July 2021

Forums Monthly Challenges July 2021

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • Author
      Silks Stars Team

Option 1: Rainbow Marchenko to Tootsie Roll Drop
      Option 2: (Mini Rig) Spinning Rainbow Marchenko
      Share your comments, questions, and work from this month’s combination below!

Jenny
      Participant

I have been dying to know the tootsie roll drop!!! So happy it’s in this month! 🙂

Janice
      Participant

I am actually training with my coach on a 3:30min choreo where this rainbow marchenko and tootsie roll are included. I am excited about this month’s challenge. It is a bonus for me as it will help me improve on the routine I am currently training for 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Janice.
        Silks Stars Team

That’s so awesome Janice! Looking forward to seeing your interpretation!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

I LOVE this!!!!! So fun! Getting ready to climb up now! The Tootsie roll drop is new to me. Any way to walk it down? Anything I need to know? I keep watching Rachel, but it’s SO FAST! LOL

Silks Stars Team

Hi Jill! We will talk about this at todays Q & A but if you think about opening up the wrapped leg as you rotate (in a small straddle) this will help keep the tail out of your way.

KamilaK
      Participant

Hi guys, great combination this month, love it! It is also so nice to have Rachel teaching again 🙂
      Any tips for the entry? I haven’t done the switching folds like that before and I keep sliding out. It feel impossible to keep my hips up when folding to one side then switching to fold on the other side.

Nick L
        Participant

Hi Kamila. Yes keeping the hips ups is a challenge for sure! Keep working on the switching with straight legs but as you are building strength you can bend the knees slightly to make to a little easier to switch the tail on that ‘Meat Hook’ moment.

KamilaK
        Participant

Thanks! Will try 🙂

Janice
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/janice/media/1224/

This July challenge is really challenging. But I am lucky as I’ve actually been training for this for a couple of days already in June. I’d truly appreciate coaching on the tootsie roll drop:
      1) Tips on how to get up smoothly during the transition from marchenko to the drop prep.
      2) Tips on how I can “bounce back up” on my own after the drop. In the video, you’ll see that I still would have to grab the pole to pull up myself.
      3) Tips for everything else 🙂

I’d greatly appreciate the coaching 🙂 Thanks!!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Janice.
      • This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Janice.
        Silks Stars Team

Hi Janice! Looking great so far.

1) After marchenko, take a breath and then do a full and complete sit up to grab the pole with your right then left hand right away. Think about driving that wrapped leg down and away from your center.
        2) Yes, you will still grab the pole after the tootsie roll drop. I think you can “tempo” a bit more before the drop, which should help that bounce back up. Also- think about driving your wrapped leg down and away from your center, just like after marchenko. Let us know how that goes!

Janice
        Participant

Thanks for the coaching. I’ll remember all these when I next train 🙂 I greatly appreciate it.

Chriskers
      Participant

If I throw myself or kiss my knees in the tootsie roll drop I can pop myself up a little now but the tail gets in my face when I’m sitting up. Any tips on the tail? Also I wrap high twice and then the egg beaters twice.

Silks Stars Team

Hi There! Re- tail, think about tossing your wrapped leg a little to the side and away from the pole as you begin to sit up from the drop. Hopefully that will keep it away from your face.

Kary
      Participant
      KamilaK
      Participant

Hi guys, I’m still finding the switch in meathook very hard. Any tips or exercises to make it happen?
      Also, is there an alternative way to get into the spinning seating position? It looks like it could be done from a hip lock? I’m asking so I can get to that fun part of a spin, while I work on my meathook switches.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by KamilaK.
        Silks Stars Team

Hi Kamila! It is a tough one for sure. Try performing the switch part with bent knees, and only going a little of the way over. For now, you don’t need to do a full meathook pose, as you build your strength. You can do this from the ground, going slowly back and forth at first. Then take it up one climb, then more as it gets easier.

As far as the spinning portion- here is Brett’s spinning technique to refer to. Let us know how it goes!

Spinning Techniques

Yvan
      Participant

I thought I had posted a message but I do not see it… 🙄
      I just wanted to say I went today for the drop and I LOVED it! Thanks a lot for this great combo.
      Regarding the part in between the poles… I have not tried it yet but I think I might need to adapt it again 🤭🙆🏻‍♂️

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/

I absolutely LOVE this routine! My first night trying it went well, and this was my best take other than the tail getting stuck for a minute in my first tail toss, and my foot smacking the pole during the cupid transition. I also feel like I can get the hands-free triple leg wrap cleaner as well. Definitely looking forward to polishing this even more. Any other tips for me? July first attempt

Silks Stars Team

Really nice work so far!! Try a bent to extended leg in the triple wrap, and a bit more “tempo” before your drop. Looking great!

Megup26
      Participant

First stab at this month’s sequence. I have not picked my music, so I did improv with the radio. Feedback welcomed 🙂

Training Day 1 – July Silks Challenge

Silks Stars Team

Great work! Think about keeping your leg super straight when you thread it over for the spinning seated pose. Press into the fabric with your hamstring, that should help smooth that part out. Also- add a little bit more “tempo” before your drop. Nice!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

Still wondering about the tootsie roll drop…… just go for it? No tips? Caution? Advice?

Yvan
        Participant

If I may… I was also super scared after seeing the video from Rachel and I now recommend just going for it! 😃 It s very safe with all those wraps… worst case scenario is that you wont have enough power in the drop to directly catch the pole but even in that case u can easily reach for it after the drop.

Caitlin
        Participant

I’m with you, Jill! Hoping for a good way to walk it down. I’m terrible at just going for it 😂.

Silks Stars Team

Hi there! Yes, you can!You would just not do the beat and hold onto the pole briefly and make it more if a rotation then a drop. Also- Rachel will be demoing this modification in the Q and A this week!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
        Participant

Thanks Yvan! I really appreciate your input! Going to do this soon! Very soon! Fingers crossed for tomorrow !!!

Chriskers
      Participant

Was wondering after the tootsie roll drop if one could rehook the knee climb up and over setting up for the tootsie drop again? Kind of a like a never ending drop?

KamilaK
      Participant

Hi guys, thanks for the earlier tips! It helped, I am able to do meat hook switch ok after working on this and gaining strength.

Also, a question for tomorrow’s Q & A (or just a forum question) how to avoid sliding down in this combo when doing meat hook change and then into spin and cupid. I tend to loose 1-2 feet in height at the minute 🙁

Thanks for everything, really enjoy working on this challenge!

Silks Stars Team

Rachel will go over all these topics in today’s Q and A, see you there!

susi
      Participant

`https://www.silksstars.com/community/susi/media/1231/ Hi! Here it is my July challenge trial just before my staycation! Wishing you all lots of joy and happiness! 😘😘😘

susi
      Participant

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CRWQtcoD-XU/?utm_medium=copy_link hopefully this link will work better! 😃😘

Silks Stars Team

Very nice Susi! Love the passion!

Rbatignani
        Participant

Susi, the energy in this routine is amazing!

susi
      Participant

Thank you! 😊

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

Ok! 2 new questions! 🙂 The 1st one is that I seen to be losing a lot of height. Is there a way to minimize this or is it just part of this sequence? I’ll add part of my video so you can see what I’m talking about. Also, is everyone’s left upper thigh getting bruised? TOTALLY WORTH IT, but just curious if I’m doing something wrong there too. THANKS! 😃. https://www.silksstars.com/community/jill-b-lovin-aerial/media/1232/

Silks Stars Team

Hi Jill! Ok. In terms of losing height- this one does slide a bit, so be sure to wear sticky pants or apply some rosin. Also- your initial thigh wrap could be higher up on the leg. Try to wrap it as close to your hip as possible. Thinking this will also help with the thigh bruising. Also- keep lifting your hips high up during the second switchover. It looks like your hips drop down some during that part. Let us know how that goes!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

Awesome! I’ll give this a shot! Hopefully I can get up there Monday morning. Thank you!!! Love this help! It’s priceless!

Caro
      Participant

Loving watching you all try this wonderful combo. I can’t do it this month, so I’m cheering you all on!!! Loving seeing the progress here and on instagram for so many silks stars.

Caro
        Participant

I have a question around not being able to do the July combo this month (I’m focussing on my first in real life solo performance instead – eeek exciting). Should/can I still do the ground workout and film it? Also I’ll probably do both the July and August combos next month (how could I actually miss this one 🙂 ) so I know I won’t get the stars for the July but can I still post my video for it and ask a couple of questions about it after the submission date?

Silks Stars Team

Hi Caro! That’s so exciting about your solo performance!!! Yes, still submit the ground class and you will automatically get 3 stars for July. Yes, you can still post videos and questions in the July challenge forum. However, only one challenge will be reviewed (July or August) so pick one for us. Thank you for such great questions!

Caro
        Participant

Fabulous thank you. Shall I just do the final week of the ground class (it’s 30 days to splits isn’t it?) or all 3 weeks in one video?

Silks Stars Team

We encourage you to do all 4 weeks but you will receive stars by submitting a video showing that you are working on some aspect of the flexibility challenge

Caro
        Participant

Oh yes great. I’ve been doing the challenge but just uploaded a recording of a 1 minute segment. Hopefully that’s right. Thanks 🙂

Silks Stars Team

It’s perfect. Thank you!

Yvan
      Participant

Hello beautiful people!
      Today I finally dared to add the spin and to go through the poles and it was not pinful at all 😮‍💨. We still have one more week to clean it up and I would appreciate any focus points or tips for improvement. Thanks a lot and have a great weekend!

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/1243/

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Yvan.
        Silks Stars Team

Wow, Yvan- such wonderful work so far! We are super stoked the spin section is working for you. We would like to see more refinement in the stretch through your knees and feet. No micro bends or “sickle” of the feet. “Sickle” happens when the toes curve inward, and the heel drops back. Really extend through the outer edge of the foot, pinkie toe to the outside. Also- during the tootsie roll drop, extend the wrapped leg a little more away from your torso as you sit up. This should help to keep the tail away. Great job!

Yvan
        Participant

Thanks a lot for your feedback! The sickle is my nemesis 🙁. I recently started doing some ballet foot exercises with a band to try to correct it but, I guess it will take a while… if I understood properly you recommend I continuously focus on extending through my pinky to the outside… I think that part of my lower leg and foot is numb 🤣. Is it in the inversions that it is particularly visible?
        How could I approach it in the air to better feel what my feet are doing? Any recommendations? Regarding the microbend at the knees I believe I am more conscious about it… my handstand teacher is also continuously telling me to lock my knees 😃🤸🏻‍♂️

Silks Stars Team

Hi there! Yes- you have it right, think about extending with your entire foot, leading with pinkie toe away from your center line. Theraband exercises are great! You can also do a floor barre class, or even pilates and Gyrotonic will help with refining extension. It is particularly visible during transitions and flexibility poses, such as the marchenko. In fact, Rachel is currently creating a legs and feet class, for this very thing. So very soon there will be a Silks Stars Extension foundation for your referral.

Yvan
        Participant

Fantastic! Looking fw!

KamilaK
      Participant

Hi guys,
      I am struggling to have enough fabric for Rainbow Marchenko and I am thinking of buying myself a new longer silk. I would love to hear your recommendations so I can do the Rainbow Machenko and also Kimono drop on a new silk (previous challenge which I also couldn’t do due to my short silks).

I have filmed myself doing Marchenko on my current silks here https://www.silksstars.com/community/kamilak/media/. My current set up is a 8m silks (so 4m in height). I lowered my rigging point to have 3-4 feet of spare silk on the floor as per Rachel recommendation in the video. It is not enough for me as you will see in the video. Also my silks are low stretch, which doesn’t help. Overall, I am too low in the air anyway and still don’t even have enough spare tail to support me in Marchenko.

Finally, it would also help me if you can tell how long is Rachel’s spare tail on the floor in the July’s video? The tail seems longer than 3-4 feet recommended. it looks like a good extra length and would help me to know.

I would appreciate your advice. Sorry to post a rigging/new silks purchase question here but it came out from this monthly challenge 🙂 I would love to be able to do it on a new silk!

Silks Stars Team

HiThere! It looks like the wrap around the thigh has slid down the leg a bit too much, making it even more difficult to hold the tail and complete the marchenko shape. We think a longer silk would definitely help you out! 3-4 feet is the minimum recommendation for floor tail, but more would for sure be better. In the July video, our silks are about 25 feet and rigging height is 18. Hope this helps!!

Rbatignani
      Participant

Feeling accomplished today! Ran the routine to music today! Has some fine tuning but I’m loving this routine! https://www.silksstars.com/community/rbatignani/media/1246/

tguthrie
      Participant

Hi guys! So I’m super stoked to (slowly) be getting back into silks after partially dislocating my left shoulder back in May (not aerial-related, I literally just fell out of bed and landed weird…sigh). This month I’ve mostly been focused on getting my strength back, but today I was able to work on the July challenge a bit! There are still a bunch of things I can’t do (hence the awkward one-handed Marchenko), but I tried my best to make that look like an intentional choreographic decision and not a “crap that hurts, abort mission” type thing 😜
      Please excuse my technical difficulties with kicking the tail in the meat hook, as well as the strugglebus that was separating the poles (despite those things this was the best overall video for showing the actual skills). Also please forgive my microbends and other various fumbling, like I said I’m still working on getting back to where I was. I had some trouble building and maintaining spin today, but watching my videos back I think if I keep my right hand lower on the pole so that my body is more horizontal, that will probably help, especially since I’m less likely to smack myself with the tail that way. If you have any other tips or feedback, that’d be greatly appreciated! Thanks 😊
      https://www.silksstars.com/community/tguthrie/media/

Silks Stars Team

Really nice job here, especially recovering from shoulder injury! Everything you said is spot on, keep up the great work!

tguthrie
        Participant

Thanks so much for the encouragement!! It means a lot coming from you guys 🙂
        I was able to work on it again today, and since I’ll be out of town for the rest of the week the video from today will be my final submission for this month. I was able to mostly fix the spin, but I still lost it a bit coming out of the cupid. It was stupid hot out today so I was a bit sweaty/sticky but I made it work.

susi
      Participant

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CRwJEEXDam3/?utm_medium=copy_link I made a quick brake on.my staycation to reinterpretate this July challenge, this time with Chopin. And took the chance to clean that meathook. Same routine, different music, different feeling, same kind of love.

Silks Stars Team

Wonderful interpretation Susi!

susi
        Participant

Thank you so much! 😍😍🙏

LauraDP
      Participant

Hi I’m back! this is me learning the july combination..
      JULY
      any tips on the drop? seems like my beat it’s not enough.
      Any other suggestion is well accepted! thanks

Silks Stars Team

Looking good so far! Yes, add a bit more “tempo” to your beat. Also- when sitting up from the drop, think about extending your wrapped leg a bit more away from your body. Keep up the great work!

KamilaK
      Participant

hi guys, thanks very much. Great help re silks hight & rigging!

I set the routine to music, and I hope to do another run on Saturday to show you all the choreography I plan to use for the 2nd half of the song. In case I’m not able to get a good video of the whole thing by then, here’s this month’s routine set to the 1st half. Any tips for improvement appreciated! July Submission

Silks Stars Team

Wonderful. Love your song choice! The only thing I’d say is think about the line of the foot when you wrap the left leg near the beginning. Overall fantastic work!

susi
      Participant

Hi guys! This might sound quite silly but I just wanted to share how happy and grateful I am to be part of this community! Big Hug to embrace us all in Silks Stars! 🙂

Yvan
        Participant

It’s not silly at all! I feel exactly the same ❤️🙆🏻‍♂️. I was recently reflecting about the last year (it’s soon the 1 year anniversary of the launching of this beautiful platform) and SilksStars played THE vital role in my life during the pandemic to help me stay motivated in my physical practice to get through the lockdowns. I feel very fortunate for the guidance we are receiving. Great job guys!

FedeMe
        Participant

I have also been here since the beginning, although I never participated in the conversations, just read and watched you all in silence 🙂
        I also take the opportunity to thank for this community, it helped me a lot as well during the pandemic keeping the motivation up.
        I started exploring the artistic part of this discipline thanks to the feedbacks, it is now amazing to work with music, feelings, intentions and artistry. It turned my trainings into special moments, uncovering emotions and parts of my personalities still hidden. It may sound silly as well, but I am really grateful for this! ♥️

Silks Stars Team

This is all so wonderful to hear. We are so grateful for all of you!

Silks Stars Team

This is all so wonderful to hear. We are so grateful for all of you!

karenfox
      Participant

Hi all,

Likewise, I am inspired by being a member of this group, even as I re-organize my time so that I can be more present.

Missed the deadline for July’s challenge, as I pulled my R piriformis again. Yet, the combination is fun, and the drop was so much easier than my mind was making it.

Karen

Jenny
      Participant

Just to add to the comments from @yvanlp @fedeMe @susi and @karenfox I am so grateful and inspired by Rachel, Brett and my silks stars peers…. LOVE this platform and what it has provided me in my fitness, motivation , accountability , artistry . ❤️

Caro
      Participant

Hi team. So I’m late to the party on this one. But today I tried the July challenge for the first time. I always love figuring out wraps, it’s like a brain puzzle – following exactly what wraps where and how. Here is my attempt from this first session on it. Keen to get any tips and feedback. I did find that I slipped quite a bit after the tick tock continuing to when you split the silks and face the other way and spin. It didn’t feel super stable, like I was slowly slipping down the silks. Anyway to stop this? Also I’m still getting a feel for where and how my body is supposed to move in space after I beat and throwback in the tootsie roll. https://www.silksstars.com/community/caro/media/1329/

Silks Stars Team

Looking great Caro! Yes, this one does slide a bit. Be sure to wear grippy fabric pants, or apply a little rosin. The more you practice, the less you will slide. Also remember to squeeze those inner thighs like crazy. You got this!

Caro
        Participant

Oh thanks – great tips.

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.