June 2021

Forums Monthly Challenges June 2021

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • Author
      Silks Stars Team

Option 1: Cupid Salto into Falling Angel 
      Option 2: Cupid Angel into Skin the Cat (Mini rig)
      Share your comments, questions, and work from this month’s combination below!

Yvan
      Participant

Awesome sequence! Soo excited about trying this month’s challenge 🙆🏻‍♂️❤️

Janice
      Participant

Hi. I have a mini rig, but with a height still enough for me to do the falling angel. So would it be ok to do a hybrid: Cupid Angel into Falling Angel? Thanks for the sequence. Excited to try it 🙂

Silks Stars Team

Hi Janice, Yes for sure, hybrid is a great idea!

Janice
        Participant

Thank you!!!! Looking forward to trying this sequence out 🙂 By the way, it’s amazing how Sarah’s voice remains cool, calm and modulated even in the midst of her doing the demo, even when upside down 🙂 Cheers!

Silks Stars Team

Ha ha so true! She is a one cool cookie!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/jill-b-lovin-aerial/media/1106/ I tried the first 1/2 of this… thoughts? Tips? Where do I go from here to improve and of course learn the 2 nd 1/2. 🙂 Thanks!

Silks Stars Team

It’s looking great so far Jill! Try throwing that spare tail a little more aggressively so you have plenty of space/room for to wrap for the Salto. Don’t forget to take your right arm off for the Cupid also 🙂 Looking forward to seeing more!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

Thanks!!! I’m on it!!! 🙂

Janice
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/janice/media/

Hi. See my first training for the June challenge. Warning: this is boring to watch as I am still slow due to lots of pausing, thinking, and mind buffering 🙂 Please give feedback. I have a mini rig but I think I can do the high-rig sequence version with some modification. I wish to know: (1) Any tips to remove fear of falling while in the inverted stag? I am not scared when I do this low. But to do it high is a little scary. (2) Immediately after the Cupid pose, I think I have enough height to do the Salto. If you agree with me, I’ll add it in my next training. (3) When I prepare for falling angel, my egg beaters (especially the 2nd one) are not smooth. Tips please 🙂

Thank you for this beautiful sequence.

Silks Stars Team

Hi Janice, this is looking great! 1. The inverted stag is a lot about grip strength, you can use rosin to help with this but repetition is ideal 2. Yes you do have height for the salto after the Cupid pose 🙂 3. For your Eggbeaters, try to ‘draw’ big circles with your legs in order to pick up the tails and clean up the eggbeaters. Looking really good!

Janice
        Participant

Thanks!!!! I’ll do these in the next training 🙂

Jenny
      Participant

It’s such a pretty combo Sarah. I’m not used to working on one strand at a time so this is a good challenge for me. Started practising yesterday….any tips welcome!https://i2.wp.com/www.silksstars.com/wp-content/uploads/rtMedia/users/154/2021/06/1622921082-june-challenge_3.jpg?w=580&ssl=1

Silks Stars Team

Very nice, Jenny! When you toss the fabric for the waist wrap, try to quickly bend your left knee as you reach for the strand to wrap around you. Thinking that will be more efficient. Then during the egg beaters- really stretch your legs back behind you as far as possible, on the horizontal plane. Great work!

Trying to get myself back to my pre-covid training schedule, and very proud of how it’s coming along! I actually have a video recording of this entire sequence already! I know I need to clean up my tail tosses, getting into the salto wrap, and getting into my invert after the salto for sure. I decided to throw a little of last month’s sequence on the ending, too. Let me know what you think so far 🙂 June 1st attempt

Silks Stars Team

Really nice so far! Yeah, think about aggressively throwing those tails you have space and time to finish the rotation before they come back. Great job!

Eiz
      Participant

I gave it a go the other day and I can’t help notice when coming down from the Cupid pose (right before the Salto), the silks seems to always settle rather uncomfortably in the center of my crotch ( I can’t help imagine how it would be for boy parts 😨). Is there a way to nudge them towards my thigh (or maybe a technique that I’m missing?) 🤔

Yvan
      Participant

Hi Eiz! Hi everybody! Thanks for your thoughtful comment about “boy parts”. Myself, I am not a big fan of front salto and I usually do the open drop version (basically a front salto from a catcher. I must admit I have already devoted some hours to this month’s challenge and yesterday I decided to adapt it to have the open drop version instead of the wrapped front salto. If I remember properly, the challenge from January had the front salto wrapping after the coffin drop and I did not manage then (even after wearing a dance belt, underwear and 2 layers of tights) to find a safe way to do it. This months is even more challenging and painful and the fact that the front salto is done on one silk doubles the pressure. I am really sorry for not being able to follow the exact instructions this month but I will have to adapt it. The good side of it is that I am getting to add some extra creativity to it 😃

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Yvan.
      • This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Yvan.
        Eiz
        Participant

That’s creative thinking right there. Thank you Ivan for the ideas 💡

Silks Stars Team

These are great questions! We will go over all these topics during today’s Q and A!

Kary
      Participant
        Silks Stars Team

Great work so far! And yeah, wind can be unpredictable at times, so great you have a reliable training partner (silk wrangler)!

VictorSzeto
      Participant

Got into this a little later than usual (after the Live Q&A), but I think I have the gist of it now. I have a somewhat higher-than mini rig and can sometimes do the regular combo, but not this one! So sticking with the mini rig version, and got the right length of silks and found the right height to make it work. I’m sensing that this version isn’t has ouchy as the higher version, but adjustments are still to be had for the cupid section. I posted a practice version for feedback, set to the soundtrack of Sarah’s soothing instructions… https://www.silksstars.com/community/victorszeto/media/1133/

Silks Stars Team

Nice job so far- looking fantastic!

susi
      Participant

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T2HZXHdtEg0qBW0kCbyFQ5QHY4tfXSOA/view?usp=drivesdk Hi! Finally I’ve got something to show you and yes, there’s still a lot to clean… I hope you can see it now cause a few minutes ago I couldn’t submit the video… Anyway the biggest challenge it’s do it smoothly…I’m trying to really pull everything I invert to see if I can win some height…and I felt like it would be fun to double the fallen angel… best wishes of training with joy and safety for everyone! 🙏

Silks Stars Team

Hi there! Would you mind to send this with a link that doesn’t need permission? We aren’t able to view it. Thank you!

susi
      Participant

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CQXqsVPhQbx/?utm_medium=copy_link Hi! Sorry about the permission requested…I’m really bad with thecno 🤣 hope you can see it here

Jenny
        Participant

Susi nice job! I love the 720 at the end! Rock on girl!! 🙂

susi
        Participant

thank you Jenny! I’m so happy this month I got the time to practice! 😃 wishing you well! 😘

Silks Stars Team

Wow, soooo great! Love your energy!

susi
        Participant

yeah Thanks! 🙂 🙂 Any suggestion/ recomendation I should follow?

Silks Stars Team

Awesome work so far! I would say to “dance” to your music in more areas- think about hitting those accents nice and sharp. You have a very nice execution of the choreo and great add-on to the angel. Continue to work towards keeping your knees super straight and feet pointed during the drop.

susi
        Participant

Ok Thanks! I’ll keep working! 🙂 🙂

Yvan
      Participant

Hi! I am having a slow start this month. In the Q&A I mentioned that the front salto wrapping proposed by Sarah was impossible for me so I came up with this modification. And now I do instead an open front salto. The down side is that it does not connect as gracefully with the back cross… but I will try to make something beautiful to make up for it. I hope Sarah does not feel I desecrated her sequence 😃. Any feedback welcome! 🙆🏻‍♂️❤️

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/1141/

Yvan
        Participant

Regarding what to do after the open front salto, I wonder whether I should try to go
        To back balance or whether I should try to french climb to the best of my abilities and go on… from what I practised so far, the back balance gets messy because of the single thread

Silks Stars Team

Fantastic Yvan! What a great solution for the salto. I am certain that with a little time, both pathways would work wonderfully. We are excited to see what you come up with!

karenfox
      Participant

Hi,

Been OOT, now practicing Sarah’s sequence. Just want to say, I love your warm-up, such a nice yoga flow!
      Goal for this month—composing a little music to accompany my video.
      Cheers!
      Karen

Eiz
      Participant

Been practicing this for quite a bit and the crotch thing is getting a little more bearable when I lean a little to the side before the Salto. Here’s my best attempt here. Please let me know of any tips and suggestions for improvement ☺️

Silks Stars Team

Hi! Great work! So glad that salto is getting more comfy. You have all the elements in order. I’d like to see more refinement in the extension of your legs and feet. Also- remember to keep your knees, ankles and toes glued together when you sit up for the angel drop. Overall very nice!

Rbatignani
      Participant

Here is me entry! I love the flow of this sequence. I had some hiccups but I’m happy with it. I don’t do well anymore in the Florida summer heat so I get about 30 minutes of silks and then I’m done! https://www.silksstars.com/community/rbatignani/media/1151/

Silks Stars Team

Great job! Only thing I’d recommend is to work on those tail tosses. Make them bigger and more dramatic! Overall very nice.

Rbatignani
        Participant

Thanks! I agree, tossing the tails is something I need to get better at!

Caro
      Participant

Hi Silks Stars team. I might need a modification. Is that possible? I have been putting together a solo piece and included a wonderful slack drop (I call it the Brett drop – thanks Brett! https://www.instagram.com/p/B6yYUPsBIdX/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link). However on the weekend I didn’t engage my circus common sense and did the drop with bare skin around the midriff. I have a really bad silks burn now which is all bandaged but still way too painful for the wrap at the end of the June sequence. I tried today and seem to be okay for the first part of the sequence but the final wrap is way too squeezy on my left side where the burn is (sort of side/back just above the hip). Could you recommend a modification? I know it’s pretty late for such a request so if there’s no time I’ll make something up or just stop after the first part. Thanks. Caro

Silks Stars Team

Hi Caro! So sorry about that burn. It’s really important to always cover up (with multiple layers) when performing slack drops. Since we don’t know exactly what is comfortable for you- go ahead and create something to finish that will work with what feels ok to you. You got this!

AmyFlory
      Participant

I’m so glad to have had the opportunity to work through this sequence by Sarah. I love the twisty turns and little details that make it smooth (not that I made it look that way!). I actually both had my phone handy to record, AND remembered in the same training session with my coach so here is my first go (and last for this month). I realized quickly that hand placement and timing are crucial for this, so my coach talked me through this at the end of a hot grueling night. https://www.silksstars.com/community/amyflory/media/1169/

Audasilk
      Participant

Hello everyone, i’m trying to upload my june combo video but it seems to be complicated this month (or my wifi is dying 🤷🏻‍♀️)
      Do you have some problems too?
      Cheers,
      Aude

Yvan
      Participant

Here my adaptation of this months‘s challenge to open salto. I did not mangage to train it as much as I would have wished… It is a bit different 🙄

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/1174/

AmandaG
      Participant

Here’s my video. It’s the first time I’m uploading a video. I really love this combo. I worked on it yesterday and today I corrected a few things and I tried to make it look as pretty as Sarah. Emphasis on try! Any comments welcome!
      https://www.silksstars.com/community/amandag/media/1178/

Silks Stars Team

Great work everyone! Reviews will be up soon!

Chris
      Participant

I enjoyed working on the challenge this month! After doing some experimenting, I ended up putting together parts of the mini-rig and tall rig versions. I shared my video here: https://www.silksstars.com/community/snow-aerial/media/1186/

I’m pretty happy with my best attempt so far, but still hoping to get a better video posted by tonight. I want to be more dramatic with my tail tosses, and get the leg crochet and bendy shapes I threw in a bit cleaner. Any other tips appreciated! Newest June submission

karenfox
      Participant

I feel silly. Again, I cannot tell if my submission has worked. Also cannot figure out how to create a link to the video in my profile. I went over Bret’s original tutorial. Might need help.
      Karen

Silks Stars Team

Hi Karen, yep you uploaded correctly 🙂
      If you’d like to post a link to your video here on the forum, click on your profile- then click the video from your gallery- then copy the URL at the top of your browser and paste into your comment in the forum.
      Posting a link here on the forum is optional. We will be reviewing everyone’s submissions over the next few days whether you share a link on the forum or not. Hope that all makes sense!

karenfox
      Participant

thank you for emailing about my post. I tried to post it three times. Doing what you said, copying the link to the video from my profilte, but it doesn’t seem to have worked.

If I am unsucessful in posting in the forum, how do I communicate that I have posted in my profile?
      Or is there some other place to post?

Silks Stars Team

Hi Karen, that is very odd that you’re not able to post the URL code of your video into a comment in the forum! Does it not let you submit your comment or does the link not show up once you post your comment?

Here is the URL code of your most recent video you uploaded: https://www.silksstars.com/community/karenfox/media/1194/
        Is this the same URL code you copied and tried to paste into a comment?

It’s also not necessary to post a link to your video in a comment in order for other members/us to see it. The community can still see your video by clicking your username and then clicking your media. So in the future if you ask questions etc in a comment on the forum, and want to refer to your recent upload, you could mention to check out your recent upload, and we can all go through your profile instead of using a direct link, it’s just a couple extra clicks so no biggy for us 😛

My final training session was a little rough, as I was surrounded by screaming children instead of friends as planned, but I really think my tail tosses and the overall sequence looks better. Plus, one of the kids called me “elf queen”, told me I was talented and that she loves me (which you can hear at the end of the video, which is why I left the terrible audio in haha) so I forgive them for being distracting! Hope you like my rendition of the June submission

karenfox
      Participant

Hi,

Yes, this was the link that I attempted to post. It did not show up.
      Thanks again. Uploading is fine. I just want to become a bit more present in the forum…
      as I keep building my practice up again.
      Karen

Manon
      Participant

Because I was moving last June ( 2021 ). I didn’t do that challenge. I might want to do it this month instead of the May 2022. Can I ? And also, when I’m watching the tutorial, I can’t get the full screen, why ?

Silks Stars Team

Hi Manon, yes that would be ok to substitute this challenge this month. We just fixed that page so you should be able to view the full screen videos now. Thanks for catching that!

Manon
        Participant

Thank you so much !

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.