March 2024

Forums Monthly Challenges March 2024

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Silks Stars Team

Spinning Break Dancer into Jump Rope Slack Drop Wheeldown and Skipping Rope Slide into Tornado Spin (mini rig). Post your questions, comments and work below!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

A Rachel challenge!!! I’m so excited! Your hair and makeup look fantastic BTW! You know I’ve been checking ALL day for this post. I’ve looked about 50 times and it’s here! That jump rope slack… 😳 !!! Guess there is no walking THAT down! 😂 Thanks Rachel! And SPLITS!!!!! Gotta get on that ground workout. Butt still hurting from Zoë’s! This is awesome!

ncupps
      Participant

I *think* I have a cool idea for a different type of shape in the final wheeldown for this sequence. It may or may not even pan out once I actually try it in the silk. But, do you prefer we stick to a traditional wheeldown shape (as you demo’d in the video)? Or open to a slight, varied interpretation? 🙂

Silks Stars Team

Great question! Will add to the Q&A list. Cannot wait to hear how this theory works out!

Helene
      Participant

Hi!

A very puzzling thing is happening and I have not been able to figure out why, despite trying to solve it multiple times:
      I end up with a s wrap on one pole only!

It seems I am doing exactly what Rachel does, but keep on ending on 1 pole.
      Here is a video to illustrate:

Do you see where I might be wrong?

Thank you for your help!

Silks Stars Team

Hey Helene, while Rachel does split the poles, both cross her back from one hip to one armpit and then she goes through in the pull over. In your video, one one strand crosses your back while the other stays by your side, so it won’t end up in the S wrap later. The strands need to have the same path before the pull over, she holds one strand in the beginning as it’s easier to split the poles then rather than after having the fabric tight across the back. Happy training!

Helene
      Participant

Oh god! I did not spot that!
      Thank you, I ll try it out today🙂

Brett
      Participant

Hi everyone!

Question: I’m doing the mini rig sequence and I have all of it down but the throw! I can’t seem to either catch the silk with the back leg or grab enough slack?? Any tips for achieving this?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Brett.
      Cathy
      Participant

At the beginning is there another way to thread through without a flamenco grip? My wrist and shoulder mobility have always made moves with that grip challenging. This one in particular strains my shoulder. Or should I just use a different entry into s wrap?

Silks Stars Team

Variations to keep your body well and in the air are encouraged! Will add to the Q&A for Rachel to include her favorite options.

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

Is this slack drop very jarring/squishing for everyone Or am I maybe softer around my waist than I should be? 😂😬

Silks Stars Team

Take good care of yourself, Jill! Will add to the Q&A.

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
        Participant

Uh oh! Just me?

Silks Stars Team

Oh I cannot imagine so! Slack drop implies ‘surprise landing’ ;0

Carmen
        Participant

I’m finding it pretty uncomfortable too, especially in terms of the floating ribs. I think that I will limit how many times I do it full out.

aerial.borealis
        Participant

Same here, I’ll look for the Q&A answer.

SarahB
      Participant

I’m having fun with this one! Nervous about going for the slack drop full out. Is there any walk-down? Also when is the live Q&A?

Silks Stars Team

Great question, Sarah! Will add the walk down question to the Q&A.
        The live Q&A will be March 14th, 1pm PST. You can always find this info and the link to connect on the page with the monthly challenge videos.
        Happy training!

Silks Stars Team

Hi Silks Stars! Unfortunately our live Q&A got cut off at the end by technical difficulties. Here is a video recording of the final question answered from the Q&A.

Robin
        Participant

THANKS!! You read my mind.

robpippi
      Participant

I Lost password for q&a!

Silks Stars Team

The case sensitive password is: Slack
        You can always find the passwords on the Monthly Challenges page for each month with the demo videos.
        Happy training!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

Great Q&A! Thanks! Very helpful. Been working on my tightening my gut to get ready for a punch! 🥊 😂 … Last month some people did some mixing and matching with the regular challenge and the mini-rig challenge, so my question is, this month if I can get the drop, but not the wheel down because I’m too low, may I end it after the drop if I can make it a clean ending or do I have to move to the mini rig challenge? Thanks again! I’m having a blast!

Silks Stars Team

Great to hear! Jill, you are welcome to mix and match the skills from the challenges. Typically we look for a complete sequence, a beginning, middle, and end, either whole from one or mixed. How you blend the challenges can be a fun creative adventure!

uberannie
      Participant

Hi! I’m getting onto this challenge a little late in the month. So the first part of the sequence (flamenco right, shoot left arm through, reach left arm around to grab silk) I am having trouble reaching the silk with my left hand / arm. Is it because I have t-rex arms?! or is it related to shoulder mobility? Would love if you had any tips! I watched the Q&A and saw the alternate entry via ticktock however would like to continue trying the flamenco hand / thread through as per video. Thank you!

Silks Stars Team

Great question! Once you dive the left arm through and down, there is a spiral in the upper chest to turn the body up to the pole so the left hand can reach. If you need a bit more room, you can ease the hold of the silks between the feet to create more slack once the fabric is firm under the right armpit. Keep the feet on the fabric but see if you can get a slide of the fabric around the body to help that left arm. Happy training!

littlefootonfire
      Participant

I know this is quite late in the month, but I’d like to have this slack drop in my pocket regardless of if I nail it for this months submission so here is my issue:

I cannot for the life of me get the slack drop to actually drop. It feels very sticky and like I slide slowly rather than drop into the slack. The wraps are all in the right place and I land in an s wrap after tossing so I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. Perhaps Is this a body position problem?

Silks Stars Team

Good detail. The S wrap is built in the breakdancer pose, moving the tail into the wheeldown position, often also called a U lock because of the shape the tail makes around the pole. The prep for the Jump Rope Slack Drop wraps the tail around the pole again. So there is a lot of friction around the pole at this moment. When you do the Jump Rope, you are taking off the extra wrap around the pole to get back to the U lock/S wrap for the wheel down. If the Jump Rope moves around the body but not above where the tail contacts the pole, friction will stay. Since you are taking off a loop with the Jump Rope, there will be slack eventually. But to get that dramatic drop, feeding the slack into the tail around the pole is key. Really toss around the body and slightly up! Happy training! Tuck that shirt! It bites!

littlefootonfire
      Participant

I did just manage to drop it a little better but gave myself a nice belly burn in the process so I’ll be taking a break from that. Will submit the best video I have!

aerial.borealis
        Participant

I had same experience! Gave it a week off, but still inconsistent. Hope you heal quickly!

aerial.borealis
      Participant

Sharing just for funsies, I combined Feb and March combos for my silks number at the end of Wonderland we performed at the Fiji Fringe Fest. Cheshire Cat, back middle : https://photos.app.goo.gl/XSa4xQiNMn4PB7en8

Silks Stars Team

Fun fun fun! Thank you for sharing! Love the combo 🙂

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.