce extra fabric around my waist where it gets tangled.

HaleneW
        Participant

That’s an idea 🙂 I can only imagine how glorious that would be with fleece-lined leggings….might have to try this 😀 Thanks for the suggestion!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.