August 2022

Forums Monthly Challenges August 2022

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • Author
      Silks Stars Team

Option 1: Single-Arm to Stand-Out Star Drop
      Option 2: Single-Arm to Stand-Out Half-Turn
      Share your comments, questions, and work from this month’s combination below!

Yvan
      Participant

Oh là là what an exquisite routine! ❤️

Jill.b.lovin.aerial
      Participant

WOW! WOW!! WOW!!!! 🤩

Ogie
      Participant

What a cool and powerful new choreo, and great to see Brandon Scott again as guest instructor.

Auriol
      Participant

This month looks like a fun challenge!

susi
      Participant

I love this choreo, I hope I can find the time and a place to practice it! 😍😍

Jenny
      Participant

WOOT! very exciting choreo to work on….I Ama big fan of Brandon’s style!

Elleb
      Participant

Oh Wow!! 🤩
      So excited about another Brandon Scott challenge! Can’t wait to get started.

@14:33 when Brandon says “Now here’s the tricky part” 🤣… I would counter there are a few tricky parts before then 😉

Yvan
      Participant

Hi!
      I have a question regarding “the tricky part”. I usually manage to “force” the move by squeezing the leg through. Somehow it feels as if I am not able to clear my butt which then gets on the way of the rond de jambe blocking the rotation. I attach a small video from that section (my best attempt so far) and maybe you have some guidance for further improvement? Maybe the height of the arms? Or the coordination between extending the hip and adducting the leg?
      Thanks a lot!! 🙂❤️

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/2717/

Silks Stars Team

Yes, definitely try with a higher reach for a bit more clearance!

Beatrice
      Participant

Hello! Here’s my best attempt, from my second practice session tonight. I’m pretty happy with how it’s feeling so far, and have to say I especially loved the drills this month! Was a bit worried about the wrist lock sequence as I have a janky right shoulder, but after doing the ground workout and shoulder drills, everything feels super happy even after running through the sequence multiple times. Thank you Brandon!

Couple of comments/questions:

1. Wrist lock – I’m still really struggling to get the lock on cleanly. This is probably mostly just needing more practice, but I also feel like I’ll fall out of the thigh lock if I reach up higher or use my other hand to help get the lock. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

2. Sioux Sioux – when initially doing the twist I got knee pain in my supporting leg, though this went away with turning the supporting leg out more and really leaning down to get the pole across my hips rather than back. Is there anything else i should pay attention to or avoid to prevent this pain?

3. The tricky part – like Yvan, I struggled with the ronde de jamb and feeling like I had enough space. I found it worked better when I really pushed back with my glutes, then crunched sideways to make more space, however it’s definitely still not clean. Sometimes my foot also gets stuck in the tension lock (example in video). Any tips would be wonderful!

I’m sure I’ll have more questions (esp once I get up to refining the drop) but this has already been so much fun to play with. Thanks again!

Silks Stars Team

Brandon will go over all these great questions in next week’s Q & A!

Ogie
      Participant

Hi, Great to see Brandon again, and what a nice choreo, I love the hanging on one arm part and the pose before the wheel down. One question about the shoulder turn in the Sioux Sioux lock, when you are hanging on your left arm and need to rotate your shoulder past the pole (see picture). I have not a lot of backbend nor shoulder mobility, I place my hand as high as possible, but I feel a strong friction on my wrist and shoulder. Any tips to smoothen this?

Ogie
        Participant

shoulderturn

Ogie
        Participant

Placing left hand high and Keeping elbow straight helps. If i bent my elbow i limit the range of motion in my shoulder.

Ogie
      Participant

Second question for the last part, before the wheel down. when you hang with the pole behind your back handsfree. My center of gravity is towards my shoulders, my upper body has the tendency to go down while my legs go up… i backbend as far as I can…. Any tips?

Ogie
        Participant

hands free hang

Ogie
        Participant

I figured this one out. Backbending and looking up really helps me.

Ogie
        Participant

Big thank you to @yvanlp for giving these tips

HaleneW
      Participant

I’m excited for another Brandon challenge…he clearly has a Silks Stars fan club here 😆 This looks like it will be a bunch of fun. My challenge thus far has been the wrist lock (not necessarily getting into it unless I’m doing it wrong). The dang thing hurts my wrist while hanging from it and is very uncomfortable. Not sure if it’s because my wrist is so tiny (it’s 5.75″ around) or if it’s just how the wrap is sitting on my wrist. I’ve thought about getting the wrap on and then holding above the ‘pillow,’ but that seems like it would be a bit grippy? Any suggestions?

Cathy
      Participant

I’m also having difficulty with the arm hang portion. I can get into it but it’s very aggressive on my wrist. Then I have trouble transitioning from that and getting my feet over my other hand on the silks. I’m not sure if it’s a strength or leverage issue but I’ve been just climbing out of the wrist lock after a few struggle attempts to transition. I’m going to need every day this month to practice this one!

Silks Stars Team

Hi Guys!
      For the wrist lock- definitely drill that at a lower height with feet just off the ground. Play with placing it closer to/more on your hand, and switching hands for balance. Brandon will have more detailed tips on Thursday!

LauraDP
      Participant

hi! beautiful choreo brandon!
      for me it’s not easy, I still can’t do the flag part, my hand opens and I have to go back to the ground. Second part is better except for the “tricky” part where I really struggle with my big butt 😀
      Need more time to work on the wheeldown too but it’s the trick I love the most paired with the stand out so I must learn it!

LauraDP
      Participant
      Manon
      Participant

I’m having a hard time to invert for the S-wrap. I’m a little bit tired at that point and I feel stock. Any advice ?

Chris
      Participant

Such a fun challenge this month! For me, the toughest parts are the transition out of the wrist lock, and later on, the stand out into the wheel down. Sometimes the wrap in the stand out gets particularly squeezy. I’m thinking more core engagement might help, but any other hints would be great!

Ogie
      Participant

Question about the second cash climb, when you are only in a tigh hitch and want to go to the wrist lock/hitch. I slide down if the tigh hitch is only on my leg. I push my top leg down but this does not help. Tips to prevent sliding? Good challenge this one, lots of technical details to straighten out 😁

Janice
      Participant

Hi. This is a great unique sequence, thanks! I have 2 questions:

A) For the wrist lock, you taught these 4 steps-
      Step 1: Arm around
      Step 2: Arm up over pole
      Step 3: thumb under tail
      Step 4: pinky over pole
      Is it ok to skip step 2 (so the Silks don’t end up too thick)?

B) For the “tricky part”, would doing a pull up help to create the necessary space right before the rond de jambe?

Thanks 🙂

Silks Stars Team

Hi Janice-
        You can watch the Q & A replay. Brandon goes over details very thoroughly!

Janice
        Participant

I just watched the replay. There were so many tips, I actually had to take notes 🙂 Super thanks for that comprehensive Q&A.

Beatrice
      Participant

Just watched the Q&A and wanted to say a big thanks for answering all my questions so thoroughly! Tips were a huge help and I’m super excited to go try them out tonight 😁

Silks Stars Team

You’re welcome, Beatrice!

Jenny
        Participant

Ditto for what Beatrice wrote. Q&A so helpful!

Jenny
      Participant

Hey guys I need help. I am getting torquing pressure/pain in my right knee ( sousou standing leg ) when I get into the forward balancing section….Is the wrap too high or low? How can I fix this? I don’t usually have problems with my knees. Also wrapping wrong I think for the stand out….

https://www.silksstars.com/wp-content/uploads/rtMedia/users/154/2022/08/Silks-practise.mov?1660576565

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Jenny.
      Silks Stars Team

Hi Jenny!
      Your wrap looks like it’s placed properly . We recommend pulling some slack on the pole as you turn into it, engaging knee/quad area as much as you can, and moving through it to the next part. Hopefully this helps a little bit. Let us know!

ksamuelscrow
      Participant

I wasn’t able to attend the Q&A, but I really want to watch it. Could someone remind me how to find the recording? I suspect Brandon answered my questions there ….

Silks Stars Team

Go to Community tab, live q and a, August , password is Stand – Out

LauraDP
      Participant

Here’s my Final submission I don’t have a chance to train again this month. Thanks for this beautiful challenge, the star drop is my new favorite one!

Robin
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/robin/media/2723/
      Hi all! I did this in chunks until today. It is indeed a challenge and I hope to be able to slow down my flag. Fun!! Thanks!!

Manon
      Participant

https://www.silksstars.com/community/manon/media/2726/edit
      I’m having a hard time with my inversion into the S-wrap. Any cues would be greatly appreciated.

Silks Stars Team

Hi Manon- looks like there is a brief pause after the wrap comes off your foot. Try and invert as soon as the foot is free. That should help.

Kary
      Participant
      Silks Stars Team

Great work so far, Kary!

https://www.silksstars.com/community/the-heather-feather/media/2743/

Here is my submission, just in case I don’t have another chance to play with it.
      Loved loved loved this one!!!

Yvan
      Participant

Happy 2 year anniversary!!! 🥳🎊🍾🎈🎁
      I am soooooo happy I was able to squeeze some training time to complete the sequence this month. For a moment I thought I had to skip a choreo…
      I just uploaded my final submission 🙂❤️. This month it was very tight with my schedule. It is far from perfect and I had several incidents with my socks but I am really satisfied with the result.

https://www.silksstars.com/community/yvanlp/media/2755/

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.