May 2021

Forums Monthly Challenges May 2021

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • Author
      Silks Stars Team

Option 1: Slack-Loops Split Sequence into Crochet’d Slack Drop
      Option 2: Slack-Loops Split Sequence into Knee Twizzle (Mini rig)
      Share your comments, questions, and work from this monthโ€™s combination below!

Jenny
      Participant

Woohoo May Combo! Delightful! I’ve been hoping for a slack drop! LOL ๐Ÿ™‚

Carmen
      Participant

Can’t stop watching that demo! Thank you.

Silks Stars Team

Thatโ€™s great! Weโ€™re here for you. Let us know if any questions come up ๐Ÿ™‚

ellianajin
      Participant

This one is definitely very challenging on the forearms! The most difficult part is to have the forearm strength to last the whole sequence, while not being panicked trying to get into the split. Questions I have while practicing:

1) it looks like whenever I am about to split the silk into two pieces for the half-turn, my silk seems to be already crossed? I find myself uncross them to sort and then cross again to be sure. Does it matter?
      2) How do you get into clean crochet? I find myself fidgeting in the air while trying to make sure my wraps not unwrapping?
      3) I find myself constantly moving quickly through the sequence because my forearms are taking a hit. What are the resting points? Is there any place I can engage my legs for resting?

Here is my first two days of practice, the best one I had so far…https://www.silksstars.com/community/ellianajin/media/video/

Silks Stars Team

These are great questions Elliana! This is for sure a heavy grip/forearm combo, and even more so when first learning it, but itโ€™s looking awesome on you already!

1) As long as they are crossed you are fine! No need to uncross and re-cross, the silks can be crossed either direction.
        2) The most important thing is that the wrap stays high on the thigh after the split. So pretty much bend/lift your knees towards the chest right away as you pull up , and make sure to pull all the way up so your elbows are your side before inverting. Right now it looks like you are inverting as youโ€™re pulling up. Itโ€™s definitely a strength moment. Your wraps were correct, but If you are ever unsure of your wraps, just keep your hands on as you slide down into the slack drop to walk it down.
        3) Massage your forearms and take rest days. Taking a day or two off in between working on this combo is super helpful when first learning it. Burning out is frustrating, so be sure to pace yourself and give yourself a longer timeline (if you can) to refine this one. The best REST point is the side lean before standing up to cross the poles. Take an extra few seconds there to rest. The other rest moment is right before you go into the split. Try standing really centered over your bottom leg so you can balance there. If youโ€™re standing balanced and your bottom foot is secure, you can and loosen your grip there (but donโ€™t remove your hands away completely) for a moment before pulling up and stepping in the loops.

Kary
      Participant

https://www.instagram.com/p/COZGH3AAGZM/?igshid=ikmao48n6x7l

Just the second part because my tails are not longer enough ๐Ÿ™‰

Silks Stars Team

Itโ€™s looking good Kary! Nice reach out into the half turn. Yes, this one does take a lot of tail so you would have to climb pretty high if your tails arnโ€™t long enough at the bottom. If you had a longer silks to rig it would be easier and possible to learn it at a lower height. Nice job on the second part ๐Ÿ™‚

Caro
      Participant

Haven’t tried this one yet but really looking forward to giving it a go!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

Iโ€™m really having trouble getting my front foot in the silk for the split. Is there any magic here Iโ€™m missing? ๐Ÿคฃ Thanks!

Silks Stars Team

Hah yes this can be a tricky moment! You can try leaning the booty back (piking) just slightly while standing to help place the front foot for the split. Youโ€™ll have to really turn out that leg to get the front foot in. Or you could also try pulling up and lifting your legs first before placing them if you find thatโ€™s easier!

Janice
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/janice/media/video/

That slack-loops split is a real test of patience. For your entertainment, see my video so you know you are not alone. We can do this!! For me, I seem to have more success after I reversed the left-right orientation as my right leg has better active flexibility. Feedback would be appreciated especially on tips on how to not lose height in getting into the split.

Silks Stars Team

Youโ€™re doing great Janice!! Thanks for sharing your process, this is totally how learning this one is like. Takes many many tries! The last one you did worked better as your arms were lower on the poles (more bent) which we find does make it a bit easier to go into the spilt from. Also being higher up helps too as there is more weight of the Silks below which can help the Silks from sliding while you wrap.

Janice
        Participant

Thank you for the tips …. be high and arms more bent. Thanks

Yvan
      Participant

Nice combo! I have a question regarding the exit from the tension split. When bending the front knee to exit the tenstion split, does the front knee need to bend towards the inside or towards the outside of the pole? I just cut my video after that exit so that you can better see whether the direction of bending matters and if so, whether I did it right or wrong in that attempt (I burned my finger tips while walking the drop down so I stopped practising afterwards for the day). Thanks a lot! ๐Ÿ™†๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธโค๏ธ

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Yvan.
        Silks Stars Team

Hi Yvan, good question, yes after the split bend both knees to the inside of the poles before inverting for the crochet. In the video it looks like you bent your front knee on the outside of the pole. Overall itโ€™s coming along nicely, keep up the good work!

Caro
      Participant

Hi team. I’ve given this a go. https://www.silksstars.com/community/caro/media/ I love it. But I have so many humorous moments with it. I realised it matters which direction you turn after you cross the silks and are coming through. Knot up number one. Turn the other way, tick, fixed. Then I find it hard to find the correct loop for my feet to fit into to push out into the split – so much fabric all looping around. Is that just practice? Then in the split my back leg keeps slipping lower, which is a bit funny. I tried the drop tentatively and turned out to the arabesque then did something funky and ended up in a knee belay! (the first time I turned the wrong way and ended up even more knotted). I was happy with the accidental belay find, but will try and figure out how to not do it too. Would you be able to look at my video? I think I need a number of hints throughout the sequence. Thank you.

AmyFlory
        Participant

Well I canโ€™t answer your question about the belay but I appreciate you posting this and am looking forward to the feedback. Your expression at landing in the belay gave me a laugh ๐Ÿ˜†โ€”I feel the puzzlement with this one!

Silks Stars Team

Hi Caro! First off great job, and really cool discovery into the belay! Sometimes accidents create magic as you did here!

1) make sure you cross the poles before diving through the center (your poles donโ€™t look crossed in your video), thatโ€™s key to make sure one leg doesnโ€™t slip down low once you get into the split.
        2) Be sure to turn the correct direction (If your right leg is the standing leg, you will turn towards your left) when diving through the poles to prep for the arabesque lean out.
        3) After the slack drop, you were correct pulling up into the arabesque, from there just lean back a little so you can unhook your right leg from the right pole and bring it down next to your left leg.. then bring your upper body forwards (through the middle of the poles). Then just fold to your left thigh hitch/hip key from there.

Megup26
      Participant

I am LOVING how this sequence makes my non splits look amazing! That first left foot hooking the pole to enter the splits is just…..a bit….ungraceful at the moment.

May Challenge Training #1

Yvan
        Participant

Thanks for sharing! Your fight with the silk made me laugh a lot!!! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚. Btw, how high is your rig? Can you use the space all the way to the top?

Silks Stars Team

This is coming along great Megan! Yep, placing the foot to prep the split can be a tricky moment, getting the hips more behind the poles (leaning back) can help make a bit more space to get the foot in. Keep up the good work!

Alissa
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/alissa/media/

I’m struggling with the spilts

Silks Stars Team

Hi Alissa! Thanks for sharing! It looks like something got mixed up with your wrap. If youโ€™d like re-upload the video from the start of the wrap we can help guide you. Each detail is very specific with this wrap. Looking forward to seeing more of your work and helping you out with this!

Yvan
      Participant

Today I dared to do the drop… quite scary not to be seeing where you are dropping… I see lots to clean up in the video but maybe you could direct me to the next specific thing I could focus on in my next training? Thanks a lot in advance!

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/

Silks Stars Team

Great job Yvan, you got all the technical elements! Weโ€™d recommend lots of repetition with this one to help iron out the details. A couple notes would be to make sure your bottom leg is all the way straight once you stand and go into the side balance. Also suggest working on sliding your hands down a bit further on the poles to get more arch lean out to open up that shape more before coming back to prep the split. Your slack drop looks good, just be sure to press your hips all the way forwards before you drop. Squeezing the bum helps. Overall itโ€™s coming together nicely!

Yvan
        Participant

Thanks! Looking fw to my next training to implement your tips ๐Ÿ™†๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธโญ๏ธ

Megup26
      Participant

Yes, I was hoping someone would get a laugh. ๐Ÿ˜! Circus Gear rigs go up to 24 feet (without the pulley system) maybe 22 feet and some change with the pulley. I don’t have any issues with maneuvering when using the pulley. My feet do hit the legs sometimes when not using the pulley, though.

Yvan
        Participant

REALLY funny blooper! That height is great ๐Ÿ™†๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธโญ๏ธ

Janice
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/janice/media/

Iโ€™d appreciate feedback on this training video. Where I need help are
      1) I find myself pulling the Silks from my butt to be above my waist after the CanCan climb. Doing so takes out the flow ๐Ÿ™ How can the Silks immediately be high?
      2) I tried to climb as high as possible such that I am already close to the carabiner. In the split preparation, I find the Silks are โ€œtightโ€. How can I achieve a flowy technique of hooking my foot to the Silk (for the leg that will go forward)?

Any other feedback on other parts of the sequence will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Silks Stars Team

Nice job Janice! Itโ€™s coming together great!
      1) For the can-can climb, try going into it with straight arms, and bending them as you stand up into it. It helps to stand all the way up with your bottom leg straight and your other knee bent nice and high before leaning over the side, that should make it so you donโ€™t have to adjust the tail with your hand.
      2) the closer to the top of your point the tighter the silks will be when youโ€™re prepping/doing the split. You may just need to lower 6-12inches when you start the combo to find the sweet spot of being high up but not too high.

Niksa
      Participant

Please excuse my distraction at the arabesque moment and my overly dramatic reaction at the end as I realized that what I have felt during slack drop was indeed my pants dissolving and leaving me with a burnt hole in my calf…

Please let me know your thoughts!

Link to video is here

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Niksa.
        Silks Stars Team

This is looking great Niksa! You got such a nice flow and lines here ๐Ÿ‘
        Bummer about the burn! Thick leggings or two layers of leggings will help prevent that when doing the slack drop. For the can can climb, see if you can raise your top leg up a bit higher as you kick to stand to show off that straight leg lift extension. Also, you did something interesting in your split… it looks like you placed your backfoot underneath the tail and then against the pole versus just on the pole itself. It looks like it didnโ€™t change the effectivity of the split or the wrap for the slack drop at all, just wanted to point that out, itโ€™s an interesting variation! Good work ๐ŸŽ‰

Manon
      Participant

https://instagram.com/p/COu6r4FgYwE5Mwa09gO8plf1z9mIMbBR-UlvG00/
      That split is not easy ! Am I doing it right ? Any advice to improve this part of the challenge ?

Silks Stars Team

This is coming along great Manon! The split can be a challenge especially when it billows out. What will help with that is to make sure the silk youโ€™re standing on in your can can climb is in the center of your foot so your heel/ toes are exposed versus covered up by the silk. It will help to start the can can climb with your body a bit closer to the silk so itโ€™s easier to scoop the tail higher up the thigh with your straight leg. We will go over that tomorrow at the QnA! Then as you enter the split, be sure to โ€˜turn outโ€™ your front leg/foot so the pole is pressing against the inside of your foot versus the outside. You can also try placing that front foot before pulling up, which might be easier. Keep up the good work!

Manon
        Participant

Thank you so much ! I will keep that in mind.

canu_camcam90
      Participant

I love this one! Super fun and cool =] When I come out of the split, my foot keeps getting caught in the loop. I notice that my feet kick back. Should I lift up from my knees more?
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CH4cZJrxgUSOATYHANVYa2likW4xdIMg/view?usp=sharing

Silks Stars Team

Looking good Cameron! Yep, think about using all upper body to pull up from the split and bring your knees up to your chest more before inverting. You’re doing great!

ellianajin
      Participant

Thank you so much for the monthly Q&A! It was super helpful to get some tips. Also exciting news, I started to feel less burn on my forearms after rounds of practice. The drop still burns me on my thigh so I slide down a bit slowly for that reason!
      https://www.silksstars.com/community/ellianajin/media/

Silks Stars Team

You are so welcome! And yes, absolutely- with practice and finding rest moments, it does get easier. For slack drops I like to double layer with tights under thicker leggings. Maybe give that a try?

Chris
      Participant

Thanks for this monthโ€™s challenge! Iโ€™m having fun exploring the mini rig version. Iโ€™m making progress, and I still want to work on smoothing out some of the transitions, especially the transition into the split. Also, I feel like I could do more with the arabesque shape at the end. Hereโ€™s a video from my last practice if you have any tips: https://www.silksstars.com/community/snow-aerial/media/

Silks Stars Team

Great work so far, Chris! When going into the arabesque shape at the end- be sure to keep that left leg straight as possible, drive the heel to the ground and press your hips to the sky a bit. Same thing with the right arm and shoulder. Also, try an exhale “breath moment” during that final shape. Nice progress!

Rbatignani
      Participant

This month has been a challenge! That split is his or miss, especially on the windy days! Today I connected the piece to music: https://www.silksstars.com/community/rbatignani/media/

Silks Stars Team

Wonderful work so far! Yes, the wind can be suuuuper challenging at times. Loving all your additions!

susi
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/susi/media/1030/ Hi guys! This month I really have to stick into mini rig version, so here it is where Iam right now! Wishing you all great times in the air! ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜

Manon
      Participant

If you are working on an 11 feet mini-rig, with at most 9 feet of tail, plus few feet of silks on the ground and you can do the May challenge, please post your video here ! Iโ€™m really struggling and need to see how others are doing it ! Thanks !

karenfox
      Participant

Goals: to add movement dynamics and to ‘dance’ with chosen music. This is the so far…

karenfox
      Participant
        Silks Stars Team

Really nice. Definitely seeing interesting dynamic choices. Love!

karenfox
      Participant

karenfox
      Participant

sorry…having technical difficulty. May have sent three of the same vid. May have sent none.Argh!!!

NikkiEva
      Participant

Just rewatched the Q&A since I missed the second half of it and I wish I had watched it before my workout today! Just wanted to give a shout-out and thank you for the great tips (and thanks to all who asked the same questions I was having today)!

Caro
      Participant

Hi there. I tried this again today and found keeping the other foot in whilst I placed the front foot helpful. I still found it hard to find the right loop for the back foot. I’ve been feeling a bit dizzy recently so just took and easy climb and didn’t spin!! Any hints or feedback would be great. It’s not feeling smooth and second nature yet.

Silks Stars Team

Hi Caro! You are right, it helps to keep the back foot grounded for front foot placement. Try to keep your hips and left foot a little more under your shoulders and pull up as much as you can. Thinking this will help create more slack in that loop thats easier to find with your right foot. This one is tricky and it does take lots of practice. Keep up the good work!

Caro
      Participant
      Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

I was really getting the Can-can climb and now all or a sudden I canโ€™t do it at all! ๐Ÿ™ I donโ€™t know what Iโ€™m doing different, but no matter how many times I try, the silks are fanning out underneath my foot and coming off my heel.

Silks Stars Team

Hi Jill! It looks like your standing leg is bending a little bit and the standing foot is raising up. Try to keep that standing leg super straight and your foot down to the floor.

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant
      phoenixdreamtrap
      Participant

Hoping to get some last minute feedback before submission day… Iโ€™m still working on a fancier way to climb before this trick, and also letting go fully for the drop feels really scary to me ๐Ÿ˜…

https://www.silksstars.com/community/phoenixdreamtrap/media/1/

Silks Stars Team

Hi there, you are doing great! Don’t worry about letting go completely or the speed of the slack drop. Presentation at the landing of it is more important, and what you are doing is nice!

Yvan
      Participant

Thanks a lot for this awesome challenge! I had great fun! I would keep on practising it but I literally ran out of clothes (I destroyed 4 pants in the making of this video, which I blame on my long legs that create big slack loops) ๐Ÿคญ๐Ÿคญ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/video/

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Yvan.
        Silks Stars Team

You’re welcome Yvan! Great split, and wow legs for days definitely create impressive slack loops!

Manon
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/manon/media/1047/edit

Yay ! Iโ€™m finally able to do the whole sequence ! I know that there is room for improvement. What are your recommendations ?

Silks Stars Team

Looking good, Manon! Nice, smooth and strong transitions. Think about refining the extension through your knees and feet. Also, maybe try a little dynamic change in your “flow”, just to mix it up. Great work!

Manon
        Participant

Thank you !

Laced
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/laced/media/1063/

Hi just did a run through and managed enough height to do the fun slack drop without walking it down ๐Ÿ˜‚

Any suggestions on another entry that avoids the crochet wrap? Like just pop the knees through and go for gold? Sounds scary is anybody else doing that?

Thanks ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

Silks Stars Team

Hi there, looking great! Yes it is possible to not do a full crochet with the legs. However its important to squeeze extra hard, keep your hips super flat and don’t pike at all. You will have less tension and points of contact with just bent knees, so be ready for more sliding. Nice work!

Niksa
      Participant

After burning my leggings and calf I couldn’t really commit to the slack drop – sorry about that ๐Ÿ˜‰ I also thought about the different position of the silks in the split and I think I might have crossed the silks twice, because I come up this way every time.
      Please let me know your thoughts! ๐Ÿ™‚

Here is the video

Silks Stars Team

You look great! Itโ€™s absolutely fine to cross the poles more than once. The reason the tail is over your foot in the split versus in the middle of your split is because youโ€™re not pulling and lifting your feet up off the silks and then placing your feet back on the poles, youโ€™re just opening into the split without tucking up first. It doesnโ€™t seem to make a difference with the rest of the combo so we say to keep it! We can call it Niksa variation ๐Ÿ˜‰

I had a very late start this month, and the next chance I have to practice will be tonight after work which will be after 12 AM PST, unfortunately. I think I’m still going to post a new video with a better flow to music if I’m able to, even if it’s a few hours late. I know it’s very last minute, but if you see this video today, I would love any tips! Current best attempt

Silks Stars Team

Looking fantastic. Gorgeous arabesques and split! I would say play with mixing up dynamic change in your flow a bit? Nice work!

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.