May 2022

Forums Monthly Challenges May 2022

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      Silks Stars Team

Option 1: Salto Catch to Single Knee Belay
      Option 2: (mini-rig) Single Leg Belay to Faux Flag
      Share your comments, questions, and work from this month’s combination below!

Caro
      Participant

You sure know how to create a great combo and new flow Brett! Love it.

Jenny
      Participant

What a super cool combo Brett! I can’t wait to start working on it. This will hopefully be an opportunity to work on some creative/elegant ways out of knee belay. I often find myself stumped on a good way out without feeling like a klutz! LOL….In search of good ways out of single knee belay everybody:)

Dorag
        Participant

Maybe the faux flag from the mini rig version could be added as a nice way to get out of the belay?

Jenny
        Participant

yes good idea Dora!

Janice
      Participant

I am excited to start training for this. I like the salto exit then tadah.. surprise belay. The shoulder support ground workout looks cool… and essential for all of us. Thanks Brett. I am so happy to see you do the demos and the inspiration video for this May challenge 🙂

Yvan
      Participant

Today I went for the advanced version… easy to free fall from it! Stay safe!
      Somehow I keep forgetting where my left is when in the skin the cat and always end up twisting to the wrong side 🙆🏻‍♂️😂

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/2395/

Cathy
      Participant

When I pick up the silk with my left leg I can’t seem to get it high enough on my thigh to get a clean wrap before the invert. I have to sink down to get everything into place for a snug wrap before inverting. I lose a lot of height because of it. Any tips on getting the silk higher on my leg before the wrap?

Silks Stars Team

Hi Cathy- post a video so we have a visual?

Silks Stars Team

Cathy- stay all the way pulled up and really scoop and circle the left leg back to wrap it. It takes strength to maintain the pull up there but it’s essential to stay pulled up while wrapping or you’ll lose height.

Karenvferreirac
        Participant

Thanks for the tips, I’m on the same boat of sliding down a lot and not being able to catch that silk high enough on the left leg,for some reason I go into inverting straight after attempting to catch the silk with the left leg (bad habits I suppose) will keep these tips in mind!

Cathy
        Participant

Thanks I will try that!

Manon
        Participant

I’m in the same boat as Cathy.

Cutsi
      Participant

Hi, I have been trying the mini-rig challenge and I run in to an issue with the shape right before the skin the cat for the belay (the one where you are supposed to leave your booty behind).
      I can’t release my hands because I keep sliding down, I never seem to stop at all. Is there any tip to stay on that shape?

Silks Stars Team

Hi! Would you be able to post a video so we have a visual?

Silks Stars Team

Hi!
      Make sure to wear non slippery clothing, and use a non slippery silk. Also be sure to rig your silk so you have extra tail on the ground. If the silk is too short, the position won’t be secure if you’re close to the ground. Worse case you can hold the tail there with one hand while in the knee hang shape to avoid sliding.

Ogie
      Participant

Hi Brett, Great dynamic combo, love it! hope to see more of these! Question for Q&A, the non slippery cotton clothing that you advised works so well, that the tail will not slide over my leg to my thigh in the full combo before I invert in straddle. Tips? (please let me know if it is not ok to use screenshot for clarity).

sliding

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Ogie.
        Silks Stars Team

Ogie, try facing the right knee that’s bent until the tails settle, and then really scoop the left hip back, almost like you’re going to do an arabesque with it in order to pick up the tail higher up on the left leg. Once you catch the tail you can tilt the pelvis forward to help the tail slide up the left leg further. Will go over this motion more at the live Q&A on Tuesday.

Ogie
        Participant

Great cues, thanks, will try today!

Ogie
      Participant

Has been asked, but I will ask again. In the mini rig version I have difficulty to release both hands in this pose, I slide. I have cotton legging on, enough height with long tails. What magic can I use to stop sliding? I use heels to my bum and make a hollow back. Tips? I am about to use superglue since most other magic failed.

sliding pose

Silks Stars Team

When coming out of the hip key, the wrap that’s over the right leg needs to be all the way to to the top of the leg in the hip crease. When ‘inverting,’ it should be as effortless as possible, almost just like a shift back before hooking the knees. I feel the silks along my lower back create a shelf. Try to avoid any slack when going into it. Hope that helps!

Ogie
        Participant

Again good tips. I will try to place the wrap precise and high and not to disturb it while inverting. Thanks!!!

Beatrice
      Participant

Hello! Here’s my first attempt – messy but getting there. Similar to some others, I seem to be having three main issues:

1. How to get the tails high enough over my legs (and wrap smoothly) before inverting into the cross back. I’m trying to scoop but it feels really awkward, like the tails aren’t where I expect them to be.

2. How to make the transition from skin the cat into belay smoother – I feel really clunky, though that might just be practice.

3. Any tips for balancing in the faux flag? Love the shape and it felt good in the hammock knot but in the sequence I either slip down or tip forward into a pike.

Thank you!!

Silks Stars Team

Hi Beatrice, great start!

1) try facing the right knee that’s bent until the tails settle, and then really scoop the left hip back, almost like you’re going to do an arabesque with it in order to pick up the tail higher up on the left leg. Once you catch the tail you can tilt the pelvis forward to help the tail slide up the left leg further. Will go over this motion more at the live Q&A on Tuesday.

2) this will get much smoother with repetition.

3) a smaller belay loop is helpful for the faux flag. Try not to put much weight into the belay loop when lowering in the skin the cat and grab the tail a bit earlier to keep the loop smaller. When entering the Faux flag – try to prevent your pelvis from going too far over. Try Lowering into it slowly from a vertical/candlestick position focusing on keeping the chest as low as possible (it will shift towards the sky as you lower the hips but keep leaning your weight in the upper body down towards the ground the entire time as that’s key to the balance.

Beatrice
        Participant

Thank you so much! I’ll give it another go with these great cues in mind next time I’m in the studio 😁

Elle
      Participant

Thanks so much for the combo this month, love the unexpected belay!

Have started working on it and would be great to have some feedback from where I’m at now (link below). I particularly struggle to get the leg wraps smooth when climbing up for the salto (I have to check whether I’ve ended up with 2 or 3 and then unwrap). Feels like my legs also want to bend on the salto when I do it with less wraps (as in the video). Obviously need to work on the creative way out 😉

https://www.silksstars.com/community/elle/media/2397/

Thanks so much for your help in advance!

Silks Stars Team

Hi!
        Brett will go over all these fantastic questions during tomorrow’s Q & A!

Janice
      Participant

Hi. Thanks Brett for this cool combo. After trying this sequence, I realized it’s harder than it looks. I’d appreciate your coaching. See my video:
      https://www.silksstars.com/community/janice/media/2398/

(1) After the hip key on right silk, the left silk often gets stuck or so close to the right silk at my back, so it takes time for me to find it.
      (2) I try very very hard to scoop that tail with my left leg. What technique am I missing? See how high I get my leg up…. It’s almost touching the pole.
      (3) I am generally comfortable with skin-the-cats. But this one seems to involve a split-second where only the right arm is supporting me while in skin-the-cat position. Is my interpretation correct? Maybe it will be corrected if I move quicker with the hand shifts??

I’d appreciate coaching. Thanks.

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

The Q&A was awesome! Thanks so much for sharing your expertise! Life time opportunity and I’m loving it!!! If I prefer a left hip key in the beginning, does that change which knee belay I finish in or is the knee belay only determined by which strand I leave on my upper thigh before the skin the cat?

Silks Stars Team

Hi Jill!
        If you do a left hip key, then you would need to leave the strand over the left leg and end up in a left knee belay. Because of the x that’s made behind the back it matters that if you start with a left hip key, you’ll also want to finish it with a left knee belay, otherwise the belay won’t be there when you skin the cat.

Janice
      Participant

I watched the Q&A replay, super thanks for all the insights. I am doing the regular combo version, but I want to exit the belay via Faux Flag. It’s my first time to learn it (THANKS!!), and I think it’s a really cool pose. As my belay is big… I don’t have much support as I prepare for Faux Flag. I’d appreciate if you can review this 25-sec video to see if this is ok and/or how to make corrections. Thanks. https://www.silksstars.com/community/janice/media/

Silks Stars Team

Looks good, Janice. For more balance, try more of a candlestick position, and with slightly wider legs when settling into the faux flag.

LauraDP
      Participant

Mini rig work in progress! I still have to figure out how to not destroy my crotch in the belay and how to exit at the end.

May mini rig

Caitlin
        Participant

I don’t know what issue you are having, but I was getting tangled at the exit at the end, and realized after the knee belay, Brett brings the tails in front of him before be regrabs the poles, so it drapes across the front of his body before he sets up for the flag. That solved the tangles for me, hope it helps! Combo looks so smooth!!

LauraDP
        Participant

Thanks @caitlinpanis yes I’ve seen Brett brings the tails in front. Next time I’ll try and see if I can exit 🤣

Jenny
      Participant

Hi guys. Here is my practice video. I think it is a matter of repetition, but the initial move feels so sloppy…..the grippy leggings are helping, but tips would be appreciated

https://www.silksstars.com/wp-content/uploads/rtMedia/users/154/2022/05/may-practice.mov?1652712706

Silks Stars Team

Hi Jenny! Looks great, and yes just keep drilling it. The only thing I would say is to incorporate more side lean in the rhonde de jamb scooping up the tail before the inversion. Keep up the good work!

tguthrie
      Participant

Hi! So I’m planning on adding the salto part of the sequence eventually, but for the time being I’m working on getting comfortable with the belay part of it. At first I was a bit nervous to let go with one hand in the skin the cat part, but I think I’ve gotten over that now (normally I do hip key sequences on my left side, but that would mean letting go with my right arm, and my left shoulder was injured last year so I was apprehensive about hanging only from that in a skin the cat, but switching to my bad hip key side helped me be more confident with that part). Here is what I have so far: https://www.silksstars.com/community/tguthrie/media/2402/
      If you have any tips, that’d be greatly appreciated!!

Robin
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/robin/media/2407/
      Hi all! It’s my first day training postcovid. What a treat! At first I was somehow scooping up the wrong tail but I think it’s the right one now. So fun. I’d play more with spins if I go again. Thanks again, Brett and team!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/jill-b-lovin-aerial/media/2414/

Here is my best attempt so far. I would love some feedback! But mostly, after the skin the cat. I can only find 1 tail. What am I doing wrong?

Silks Stars Team

Nice work, Jill. Looks like the other tail is right there, just need to begin rotating slowly and reach farther to grab it.

susi
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/susi/media/2419/ Hi! Finally I’ve something to post here! I might be able to get the studio free for self practice again this coming Sunday, that will be time to clean at least part of the details that I wish to do better 🤣🤣 so I’m asking for notes, advices from you to help me to do better! Thank you! Sending love for all of you! 🙌😘

Silks Stars Team

Wonderful work, Susi! Really enjoyed the rhythmic approach to the choreo. Pay attention to small details like super straight knees on pull overs and pointed feet during the in between moments. Keep up the great work!

susi
      Participant

Hi! Thank you! 😃 Let’s see if I can go to the studio today, I’ll try my best to keep that work on knees and toes! 🙏💪

susi
      Participant

Hello again! 😃 Here it is yesterday evening practice… I tried to keep those knee straight while pull over, candlestick and faux flag… but I don’t know if you can see any difference… plus the belay didn’t come out so smoothly this time … Can I ask if you can see any improvement? I still didn’t choose if I keep this video or the one before… I wish I could do it again… 🤣🤣🤣 https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=5468013936576128&id=100001027263012

Silks Stars Team

Hi Susi! Great work. The second video is kind of a strange angle, so it’s not as easy to catch all the details. Both videos show your passion and artistry, however. Please choose the one you prefer!

susi
        Participant

Just I saw I saw this reply! Thank you! I did a third one, ah ah!

Manon
      Participant

This month had a lot of different unexpected changes. I have zero recording done ! I’m in a panic mode ! 🤞🏼🤞🏼

susi
      Participant

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=5471086099602245&id=100001027263012 Last version… don’t know how 31 st May arrived so fast! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Well, learning to accept where we are it’s also a good lesson! Can’t wait to watch June’s challenge 😅😘 Keep safe and happy everybody!🙌

Beatrice
      Participant

The end of May has crept up so quickly!! That Rhonde de jamb really is deceptively tricky, but I’ve grown to love it and am super happy with my progress so far. Here’s my final submission .

One thing I’ve noticed from doing this program is that I have a few “go-to” moves/flourishes, which I tried to get away from a bit this month (though some still managed to sneak in oops 😅) I’d love to hear any thoughts on how others get out of “movement ruts” and what inspires you to discover new ways of dancing in the silk!

Mercury in retrograde got me so good this time, guys! May was seriously crazy/stressfull but still exciting/great. I landed one of the biggest gigs of my aerial career, but I had 2 weeks to prepare, and it had to be on my secondary apparatus, lyra. Don’t worry, I killed it and had a blast, but I had very little time for the Silks Stars submission during the second half of the month. I told myself I would get a better video with the couple of days I had at the very end of the month after my gig, but I busted my hand open during my last performance of the weekend and had to give aerial a rest for a few days. On the last day of May, I thought I had submitted the best video I had recorded from working on the sequence earlier in the month. I’ve been checking back for the last 5 days to see what stars reward I earned, only to find today I somehow never uploaded a video at all. Well, I finally made sure it was actually posted and here it is. Trying so hard not to beat myself up right now haha

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.