May 2024

Forums Monthly Challenges May 2024

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Silks Stars Team

One Arm Handstand to Triangle Split Roll Out and One Arm Handstand to Triangle Split Push Out (mini rig). Post your questions, comments and work below!

Yvan
      Participant

Gorgeous! 🤩

robpippi
      Participant

Wow! I know before try that I Will be stuck in the crochet without the help of the arms blocking the tails… I Will slide. Any suggestion about this basic skill?

Silks Stars Team

The legs should be able to add some hold for the tails. Will add to the Q&A list and see what options Brett has!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/jill-b-lovin-aerial/media/4579/
      Is this the same muscle/ability as the hip key roll up? I have yet to achieve a back balance, so is there a progression I can work on? I’m willing to work HARD EVERY day! Thanks! Ps- this Charley is already AH-MAZING! I don’t know how you keep coming up with new and exciting challenges, but THANK YOU!

Silks Stars Team

Good question. Will add to the Q&A. Based on Danica’s question below, it may be back balance with a twist, so asking about the potential similarities to hip key roll up (think C shaping drills of that back shape) is a good thought.

Danica.Liu
      Participant

What a fun challenge! Similar to Jill, my question is about the back balance. I have no problem with an unwrapped back balance but this one I’m finding it tricky keeping my top hip braced against the silk, keeping my chest up and allowing my other hand to get to my ear to balance it out. Any tips? I have a short torso if that helps lol

Silks Stars Team

Great point, the difference between this shape and the unwrapped back balance is most likely a fussy detail! Will add to the Q&A list.

Danica.Liu
        Participant

I have noticed when I practice entering it from the roll up (I practice without the handstand, as the handstand can be hard on my wrist after a while) I get more into the correct position, so not sure if the rotation helps? Still precarious on the balance though, so not confident enough to get the tail behind my leg.

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

Does the bottom arm push in to that loop to help get in the back balance?

Cathy
      Participant

For the back balance, I found that if I let go of the loop I have more freedom to roll up into the right position to achieve the balance. I think its releasing the tension that allows the knot to shift around my hip that’s helping. So my question is, if this is working and I’m not falling out of it, is it okay? If not, any other tips would help. Thanks.

Silks Stars Team

Here is a special video tutorial from Brett with tips/notes for this month’s challenge (we recommend watching this on your phone versus computer as videos posted in the forum are huge lol):

ncupps
        Participant

Very helpful interim tutorial – thank you!!!

Danica.Liu
        Participant

Thank you!

Cathy
        Participant

Thank you! That video answered my questions perfectly.

MollyC
        Participant

Thank you for this!

Janice
        Participant

Thanks for the time for making this video. Very very helpful! Thanks

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by Janice.
        Jenny
        Participant

OMG Brett! Much to my relief, I just hopped on here and found your tutorial. I was about to tell you that the back balance is really not accessible for me…I don’t know why….my back is not super bendy. I have never been good with the back balance. I was about to ask for alternatives cause I do like this combo but it felt way above my pay grade! happy to keep working on it now 🙂

ncupps
      Participant

1. One Arm Handstand Issues:
      (i) A solid portion of my weight is in the arm holding the pole (although, you will see other videos where I am “testing” letting go). I can’t seem to find where the balance points are (yet). How do you balance the weight? Is it truly in just the left arm? Or is part of the weight balanced from the “front” leg pushing against the silk? (see video)
      (ii) Feeling “bottom” heavy and getting out of alignment. Also, sometimes the left leg dips too far down and creates an “off balance” feel. It seems like I am not straight up and down. In this video, you will see that I tried to correct it by pushing my pelvis forward and squeezing my butt, but I still feel like I am at an angle vs. a perfect 180.
      (iii) The left side tail is popping off the one arm handstand – should it? This was my 3rd full run through (~0:10), so still a mess, but can show the issue.

2. Back Balance Issues:
      (i) I am getting “thrown out” of the back balance. At one point in the video, you will see I am “fighting” to get back into the correct position. How do I stay in that position long enough to swing the tail behind me?
      (ii) I tried to create a modification where I pull out the looped hand much earlier to adjust into the back balance (see video ~0:38). I *think* this is safe because it is tight and I have done it a couple of times now. But, it is a “handsy” modification. I could choreograph that in, so you can’t tell, but any other ideas?

3. Triangle Split: My triangle (~1:16) looks like isosceles. Yours is more equilateral. I am fighting just for an isosceles. Maybe this is a flexibility issue? Or something else?

4. Rib Cinch: I don’t know if my boobs caught me or you can actually “fall out” of this, but it scared me the first time. Does it have too much slack? Or can you actually fall out?

Of note, I worked on controlling the exit in the “3rd full run through video” this time. Thanks for that feedback from last month’s video. I think a controlled exit looks MUCH better. I think that is it now. LOL. I won’t be able to attend the live Q&A session, but I will watch the replay.

Thanks SO much!
      nc 🙂

Videos sent via email / Dropbox (I cannot get the site to allow video links from Dropbox or YouTube)

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

Video is INCREDIBLY AWESOME!!!! Thank you for always going the extra mile to help us!!!

Robin
      Participant

Hello! My video uploads keep failing just near the end of uploading. https://youtu.be/lEZhlW2N0Tc?si=919oUX4poKHbT_Oc
      I struggle with back balance and had to adapt the transition to triangle splits because I seemed to tip out if I tried to lift the tail over my head. Weird. Perhaps it’s similar to hip lock roll up in that some body shapes must work harder and differently to others. But struggling with this may even help with roll ups…?… it’s fun, anyway !

Silks Stars Team

Have you checked out the extra video above from Brett? Your questions sound similar to the ones above and it may be helpful!

Robin
        Participant

Thanks, and sorry I’d missed that! I read Brett’s mind for the transition! Also, I now enjoy my accidental discovery of a “training wheel” option for the back balance (until I can do the actual thing.)

Silks Stars Team

Great minds think alike! And hooray for a ‘training wheels’ option!
        Your above question is for sure on the Q&A list <3

Danica.Liu
      Participant

This might be a daft question, but when letting go of the other tail in the handstand to pivot up, I find this more terrifying than the handstand itself 😂 any tips on how to let go without losing both? I’ve done it low and it seems like a trust thing that the pole will be there but as I train outside I think the unpredictability of the wind is a bit unsettling with the idea of letting go…..

Silks Stars Team

Good question, will add to the list. Until then, check out the walk through of the mini rig video. It catches a great angle of Brett’s hand in that moment!

Yvan
      Participant

Hi lovely silksstars beings!
      I believe I found a much easier pathway into and out of the back balance. Hope it helps 😃❤️
      Yvan

https://www.instagram.com/stories/yvan.vertigo/3364156689161048991?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igsh=NDQ1N3ExdnRpZzNz

Silks Stars Team

Very fun! Thank you for sharing!

Janice
        Participant

I am learning from your video. Thanks for this, Yvan.

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
        Participant

I see people are learning from Yvan and I would like to try too, but when I click on the link, it says it’s no longer there. Can anyone help me? This girl is needin’ some help! 😂

Yvan
        Participant

I just reposted the video on my silksstars profile. I hope it helps ❤️

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/4600/

robpippi
      Participant

Thank you!!!

ncupps
      Participant

In the event this helps others, I realized that wearing a ponytail in my hair makes the one arm handstand much harder (because I keep losing the “head-tail” tension. When I take out the ponytail, it’s much easier to keep the tension on the tail in one arm handstand.

uberannie
      Participant

Hi guys, thanks for another spicy challenge 🌶️ When releasing a silk from single arm handstand to loop under my leg I keep releasing the wrong one. Would love any tips on making sure I keep the correct silk in my hand 😀 Back balances have been one of my nemesis skills for a long time! Would love any drills to work on these, you make them look so effortless!

• This reply was modified 3 days, 1 hour ago by uberannie.
      Dorag
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/dorag/media/4601/
      Can anybody see what am I doing wrong? I can’t get into the back balance, i.e. cannot bring the free silk infront of my right leg without tipping out of the position.
      I would also like to work on achieving the unwrapped back balance if there are some exercises.

Silks Stars Team

Hello! You are definitely on the path! Will add the question to the Q&A list. Until then, one concept that may help is if you want to remove weight/work from one point of contact, that work has to be transferred to another place of part of the body. Legs/hips/core connection are a great place to check in always when things aren’t quite aligning.

Silks Stars Team

Great questions! Will add them to the list.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.