February 2022

Forums Monthly Challenges February 2022

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Silks Stars Team

Option 1: Eggbeater Straddle Back to Ankle Hang
      Option 2: Straddle Back to Knee Hang (mini-rig)
      Share your comments, questions, and work from this month’s combination below!

Yvan
      Participant

Wow! Again a beyond awesome combo! And funnily enough I was working on that same pull up throughout January…

What a nice synchronicity! ❤️🙆🏻‍♂️

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

Just did the Gorgeous Gams workout and … WOW!! Now that I have the cramps worked out, I do feel gorgeous!!! Can’t decide if I want to climb or go out in a mini skirt!!! 🤣 Thank you Sarah and Silks Stars!

Cathy
      Participant

The download option is not available for the full sequence, only the mini rig version. Can you enable it please? Thank you!

Silks Stars Team

Thanks for catching that Cathy, it is downloadable now!

Manon
      Participant

What height do we need for the full sequence ?

Silks Stars Team

Hi Manon, we recommend at least 16feet of height for the full sequence, and 3 full climbs before starting the wrap.

Yvan
      Participant

Hello beautiful people! This month I am early working on the combo. I did the drop today which you can see down below and I have several questions:

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/2052/

1. Just before the drop when the feet are between the poles… do the tails need to be around the ankles at their highest? Naturally I get them around the feet and then I need to do an awkwsrd move (which you see in the video) to bring them down but is that required?

2. During the drop, even though I always land inside the poles, I half of the time catch one of the silks and create a weird slack tale around one of the feet. I believe this happens when I close the legs? Is that correct? Do we need to drop with the legs hip width apart?

Thanks again for this awesome combo! All further feedback welcome!

Silks Stars Team

Just gorgeous Yvan! Sarah will go over these issues in this weeks Q and A. Great work so far!

Silks Stars Team

This just in from Sarah!

1. Ideally, when initially doing the triple eggbeaters, all 3 wraps should land at or above the ankles & not on the feet/heels. Feel free to flex the feet after wrapping to keep them there, then as you invert, you can even point the toes up to the ceiling momentarily to allow gravity to drop them even more.
        2. Yes, you are 100% correct — you’re catching the tails because the feet are too close together. So, putting them hip width apart should totally fix that 🙂

Yvan
        Participant

Ow thanks! That makes total sense! And indeed the hip width apart helped the issue :). I have a further question regarding the positioning of the neck during the drop. My short experience doing this drop is teaching me the neck should be tucked in during the drop to avoid whiplash… is that correct? Sometimes I focus on trying to sync the end of the drop with the letting go of the arms and in doing that I forget about my neck… not a pleasant feeling! Would love for Sarah to talk about this during the q&a. Thanks!

Caro
        Participant

Oh I’ve started catching the tails on the way down. I wonder if that’s my problem too. I’ll try to keep the feet apart more to see if it helps. I can’t tell from the videos if I am but I wouldn’t be surprised, we spend so much time trying to keep them together in other moves and drops!

Jenny
      Participant

Hello guys. I have a question about the flamenco grip to crossback/pullup. My shoulders totally disagree with this move….even just the reaching around and up to the poles feels very unattainable. I think it might be a mobility issue for me. I am trying to think of other creative ways of getting into cross back straddle. I only have until Feb 10 to train this combo cause I am getting eye surgery on the 11th which forbids me to do any exerting for 6 weeks 😭 So I want to maximize my next (hopefully 2-3) trainings and try to submit something for Feb. Got any suggestions?

Silks Stars Team

Hi Jenny!
        How do you usually get into cross back straddle?

Jenny
        Participant

I usually get into cross back straddle from beoman seat (the one we did in Brandon’s combo just before corkscrew). but of course that one involves footlocks. I can try to do just regular grip and scootch up and through…I think Sarah’s version with flamenco grip is shoulder and wrist mobility for me… and maybe where the poles are placed when I cut through. I can’t figure out why that moment is so hard and precarious feeling ( especially on my left shoulder which has had surgery years ago) I will play around with it tonight again

Silks Stars Team

It is just fine to get into the cross back straddle in whatever way works for your shoulder. Just make it artistic!

Jenny
        Participant

Copy that! 😉

Ogie
      Participant

I love Sarah’s drop choreo, did it today and it is exciting! I love the crochet hands entry in cross back and I love the skin the cat exit also. Both I cannot master yet, work in progress, but I would love to learn this. And I love the sternum tip, giving length to the upperbody really makes a difference.

Some questions:

Eggbeater Straddle Back to Ankle Hang
      1) How can I start the drop moving forwards?
      (my leg should remain piked, my hands are on my legs, so what gives leverage to start dropping forward? My shoulders are heavy,
      so if I bent my body/head forward, it is not enough momentum to start dropping forwards. Tips?
      2) can you demo the alternative exit after the drop (without the skin the cat)?
      3) is there a way to train the skin the exit without having to do the whole drop?
      4) Any tips on the crochet hands into cross back straddle, my shoulders get stuck (had same fight last month 😉 ).
      5) What will happen if by accident you drop backwards instead of forwards?

Straddle Back to Knee Hang (mini-rig)
      1) half the time when I step in after the eggbeater, I step my foot only partly in, e.g. stuck toes, etc. Any tips?
      2) The exit to split at the end, I have problems doing this controlled (tend to look the wrong site). Tips?
      3) if I invert to cross back straddle, the poles never go over my hip/bum, and I have to pull it down with my hand. that is not looking nice. Tips to get it one go?

Silks Stars Team

Wonderful questions Rogier! Sarah will go over all this at the Q and A on Thursday.

Chriskers
      Participant

I have a question. I’m able to do the flamenco grip cross back straddle from one climb but not up in the air. Is this an arm strength issue? Also, I’m terrified of the drop once I’m in position. Is there a way to walk it down? Thanks!

Chriskers
        Participant

What happens if I can’t make the QnA Thursday because of work? 😆

Silks Stars Team

Hi! You will be able to watch the replay!

Beatrice
        Participant

If it’s helpful, tonight I accidentally found that after bringing my feet down in the first half of the drop, if I stay in a pike instead of opening up to a flat body it significantly slowed down the second part of drop and made it feel a lot less scary!

ksamuelscrow
      Participant

I won’t be able to make it to the Q&A, but I have a couple of questions:

1) I am quite sure my shoulders can’t handle the exit from the drop – is there an alternate exit?
      2) It’s been awhile since I did egg beaters, and mine are suddenly absolutely terrible – any tips? Is another foot lock acceptable (especially if we opt for the mini-rig version – see question 1)?

Silks Stars Team

Hi there-
        You can watch the Q and A replay whenever it’s convenient for you- and Sarah will go over all of this then.

Continue
      Participant

Hi everyone!

This is my first day of doing this lovely sequence. Any thoughts or suggestions is welcome 😊

Cathy
      Participant

I also have issues with the flamenco grip to cross back straddle. My wrists just don’t have the flexibility on my dominant side and my non dominant side can get around the pole but just doesn’t have enough strength for the pull up. Any tips to help?

Caro
      Participant

Hi team. I tried this last week. Couldn’t get past the pull up stage. The flamenco grip was fine but I didn’t seem to have the strength to pull up?! Any hints on what you’re thinking of engaging in what order and hints for drills or practice pathways? I’ll see if I can get a vid so you can see what’s happening.

Caro
        Participant

Hey team just watched the replay and this one didn’t get covered except to say you could do it the non- flamenco grip way. I’m pretty keen on at least trying to learn the flamenco grip way. Get to learn something new, beautiful and useful! So my questions still are:
        – after you flamenco grip what muscles are you thinking of engaging to pull up and invert and in what order
        – are there drills or exercises we could do to strengthen the muscles we need for this or to help?
        Thank you team

Ogie
        Participant

Great question Caro. I am wondering the same. In my next training after the call I am still struggling with it and I refuse to give up. I want to learn this flamingo grip way. Tips on muscle, timing and drills would be very helpful!

Caro
        Participant

Some progress here on the cross back pull up. Any further tips on progress welcome. https://www.silksstars.com/community/caro/media/2062/ still to introduce the spin. Also I did feel a bit unbalanced at the top and once I almost toppled backwards (instead of forwards).

Silks Stars Team

Hello Silks Stars!

-Be sure that you have some distance from the rigging, so the overhead space isn’t too tight.
        -Practicing in regular double foot locks (instead of egg beaters) will be a bit easier in the beginning stage of learning this pull up.
        -Engage the middle of your back and press away/simultaneously engage your lower core and begin to lift legs.
        -A practice drill- lay on the floor with a loop band. Press the band outward while bringing your legs up and over in a slight straddle.

Caro- your progress looks great. Please refer back to the Q and A regrading balance in that position. The team goes over balance points in detail.

Silks Stars Team

That section begins at about 23:30.

Nadine
      Participant

Hi, I have two questions for today’s Q&A. I am working on the mini-rig version.

1. I struggle with getting the shape after the crossback straddle consistently. I pull up, I bring my right leg to the middle, but I struggle to do the same for my left. It becomes this weird wiggle. Any tips?
      2. Positioning the x behind my knees for the knee hang doesn’t always work out. I only know once I let go if I hit the right spot. If there are additional tips what to look for, that would be great.

Thanks!

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/jill-b-lovin-aerial/media/2053/
      Here is where I am currently with this challenge. Would LOVE some feedback on how I can improve! One question I have is in the arched pose with the feet up and in between the poles, it looks like Sarah’s feet are together and that is so much prettier than my separated feet but I feel like I need to ouch out on the poles to be secure. How can I improve this? Also, I feel very clunky on the push back before the knee hang. I understand Sarah’s body is perfection and I have given birth to 4 children 🤣 , but any suggestions on how to get these breeder hips through any better? 🤣 Last question… for now 😜, can I get some tips on getting out of last split better. Mine looks a little struggly, OH and I second the request of a way to walk this drop down. Going to try to get home early enough to join Q & A, but wanted to leave questions here just in case I don’t get home in time. THANK YOU!

Robin
      Participant

Hi all! I tried the mini rig version but now that I have seen others do the drop I feel braver. I have lived on a boat for a year so could only do mini rig version occasionally. Glad to be home!! Catch up time. Here’s my attempt at mini rig version. Any tips welcome (even on how the drop felt for when I try it!) I can’t quite see where the tails are held before the drop. Outside the knees ? UPDATE: once I tried it it made sense. I reach between poles and hold with tension near outside of knees. It wasn’t as painful as I thought!
      Update again: I now have filmed my attempt at the version with a drop. I need to fix my invert to cross back, work on my transition to the drop, and balance better at the end after skin the cat.
      Tips welcome! https://www.silksstars.com/community/robin/media/2061/

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Robin.
      • This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Robin. Reason: Still nervous to try it!
        Silks Stars Team

Hi Robin! Wonderful progress so far. Keep up the good work!

Tancafaire
      Participant

Hi, How do I access the question and answer for this month’s challenge? I don’t remember receiving a password in my emails. My problem is that I get extra loops around the feet when I land after the drop. Thanks

Silks Stars Team

Go to the “community” tab, scroll down to Live Q and A. You can find the password under “monthly challenges”. Go to February, there is a paragraph about the Q and A before the video tutorials. The password will be there. It is Dive for this month.

susi
      Participant

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=5188958154481709&id=100001027263012
      Hi! I tried the ankle drop withou the swivel to gain some cm but still my head was to close to the floor 🤣🤣 so, minirig version with a little introduction and dedicated to my hubby as we’re in Valentine’s month!Love rules! 😍😘 Of course I wish some details were cleaner… but I’ m getting use to that feeling 🙄😬 And I’m also happy I didn’t have to wait to last day of the month to submit the video 😂😂! Sending love to all of you 🙌♥️

Beatrice
        Participant

Wow, this is so beautiful Susi!

susi
        Participant

Hi Beatrice! Thank you 😃🥰🙏

Dorag
      Participant

Hi everyone!
      I tried the February combination for the first time yesterday and found out it was impossible for me to pull myself into the crossback inversion.
      I probably won’t have any more training time this month but I would like to learn this skill in the future.
      Here is my struggle:
      https://www.silksstars.com/community/dorag/media/2068/

Thanks for any pointers and suggestions on what I should focus on, change or improve.

Silks Stars Team

Hi Dora!
        It looks like more of an arch with the very top of your upper back initially, before you begin to bring the legs up will help. Thinking the inversion is happening just a bit too soon.

Dorag
        Participant

Thank you!
        I will try arching back before the inversion but I feel stuck in that position with the cross already behind my neck…like there is no other movement possible except to lift the legs.

Silks Stars Team

Have you tried to scoot one shoulder, then quickly the other?

Dorag
        Participant

Yes, that worked a few times but I was already inverted and it looked horrible.
        I will try that before inverting.

Silks Stars Team

Also try separating your feet sooner as well.

Dorag
        Participant

I haven’t thought about separating the legs before but it makes sense. I suppose it should take some weight off the poles that I’m pulling on.
        Thanks! I can’t wait to try it out!

Silks Stars Team

Great! Let us know how it goes!

Beatrice
      Participant

Hello everyone! Very excited to be back at silk stars after missing last month (I was away camping for most of Jan so couldn’t get into a studio).

I had a go tonight and am really enjoying the sequence, I think two main areas I’m struggling with are similar to others:

1. Flamenco grip to cross back – I get stuck with the cross at the neck and can’t get my shoulders through. Suspect it might be a combination of not pulling up enough, and maybe not arching my upper back enough? Sometimes I’m able to get one shoulder through, but then the other one gets stuck! Any tips would be very welcome.

2. After the drop, the silk feels like it’s really squeezing my calf and not sliding down to the ankle. It feels like that might be occurring because I’m flexing too hard – I know Sarah mentions not to point until you’re holding the poles coming back up to exit, but I’m wondering whether it would work to point once I’m in the hang so the silk slides down further? Or whether it doesn’t matter if it stays on the calf (other than being a bit uncomfortable, it doesn’t really affect anything).

Here’s my best take for the night.

Thanks for another super fun challenge!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Beatrice.
        Silks Stars Team

Really gorgeous work, Beatrice! Glad to have you back this month.
        1. Pull up as much as you can and arch your upper back simultaneously. Also- separate your feet a bit sooner during the pull up/arch action.
        2. It doesn’t matter except discomfort for the calf grip. Maybe try with leggings that slide a bit more?

Keep up the good work!

Beatrice
        Participant

Thank you so much, arching and separating my feet sooner made a big difference! I can now get the straddle 50% of the time instead of 0% 😅 My right shoulder still gets stuck sometimes, but the movement is making a lot more sense. Here’s my final submission – thanks for another fun challenge!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Beatrice.
Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.