December 2020

Forums Monthly Challenges December 2020

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      Silks Stars Team

Back Dive to Wheeldown: Share your comments, questions, and work from this month’s combination below!

Janice
      Participant

As per email, we are encouraged to use music with a Christmas theme. For those who’ll submit after Dec 25, can we use some new year themed music instead :

Silks Stars Team

Great question Janice! Absolutely! You can interpret ‘holiday’ however you like. Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Winter Solstice, Las Posadas, Chinese New Year (and other holidays we are certainly forgetting!) all have unique music so whatever holiday music inspires you personally will be perfect.

Elleb
      Participant

After the back dive the silks are low across my hips instead of across my waist/lower back. Any tips on how to get the silks a little higher for the wheeldown?

Silks Stars Team

Hi Elle, the more power/speed you have in the Back Dive the more likely the silks will cinch higher on your waist, this will also help to smooth the transition. Think of arching back and lifting the chest in the Dive to add power.

Elleb
        Participant

Thank you! Here’s hoping for a couple nice days in the next few weeks so I can get out and try these tips!!

Caro
        Participant

Oh great to have these tips, I tried it for the first time yesterday and had the same problem.

Yvan
        Participant

Me too! The silk stays half way after the back dive forcing me to stop in the transition to wheeldown but once I straddle the legs to start teh wheeldown the silk comes nicely to my hips on its own. Thanks for the tips! I will try today to back dive with more power 🙂

Silks Stars Team

Great to hear Yvan!

LauraDP
      Participant

wow this month’s challenge is really a challenge! how much height do you need to do only the back dive safely? I can do almost three full climb on the rig I’m using. I’ll also start training only the back dive which is completely new to me, is it dangerous if I don’t switch hands quickly? does it slide a lot?

Silks Stars Team

Hi Laura, 3 climbs is enough to do the back dive safely. As long as you keep contact with the tail in some form you will be safe. Keep tension on the tail to avoid sliding

Caro
      Participant

What a coincidence I was just looking to learn this backdive to controlled roll. Is it a backwards wrap to the controlled roll (wheeldown) that you get from a normal s-wrap entry?

Yvan
        Participant

I have not tried it yet but the wheeldown knot after the backdive looks to me like a Z-wrap (a mirrored S-wrap), so different from the normal S-wrap entry.

Silks Stars Team

Yes this is not a traditional S wrap in that it is reversed. Please take note of the exits that Rachel teaches at the end of the tutorial

Caro
        Participant

Any tips on wheeldown in that position – I can normally do a wheeldown from a traditional s wrap but I’m finding the silks cinche more around my waist in this wrap (instead of on my upper hips), and the whole thing feels quite different – making the wheeldown challenging.

Caro
      Participant

Also I didn’t receive an email about the December challenge? Was that supposed to come through? I checked spam and trash but nothing.

Silks Stars Team

The December Challenge email is going out in the morning, November 30th, PST 🙂

Janice
      Participant

With ceiling height of 12feet, where “workable” actual Silks is only 10.5 feet, I am worried I don’t have enough height anymore after I do the back dive (ie. No more height for a wheeldown….. unless I climb back up). I look forward to seeing the workaround for this in the Dec 11 crowdcast video. Thanks.

Silks Stars Team

Absolutely Janice, we will discuss this during the Q & A but for now you can practice them separately

Yvan
      Participant

Today was my first success grabbing back the pole after the back dive 🤩

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/

Silks Stars Team

This looks really good Yvan! Now just work on smoothing out the transition into the Wheeldown, very nice!

Kary
      Participant

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIkHJzfAYhk/?igshid=1kdcl5cfl8esa

Esta feo pero sigo trabajando en ello 😋

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Kary.
        Silks Stars Team

Good start here Kary! Keep working on rotating all the way around in the back dive!

Caro
      Participant

December early attempts back dive to wheeldown This is a good challenge for me. Any hints from watching this early attempt here? I definitely don’t have the feel of it yet! And as I mentioned in the comment above once I’m in the wheeldown position I’m not used to the alternative wrap with the tail coming down on the other side of the pole. The wrap seems to cinch in at my waist (normally I wheeldown with it around my upper hips) making the balance quite difficult. Thanks!

Silks Stars Team

Good start here Caro!Try to lift the torso up at the end of the Back Dive (think of keeping the legs down also) and keep drilling the Wheeldown, it’s coming along!

Niksa
      Participant

Hi just tried the new combination and I found two problematic points:
      Here is the video: First attempt December challenge

1. how do you ensure the tail is high on the thigh? I tried to straddle and bring legs up to slide it upwards but I still need to reach for it and readjust
      2. Do I do the backdive ok? I think I fall more sideways than back

Silks Stars Team

Hi Niksa, this looks really good! The tail gets high on the thigh by lifting the left thigh – I like to think of it more as a Hip Key sweep versus the Straddle that you did in this video as it seems a bit easier to get it higher this way. There is a certain amount of adjustment that is usually needed to the tail before the Back Dive. The Back Dive itself looks good, You are leading a little with your left side which is making it more of a Cartwheel, try squaring your shoulders to the pole before you dive back to help with this. Really nice work!

Niksa
        Participant

Thanks a lot! I filmed my final attempt early, beacuse I will be going to my hometown for christmas and I won’t have access to silks. Here it is: December Challenge. Enjoy!

Yvan
      Participant

My video as promised in crowdcast… Still lots to clean up in the wheeldown 😅

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Yvan.
        Silks Stars Team

Looking good Yvan! Transition from Back Dive is pretty clean, keep pointing the toes and working on smoothing out that Wheeldown rotation. Looking forward to seeing more!

Caro
      Participant

Thanks for the crowdcast! It’s so interesting you mentioned readjusting the tail before the dive and using the hip-key (we call it hip lock). I’d noticed that you lean to the side/ sort of hip key when you scoop the tail through and I’d tried it a couple of days ago and it made a big difference to getting right around on my dive. I think it meant that the silks were higher up and thus the rotating point was higher towards my waist and not lower down near the bottom of my booty. Was there any other adjustment you were talking about?

Silks Stars Team

Thats great Caro, yes that is exactly what i meant about the scoop/Hip Key before the Back Dive, so glad it helped! – Rachel

Gretchen
      Participant

Has anyone else had any issues with holes being burned in their fabric from the wheeldown? I just got new aerial fabric the other day & tried it out for the first time today. I practiced the back dive to wheeldown a few times and noticed a bunch of burn holes!

I’m soooo bummed! I just emailed the company that I got it from so I’ll see what they have to say. I’m questioning the quality of the fabric since this literally happened within the first 15 min of using it. I know there’s a bit of friction during the wheeldown, but still!

Silks Stars Team

Hi Gretchen, sorry to hear that about your fabric! That is most unusual, I would suggest returning the fabric as it seems the quality is not up to par.

Yvan
      Participant

Thanks a lot for your feedback! I just posted my final submission for this month. The Netherlands goes into total lockdown from 15th Dec (starting tonight) to 19th Jan 😪. This is the best I could record in the time I had. Thanks again for such a beautiful sequence and Merry Christmas everybody! ❤️🎄 I will focus on floor work the coming 5 weeks 💪🤸🏻🧘🏻‍♂️

Silks Stars Team

Thank you Yvan, best wishes too you, stay safe!

VictorSzeto
      Participant

Trying the back dive for the first time. I’m noticing the part right before the dive where my legs are wrapped are a bit of a nutcracker. Question for the gentlemen… what am I doing wrong!? I’m finding myself doing the readjustment dance and I haven’t figured out the elegant way to make look like I’m not. And yes, I’m wearing support.

Yvan
        Participant

If you post a video I can try to help you! When I was first learning the wrap on the floor I had a similar issue but when I took it to the air the issue went away. I think that it is important to straddle the legs while doing the wrap to create space (specially when diving around to pick up the tale with the leg). That s what I found working for me. Also trying to wrap maybe a bit lower on the thigh helps creating extra space and once you are all set for the back dive, keep the legs maximally lenghened so that the part of the wrap on the thigh supports ur weight. Maybe this helps?

VictorSzeto
        Participant

Hi Yvan. Thanks for the quick advice. I posted a video on my profile to show my struggles! I’m hoping to improve on it next week. I didn’t see your comment until after I tried it but will definitely work on the straddle. I’m scared if I wrap too low on my thigh, I won’t stay vertical very long, but worth trying out.

Silks Stars Team

Hi Victor, we left some notes on your profile video, Back Dive is looking good, keep working on the transition into Wheeldown

VictorSzeto
        Participant

Thanks for the notes! I think I figured out a way to wiggle myself into the dive after all. New video posted, and final submission for this month.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by VictorSzeto.
      Eiz
      Participant

This month’s really challenging! I have 2 tries in my vid here and I’m having a dilemma with the transition to wheeldown. Any tips? 😅

Silks Stars Team

Hi Eiz, the first Back Dive in particular looks good (lots of power and rotation), now work on engaging your core and keeping legs super straight as you transition to the Wheeldown. Try to anticipate the slide/small drop into the Z Wrap/Reverse S Wrap and don’t collapse the legs. Keep up the good work!

Eiz
        Participant

Thanks, will take note of it. Is there any advise for keeping the wheeldown low on hips? In my bad back dive (2nd try) the loops sat pretty low on the hips and i was kind of able to make the wheeldown. With the good backdive it goes up to my torso and cinches my upper body making it hard to do wheeldown 😭

Silks Stars Team

Yes unfortunately the more power your Back Dive has the more likely the wrap will be high on your hips (but the transition will be much smoother!) i would suggest keep working on the Wheeldown with the higher wrap (as demonstrated in the Q&A with the Z-Wrap Wheeldown)

KamilaK
      Participant

Hello everyone, I wanted to say thank you to Rachel for an amazing ‘leg up’ class! I miss ballet elements in my training (so good for the lines!) so it was so nice to see it being part of conditioning. Thanks for giving us an option to submit the class instead of the challenge, that is motivating to at least submit something (here in the Uk we are still very restricted, aerial studios closed where I am and refuse any self-practice, very cold outside so also can’t use my rigging point in the garden). Hope we can keep growing and learning through the winter months somehow!

Silks Stars Team

Thanks so much Kamila! I’m glad you have been enjoying the class! Stay safe (and warm) 🙂 – Rachel

LauraDP
      Participant

Hi! It’s been really a rainy month so only a few days ago I had the chance to go back to train outside. Sadly this is my first and last try for this month because I’m in quarantine since my boyfriend,a nurse, is positive to COVID-19. Now I’m alone hoping I have not contracted the virus too so I can be out soon.
      I post here my terrible attempt to do the modified version of the challenge. Every suggestion is accepted since I’m going to try it again in the future! Especially I need help on the wheeldown, that’s why I recorded that part two times. It seems like I can’t complete the turn without the help of my hand!

First and only try

Silks Stars Team

Nice attempt her Laura! The back dive variation was lovely. For the Wheeldown try to flow the transition more (threading the leg). Your Star shape was nice and the leg line also, keep engaging the core as you rotate to help with multiple rotations. So sorry to hear about your boyfriend, hang in there, things will get better soon.

LauraDP
        Participant

thanks a lot <3

phoenixdreamtrap
      Participant

Hi Brett and Rachel,
      I’ve been struggling with a flare up of an old TFCC injury affecting my left wrist resulting in some pain/weakness over the past couple weeks. For the back dive, I’m wondering whether it’s ok to bring the tail to the right side prior to the drop like this so I can hold it with my right hand instead? Thanks!

Attempt #1

Silks Stars Team

Yes that is totally fine, take care of your wrist!
        Give your Back Dive a little more energy to help with the rotation 😉

phoenixdreamtrap
        Participant

Thankyou! I will keep working on it for the rest of the month 🥰

Ali_beau
      Participant

Merry Grinchmas!!

Happy Holidays everyone! I hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable month! Its fun to see everyone get in the holiday spirit!

– Ali

Hey, I actually have a video to upload for tips before the due date (only by a couple of days, I know, but still I feel good about it after this crazy month) haha! I feel pretty good about this attempt compared to my first few, but I would love any tips you can give me to see if I’m able to clean this up over the next couple of days. I may even include an attempt at a costume! This was definitely a great and challenging combination, Rachel and Brett! Also, I love anything that can be used on rope as well! The “get a leg up” workout was awesome and definitely something I will train in the future. Thank you so much guys!

December combination

Silks Stars Team

Love love this Kittie, great work! Back Dive was gorgeous and Wheeldown nice and clean. See if you can flow that transition in between a little more (perhaps a little faster?) although your body position/leg line was really nice. Some additional details: Experiment with more energy through the arms and fingers on landings (end of the Wheeldown for example). Awesome work!

My final attempt was unsuccessfully not as good as this, but it makes me feel better that you guys awarded me 5 stars for this entry! Thank you so much for everything!

susi
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/susi/media/421/
      Hi! Merry Christmas! Want to wish you all big dreams, huge hearts full of confidence and love, good health and abundance of what you love the most! I’m so grateful for this community and sll the sharing! Thank you! 😘

Silks Stars Team

Thank you Susi, Happy Holidays to you too!

AmyFlory
      Participant

Hey everyone! Happy new year! I can’t wait to be training silks more regularly but am loving these challenges to give me some fabric focus each month. Here’s me being a bit goofy this month! In anticipation of the #1 question…I have no idea how my Santa hat stayed on during this and the several backdives beforehand, LOL!

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.