June 2022

Forums Monthly Challenges June 2022

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Silks Stars Team

Option 1: Sioux Sioux to Zig Zag Beat Release
      Option 2: (mini-rig) Sioux Sioux to Zig Zag Reverse Out
      Share your comments, questions, and work from this month’s combination below!

Tanya.Campos
      Participant

Hi @silksstarsteam ! I can’t see the June Challenge in the Monthly challenges. Has it been uploaded already? Thanks!

susi
      Participant

Sooooooo pretty! I love it!

Manon
      Participant

I love, love it ! Can’t wait to work on it !

Karenvferreirac
      Participant

That looks beautiful🤩, and long in comparison with May, I’m getting worried 😅

Janice
      Participant

The moves are so unique. And this is about movement control 🙂 So many things to memorize, too. Thanks for this challenge. Looking forward to train for it. Beautiful sequence.

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

Oh my GOODNESS!! This is AMAZEBALLS!!! Thanks! Can’t wait to get started!!!

kimberlyblaire
      Participant

Is anyone else getting a lot of knee pain with this? From the moment I toss the slack around to step into the standing pose, the tense pole around my right leg reallllllly hurts my knee on the MCL side (I have no previous knee injuries). Help!

cassie.catania
        Participant

Yes, when I was first working on this sequence I was also experiencing knee pain in that location and I also don’t usually experience knee pain. It’s still tricky for me but I discovered that what helps me is pulling more weight with my arms when I toss the slack and step around. And keeping my leg really engaged starting at the glutes.

*edit: I just practiced again and I noticed that I not only pull more weight in my left arm when tossing the slack to step around, but I also keep weight in my left arm the entire time until being relieved in the hip key position. especially when straddling back and hooking my left knee to rotate into stag.

hoping for less knee pain for you!

Cathy
      Participant

After the spin, the tails are twisted up and it makes it difficult at the very end when I need to slide the silk through my hand. I’ve been taking a moment to unwind them before doing the layout to get them less tangled. Any other thoughts?

Silks Stars Team

Hi Cathy- would you mind to post a video so we have a visual? You can delete it after.

Cathy
        Participant

I posted a short video in my profile but I’m not linking it right to this post. I think my silks are just too long so I need to find a better way or place to untangle them.

Ogie
      Participant

Hi Jenn, great choreo and awesome to meet you here again. Two questions:

1) is there an easy entry to practice the beat release at the end without doing the full choreo? I can do straddle beats, it is the release beat i’d like to focus on.

2) getting the knot off is an unexpected experience. Sometimes it goes easy, sometimes it does not come off at all. I try to make my footloop big and my triangle big, so when i hipkey the tension is of. Any tips for worry free knot release?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Ogie.
      • This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Ogie.
      ndagesse
      Participant

I love this zig zag and can’t wait to play with all the shaportunities!

Question about the name, I’ve always called the wrap the Sous Sus (from the french Under/Over), since one leg scoops under and crosses over, I’m curious about other nomenclature ideas/origins, etc.

Thanks for sharing!

Manon
        Participant

I wanted to write a note about that. Just one little correction on Nicole’s spelling. It’s Sous Sur. I’m curious as well !

mayaintheair
        Participant

I know the russian movement here as a Russian Pocket – I know it mostly as part of a climb (Russian Pocket Climb, a variation of a Russian Climb) but it is the concept of a pocket created in this way that can be used in many places with different parts of the body.

Silks Stars Team

Hi gang! Jenn will go over all of these fantastic questions during tomorrow’s Q & A!

cassie.catania
      Participant

The part of this sequence I’m having the trickiest time with is at the end letting the one panel slide through my fingers to scoop the slack with my knee. I’ve been playing around with extending my fingers (excluding the thumb because I need to still grip the other panel) but it is not a smooth slide. Any tips are appreciated. Many thanks, Jenn!

cassie.catania
        Participant

I figured out my specific problem with this. It was more than just having an issue letting the one panel slide in my hands- after the back balance I was crunching my abs and reaching up too high with my right hand. That caused me to lose some of the distance my right leg could push and slide down, resulting is a less efficient transition.

cassie.catania
      Participant

Is there a recording of the Q and A? I was hoping to hear input for some of these questions.

Silks Stars Team

Yes! To watch the replay- Go to community tab, then Live Q and A, then June, password is Zigzag.

Hi,
      I watched the q and a to see if this question was asked, but it seems I’m the only one having issues with the very first transition out of the Sioux Sioux… when I step my left leg out, the wrap comes completely off my right foot. What am I wrong?
      Thanks!

cassie.catania
        Participant

That did happen to me at first and I realized it was because I wasn’t turning in front of the tension pole. Need to feel it wrapping around the right leg.

Silks Stars Team

Hi There!

Jenn says-
        Here are some tips:

First, be sure that the loop is large enough that the left foot can easily slide out without pulling wrap off the right foot.

The right foot should also be turned INTO the pole. Sometimes we have a tendency to pull both feet back to remove the left foot but the right foot needs to “snuggle” or press into the pole to trap the trail while the left foot slides up and out.

Keeping the left foot pointed will also help with the release of the left foot so that the tail doesn’t get pulled with the foot as is slides out.

Yvan
      Participant

Thanks a lot for a great choreo again and for giving us the opportunity to learn from amazing teachers 🤩❤️. After close to two years following SilksStars I feel the program is just getting better and better!
      This is my submission for this month

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/2527/

Looking fw to the combo of July!

susi
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/susi/media/2541/ Hi! So… we’re in lockdown here in Macau… I was really down for not being able to do silks stars challenge this month… until I give it a try at home 😅 However some adaptations were needed: no swivel and no mat just because I need all the cm I can get, no knee hang before the pull over as my head was on the floor everytime I tried it… and it was hard to move but I’m happy I did it! Last night when kids and hubby were asleep, that’s why the sound is really bad, I placed my phone in a low volume close to my camera… also the light is “soft” …at the end, the only thing I regret is had waited until yesterday night to trust I could do this so near the floor! Thank you Silks Stars for this challenge and all this emotional and aerial process that help me to grow (hopefuly, ah ah ) Wish you all to fly safe and happy! 😘😘🙌

Silks Stars Team

Wonderful work, everyone!!!

Beatrice
      Participant

Hello! Here’s my submission for this month. I’m a little sad as I was looking forward to doing a more stylized run to this song, but the spicy cough has struck again. That said, this has been such a wonderful challenge and learning experience, thank you as always!

Here’s my June submission- not as clean as I would have liked but could only start working on it about a week ago, and spent about 2 days and all my grip strength on figuring out the first move 😐
      I *really* enjoyed the shapes in this flow!
      Thank you!!

https://www.silksstars.com/community/the-heather-feather/media/2604/

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.